Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: A popular Bible translation is now literally the unchang
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:54 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I don't have an exegesis handy for the new version; the older one fits better with, for example, St. JP II's Theology of the Body. That's why I said the new one moves up my scale; it's not "probably correct," which I would say about the old one; it is defensible, but I would like to see a deeper explanation of that defense before I'd be happy about the change.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
For the record, the best translation of the New Testament is the Vulgata!

But in all seriousness (or maybe I was serious), the defects inherent to translation is something very hard to understand unless you have obtained some proficiency in another language. Even closely related languages have such nuances and differences....

When reading the NT in English I actually prefer Lattimore's translation. I don't pretend it is the best for theology, but it is written in a style for more natural to the general character of the Greek text. E.g., verses and chapters- latter additions anyways- are deemphasized for a more natural wholeness to the text. Plus Lattimore was really good at get the inner character of Greek across. But there are unavoidable pitfalls.

I remember writing a paper on some pericope in John. Some translators rendered a passage one way, others quite another, and there was some fierce disagreement among exegetes. I remember reading modern exegetes, like Raymond Brown, and seeing no convincing resolution. When I decided to read some of the Greek Fathers, and Augustine, on the same passage... well they explained it in a way that included both interpretations... they saw both in the Greek. Greek allowed a dual meaning, that could not be rendered the same in English. That is just something you are never going to wholly overcome when translating.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:56 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
E.g., "born again" vs. "born from above."

Need something to read?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 23 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2