Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Eucharistic Prayers I-IV
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:16 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I bought a copy of the full Sunday Missal because it was cheap (only $23.95) and because I figured that if I had something to use to follow along during Mass I would have fewer distractions and my mind wouldn't wander as much as it has recently.

I've just about figured out how to follow along completely, including recognizing what all of the options are for the various parts of the Mass and which options are most commonly used.

The one thing I haven't figured out is the Eucharistic prayer, there are four options (actually, there are far more than that, but the other options are for situations I am unlikely to encounter very often, like a funeral Mass).

Is the choice of which Eucharistic prayer to use in a given week completely up to the whim of the celebrant, or are there some kind of rules that govern when each of the four is to be used, like a certain time of year?

Where it switches to the Eucharistic prayer is the part where it became difficult to follow along because all I can do is flip through the options and see which one is being used this week, which is cumbersome.

Post subject: Re: Eucharistic Prayers I-IV
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:29 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
GIRM (General Instruction of the Roman Missal) indicates the choice of the Eucharistic Prayer in #364-365. You can find GIRM at the start of the Roman Missal, the very book a priest uses on the altar.

Eucharistic Prayer I, #365a, is usually used on Sundays.

Eucharistic Prayer II, #365b, is appropriately used on weekdays or in special circumstances.

Eucharistic Prayer III, #365c, is preferred on Sundays and feast days.

Eucharistic Prayer IV, #365d, is used when a Mass has no preface of its own or on Sundays of the Ordinary Time.

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:38 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
As lbt points out, there are "preferences," but which Eucharistic Prayer to use is 100% up to the celebrant. One often hears EP II because it is short and therefore, easiest.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:57 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
My pastor, as far as I can tell, never uses EP I (aka the Roman Canon). I hear it occasionally when I'm visiting another parish - most recently, IIRC, a couple of weeks ago at St. Michael's in Columbus, Ohio.

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

=============================================================

Profile picture is the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan, taken from the Star Line Ferry on August 31, 2019.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:00 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
On major feasts and feasts of saints who are mentioned in the Roman Canon, I use EP I. On other feasts and on most Sundays, I use EP III. On ferial days, I will use II or III most of the time. I use IV once in a blue moon. But that's me. The choice is pretty much that of the celebrant.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:04 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Speed Racer wrote:
My pastor, as far as I can tell, never uses EP I (aka the Roman Canon). I hear it occasionally when I'm visiting another parish - most recently, IIRC, a couple of weeks ago at St. Michael's in Columbus, Ohio.

Sad

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:29 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic (Syro Malabar)
http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2014/ja ... ng-canons/

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite