Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2

Separation of men and women in the church
It is practiced, I do not like it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It is practiced, I like it. 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
It is not practiced, I do not like it. 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
It is not practiced, I like it. 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Re: Separation of men and women in the church
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:35 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Endow facilitator
I'd much prefer to sit with my husband and children (especially when the children are young), although if our parish had separate seating for men and women, I'd deal with it.

"Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup?" --St. John Bosco

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:06 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

It is not practiced here and I'm glad it's not.

Dh and I became one when we got married. There's enough separation in our lives. Being together, kneeling together in Mass is a blessed way to keep us united as we walk this journey of faith together.

We must neither doubt nor hesitate with respect to the words of the Lord; rather, we must be fully persuaded that every word of God is true and possible, even if our nature should rebel against the idea-for in this lies the test of faith.
St. Basil the Great

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:04 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I think families should be allowed to sit together. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:50 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
I've attended services where this is still the practice (Protestant, Amish). What struck me was how WELL behaved the children were, and how many men were holding the little kids/toddlers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
One thing to bear in mind is think about unattached men and women. Separated sitting can help them not be distracted.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:54 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Thomas Waleys wrote:
One thing to bear in mind is think about unattached men and women. Separated sitting can help them not be distracted.

That is a good point too!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:55 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

kage_ar wrote:
I've attended services where this is still the practice (Protestant, Amish). What struck me was how WELL behaved the children were, and how many men were holding the little kids/toddlers.

I love it! ::): You'd sure be happy to be the mother of all boys...time to yourself for an hour a week! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:47 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
The 1917 CIC said this

Can 1262 §1. Optandum ut, congruenter antiquae disciplinae, mulieres in ecclesia separatae sint a viris.

It is hoped/desired that, agreeing with ancient disciplines, women be separated from men in Church

A commentary I have observes that in the ancient Church, public penitents occupied the vestibule, catechumens the rear of the nave, and the faithful in the side aisles- men the right side of the entrance and women the left side.

I also got it backwards earlier. This means women are on the Gospel side, men on the Epistle side. The symbolism is that the Gospel was first announced to the women (Christ's resurrection). It explains why the bride is on that side. Compared, on the other hand, how, with regard to seats of honor, a president, e.g., is sat on the epistle side but a king on the Gospel side. The sedilia (where the priest seats) was on the epistle side, but the Cathedra (where a bishop presides from) is on the Gospel side. So women, actually, have the "honored" side.

I also found out that it is still practice by some of the older Mexicans in some areas of Mexico. Children under seven were usually with their mothers, regardless of sex, but could be with their fathers.

The commentary I read also mentioned that it would be very difficult to fulill the desire of the Church here, because of the tradition of family pews. That tradition dates to the custom in the US, and England, of CHARGING MONEY for pews. Family pews is synonymous with pew rentals. Or, in many protestant and a few Catholic Churches (especially in the south) the selling of box pews.

Remember, traditionally the Church does not have pews/seats, except for the sedilia, cathedra, choir stalls and for some dignitaries (mayors/barons/etc)

Pews were a money making thing and it made sense that would would stick their family name on one. This became popular in England because of Greed. Seriously, at one point almost a million people in London were unable to go to Church because pews became mandatory and they could not afford the high rent. But it became popular among Catholics because, in England, the US and other protestant countries the Church did not receive the canonical tithes (Church tithes were collected and required in Catholic countries). So it was THE primary source of funding.

Waves of poor in New York, and certain reformers, led to the end of selling/renting pews, but by that time sitting with family had become customary.

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
kage_ar wrote:

(As you know, we Syriacs have it, and) I also like the fact that children in the front pray and sing loudly. I have heard infants crying in the church only 3-5 times in my entire life.

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:09 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Christian
In the different Roman Catholic churches I have been to, I have not seen a separation of men and women.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2