Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Greeters
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:13 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
Does your church have greeters at Sunday Mass?

:wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Post subject: Re: Greeters
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:09 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

Religion: Catholic
Yes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:47 pm 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
I really don’t pay attention. I find them annoying and distracting as I’m trying to get in for Mass and I consider it a victory if I can get to the pew without having to socialize.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:39 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
I really don’t pay attention. I find them annoying and distracting as I’m trying to get in for Mass and I consider it a victory if I can get to the pew without having to socialize.

I tell my wife if I wanted to shmooze I'd join one of those big-box churches and get a cuppa coffee on the way to my seat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:48 am 
There Can Be Only One

Riverboat wrote:
Mrs. Timmy wrote:

I tell my wife if I wanted to shmooze I'd join one of those big-box churches and get a cuppa coffee on the way to my seat.

Well, said, both of you. Don't forget to pick up a doughnut.

However, there are many Catholics who have left the Church because other venues offer a social experience that is quite different that every parish I have attended. When visiting friends a week or so ago, DW attended a Baptist church with the family. She remarked about how pleasant and welcoming and energetic and happy and social everything was. I'll be keeping an eye on her.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:16 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
not only do we have greeters (typically they hold the door open at two of the main entrances to the church so we need 18 folks to serve every weekend), but when there is a "call to serve" plea coming from the priest during Mass, that is one of the ministries that is singled out

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:05 pm 
Potty Hollerer
Potty Hollerer

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but for new faces it can be a good thing in several ways.
Not only for non-Catholics, but for any visitors, and in a college town there tends to be a lot of visitors.
Even for direction into the main church, or to the washrooms ...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:46 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Highlander wrote:
Don't forget to pick up a doughnut.

Mm. Donuts. Who doesn't like a good doughnut with coffee? Hey, here's an idea - Open up the parish hall for doughnuts and coffee, and invite newcomers to shmooze with the regulars. The door-greeters get their ministry, the newcomers get to feel good about the parish, and, you know, doughnuts. And the rest of us can find our own seat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:26 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
We do not have official greeters as such, but if I see a face I don't know, I make it a point to be sure to give them a friendly welcome and if there is time, to ask a little about them.

We are a very small parish ( 25 people on any Sunday ) that almost went under two years ago due to some decisions which our bishop made that put us in a deep financial hole. We need new members, and it is conducive to getting them to be sure that strangers know they are welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:37 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
Light of the East wrote:
We do not have official greeters as such, but if I see a face I don't know, I make it a point to be sure to give them a friendly welcome and if there is time, to ask a little about them.

We are a very small parish ( 25 people on any Sunday ) that almost went under two years ago due to some decisions which our bishop made that put us in a deep financial hole. We need new members, and it is conducive to getting them to be sure that strangers know they are welcome.

Is your Byzantine Catholic church the only one in the diocese?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:43 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: As I understand it.....in God's will. This is the best place to be.
Religion: Orthodox (In Communion With Rome)
Church Affiliations: Past Grand Knight KoC 15107
Petronius wrote:
Light of the East wrote:

Is your Byzantine Catholic church the only one in the diocese?

Hmmmmmm.......how do I answer that?

We are listed on the web page of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Arlington, but we are part of the Eparchy of Philadelphia of the Ukrainian Catholic Church. There are three Byzantine Catholic churches in the diocese. I just looked on the diocesan web page and all three, including our parish, are listed in the list.

However, even though we are listed in that site, the bishop who made the decision for us (buying a rectory and establishing a permanent priest, neither of which we could afford) is His Grace Bishop John in the Eparchy of Philadelphia. I don't think (I could be wrong) that Arlington has jurisdiction over us, so I wonder why we are listed in their list, other than our communion with Rome.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:01 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Church Affiliations: KoC, Legion of Mary
I find them annoying. If I'm visiting a parish and I don't know anyone there the last thing in the world I want to do is have a painfully awkward interaction on my way in. So long as the Holy Eucharist is present in the tabernacle, I'm home, regardless any "welcome the stranger" initiative.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 am 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
+1

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:16 am 
Citizen
Citizen

+2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
We have ushers who open the door, help latecomers find a seat (for special days when it is crowded), hand out bulletins after mass.