Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Rod Stewart
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:51 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Ancient Oracle wrote:
Who's that ???

Kids!

I knew I was getting old when, many years ago, I overheard one kid say to another, "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in another group before Wings?"

:salut:

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:16 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
rod didn't make the list... bob did...at #1 8-) :cloud9:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictu ... s-20140402

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:43 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
When Rod started recording show tunes, he lost me. Next I expect him to have a show in Branson, Mo. :verymad:

He never recorded 'show tunes', the fact that you even used that phrase, makes me wonder if you know what a 'show tune' is. A 'show tune' is a song from a broadway musical. Rod Stewart has never recorded 'show tunes', what he did record was 5 volumes of 'standards', songs by people like Irving Berlin, the Gershwins, Hoagy Carmichael or Cole Porter. That ain't 'show tunes'.

And the reason why he decided to record standards is basic common sense. His rock and roll records were no longer selling. His producer told him that since the young people are no longer interested, he should shoot for an older audience. What do older audiences listen to? Standards. Albums of standards are always popular, precisely because the songs themselves are always popular. And they are popular because they are GOOD, the fact that they are good is why they became a standard. And one of those albums of standards was actually an album of rock standards, covering songs by Chuck Berry, Bob Seger, The Pretenders, Eric Claption and Van Morrison. And he did an album of Motown covers also. Hardly 'show tunes', although there is nothing wrong with 'show tunes'.

Darn, how did I miss THIS debate. I should have said "show tunes" as I was using that as a generic term for "songs that would be sung on the Lawrence Welk show". I do watch the Lawrence Welk Show, BTW. Not a big Gershwin fan. And when it comes to Broadway Show Tunes, I am more of a Oscar and Steve and Gilbert and Sullivan kinda gal.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:16 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
kage_ar wrote:
Doom wrote:
kage_ar wrote:
When Rod started recording show tunes, he lost me. Next I expect him to have a show in Branson, Mo. :verymad:

He never recorded 'show tunes', the fact that you even used that phrase, makes me wonder if you know what a 'show tune' is. A 'show tune' is a song from a broadway musical. Rod Stewart has never recorded 'show tunes', what he did record was 5 volumes of 'standards', songs by people like Irving Berlin, the Gershwins, Hoagy Carmichael or Cole Porter. That ain't 'show tunes'.

And the reason why he decided to record standards is basic common sense. His rock and roll records were no longer selling. His producer told him that since the young people are no longer interested, he should shoot for an older audience. What do older audiences listen to? Standards. Albums of standards are always popular, precisely because the songs themselves are always popular. And they are popular because they are GOOD, the fact that they are good is why they became a standard. And one of those albums of standards was actually an album of rock standards, covering songs by Chuck Berry, Bob Seger, The Pretenders, Eric Claption and Van Morrison. And he did an album of Motown covers also. Hardly 'show tunes', although there is nothing wrong with 'show tunes'.

Darn, how did I miss THIS debate. I should have said "show tunes" as I was using that as a generic term for "songs that would be sung on the Lawrence Welk show". I do watch the Lawrence Welk Show, BTW. Not a big Gershwin fan. And when it comes to Broadway Show Tunes, I am more of a Oscar and Steve and Gilbert and Sullivan kinda gal.

If I ever get money again, I intend to purchase stock in Sony/ATV Publishing, which is a publicly traded music publishing company, the world's largest, with a library of more than 2.4 million songs...including the complete works of

The Beatles
Michael Jackson
Elvis
The entire Liber/Stoller catalog
Bob Dylan
Dovovan
Duke Ellington
Miles Davis
Hank Williams
James Brown
Jimi Hendrix
Little Richard
Patsy Cline
Roy Orbison
The Everly Brothers
The Kinks
The Searchers

And many, many, many others...

The way I look at it, songs by musicians like The Beatles, Elvis, Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, Michael Jackson etc are not going to stop earning money any time soon, people are not going to suddenly stop doing covers of classic songs, radio stations are not going to stop playing them, they won't stop being used in movies and TV.... music publishing is just about the closest you'll ever come to a guaranteed money maker.....Sony/ATV Publishing is not going to have any trouble making money from their huge catalog anytime soon, and an investment in the company is absolutely going to pay off....the stock price is going to keep going up....it's not going to slow down, not even in a recession....

Therefore.....let it burn.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2