Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Latin for Slackers
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:43 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: RCIA Candidate
Slackers like me. Believe it or not I actually took five years of Latin in middle/high school. It has been 17 years since my last Latin class and I have not used it at all since (Baptists aren't big into Latin). Now I will also go on record and say I was one the most lackluster of five year Latin students. Quite frankly I'm not sure how I got by (other than by being an above test taker). So I'm not someone who would only need a minor refresher; I might need more substantial relearning. But at the same time I did sit in class for five years, surely something is still in there that can be tapped into (I still remember "sum, es, est, sumus, estis, sunt", the first declension song, Happy Birthday in Latin, and a weird hybrid Latin-English version of Up on the Housetop - Up on the Domo).

So, are there any good resources, particularly in print, to help brush up and be able to use my Latin again?

I dont plan on being a scholar or Latin tutor; not doing any hardcore translation of lost manuscripts; dont need to get a 100% on a Latin exam. :), I guess im still a bit of a slacker; I'll settle for being alright and able to use Latin in some circumstances. I would settle for being able to read something in Latin... prayer book, or Christian classics like Cur Deus Homo, or even the Aeneid.

Partially it would just be something to do at work. When we are slow between calls or radio transmissions we can read or do whatever (so long as it isnt electronic device). Some sew, crochet, clip coupons, do puzzles, crosswords, sudoku, or do those adult coloring books. I read mostly, or write. Ive certainly got enough to keep me engaged just with English, but from time to time I catch myself wondering if I could rather pickup Latin again instead of something more inane (like sudoku or coloring books).

Anyone ever re-learn Latin? Was it very time consuming? Or was it even harder to really keep up with once you were out of school?

Thanks all

ETA: I also wont be disappointed if someone has good advice advising that it may not be worth the time or effort. I mean I've gone 17 years without it, my life will still be quite content without it if it takes an exceptional amount of time. Ive got limited time and...let's face it...limited commitment. So if it requires lots of dedication id like to know that too.

Post subject: Re: Latin for Slackers
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:57 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Get the New Testament in Latin. You already have a pretty good idea what most of it is saying.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:08 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Get the New Testament in Latin. You already have a pretty good idea what most of it is saying.

That was advice from another priest about learning Spanish... to get a Spanish NT and dig in.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:11 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Speaking of language immersion: http://www.cafepress.com/+latin+gifts

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap: