The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

Rock
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=108980
Page 4 of 6

Author:  Ancient Oracle [ Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Candlemass wrote:
Ancient Oracle wrote:
You are #6! :twisted:


I am not a number. I am a free man!


::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::):[/quote]

Who is number 1?

Whose side are you on?

Author:  Candlemass [ Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

I am the new #2.

Author:  Ancient Oracle [ Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Candlemass wrote:
I am the new #2.


Be seeing you!


are you unmutual?

Author:  Candlemass [ Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Ok, you lost me now! :?:

Author:  Ancient Oracle [ Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Candlemass wrote:
Ok, you lost me now! :?:


Just one episode. 'A Change of Mind'

My favorite is 'Hammer into Anvil'

Author:  Bombadil [ Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Carole wrote:
Athanasius wrote:
Candlemass wrote:
I agree w/Carole, it's a case by case thing. What might be sin here for some may not be for another. Perhaps there will be a time when I can listed to this or that and it not affect me, perhaps not.


Why on earth would either of you listen to any music if it did not affect your mood. What both of you have said is a load of rubbish.

CDL


I didn't say music doesn't affect my mood. Though, truth be told, more often my mood affects my music choices - listening to a cheerful song when I am in a bad mood will not cheer me up nor will listening to a depressing song bring me down if I am in a good mood. I choose music that suits the mood I am already in.

But I digress.

My point is that the music is simply not that important. I just don't see that listening to the majority of music (rock or otherwise) is a sin. In my real life experiences the only people I have met who have held the opinion that listening to current/modern music is a sin suffer from scrupulosity.

The idea that rock n' roll is "of the devil" or sinful is, in my opinion, absurd.

Particularly given the fact that much of the music that is considered "Classical" and acceptable by the same internet pundits who pronounce Rock to be the devil's music was considered unacceptable or influenced by Satan in its time.

I think people give far too much credit to Rock n Roll. Sinfulness, lust, greed, anger, hatred, pride, arrogance ... all of these sins existed before Rock came along and they will exist long after it has gone.

It's just music.

First I never said that any music was a sin to listen to. Second, if music is so stoopid, why does God have it playing all the time in heaven?

Author:  Carole [ Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Bombadil wrote:
First I never said that any music was a sin to listen to. Second, if music is so stoopid, why does God have it playing all the time in heaven?


First, I wasn't talking to you or about you. I was addressing the person I quoted. It's pretty simple.

Second, I didn't say it is "stoopid." Not only would I not say that music is stupid, I would never spell it that way. I reserve that for ignorant teens.

Third, I said that it isn't that important - meaning that I don't think it is a sin to listen to music - any music.

If you're going to quote and address your remarks to someone you should make an effort to understand what they are saying and to whom they are speaking. It saves you from looking like a fool.

Author:  Athanasius [ Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

The studies show that there is an objective reality to the beat of music. I don't care about all of the subjective talk that seeks to make the beat mean nothing. If the discussion is just about feelings and subjective desires that control ones decisions it isn't worth having. Since that seems the case I won't post on this silly thread any more.

CDL

Author:  Bombadil [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Carole wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
First I never said that any music was a sin to listen to. Second, if music is so stoopid, why does God have it playing all the time in heaven?


First, I wasn't talking to you or about you. I was addressing the person I quoted. It's pretty simple.

Second, I didn't say it is "stoopid." Not only would I not say that music is stupid, I would never spell it that way. I reserve that for ignorant teens.

Third, I said that it isn't that important - meaning that I don't think it is a sin to listen to music - any music.

If you're going to quote and address your remarks to someone you should make an effort to understand what they are saying and to whom they are speaking. It saves you from looking like a fool.

Everything you had said was completely idiotic. I'm hoping that you have realized that now and that is why you are having such a hard time admitting it.

Author:  Candlemass [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9OYfCRXC5k

Author:  Carole [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Bombadil wrote:
Everything you had said was completely idiotic. I'm hoping that you have realized that now and that is why you are having such a hard time admitting it.


Ah yes. The hallmark of the truly intellectual debate. When someone doesn't agree with you just call them or their point idiotic. Very conducive to helping someone see your side of the debate.

Yawn. What a bore.

Oh and while hope springs eternal ... I'd give up hoping on this one if I were you. I just don't see this as the major problem that you do and I certainly don't see it as a sin. I see that those are your opinions - and you are entitled to hold them and live your lives accordingly. However, they are just that. The opinions of two armchair theologians. They are not binding on anyone else.

If you have a problem with Rock (or any other) music - then I strongly suggest you don't listen to it. But claiming that it is of the devil is as absurd as the people who tried to say that Paganini sold his soul to the devil.

It tiresome when people try to make their personal scruples binding on everyone.

Author:  Athanasius [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Carole,

I really do wish you'd stop posting on this thread. Start a new one if you wish to discuss only your subjective feelings. You have not addressed the issue of this thread. Perhaps you don't understand it or appreciate objective reality. I don't know. Why not start your own thread?

CDL

Author:  Carole [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Athanasius wrote:
Carole,

I really do wish you'd stop posting on this thread. Start a new one if you wish to discuss only your subjective feelings. You have not addressed the issue of this thread. Perhaps you don't understand it or appreciate objective reality. I don't know. Why not start your own thread?

CDL


So someone disagrees with you and your response is to insult them and insinuate that they have not the intellectual capacity to understand what you are saying? Again - the hallmark of true intellectualism.

Why didn't you tell Doom not to post earlier? He said pretty much the same thing that I am saying now. Yet you didn't accuse him of being unable of understanding or appreciating "objective reality."

My point, Dan, is that your statement that listening to rock music is a sin is not objective reality. It is your subjective opinion.

Author:  Bombadil [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

I'm sure Pope Benedict the XVI was completely out of his gourd when he wrote a chapter in his book on liturgy about the power of music. I'm sure the Church has also been wrong all these centuries about Sacred Music.

Author:  Candlemass [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

The point of this thread is pointless!

Of course music affects our mood, but what seems to be the espousal of some here is that all rock music affects us in the negative for everyone, wich is as Mother Angelica would say; applesauce!

Author:  Carole [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Bombadil wrote:
I'm sure Pope Benedict the XVI was completely out of his gourd when he wrote a chapter in his book on liturgy about the power of music. I'm sure the Church has also been wrong all these centuries about Sacred Music.


I never said any of what you are implying. There is a huge difference between what music is suitable for the sacrifice of the Mass - which is what the Holy Father was addressing in his book on the liturgy - and music which is listened to and enjoyed at other times. Even some of my favourite classical music (The Magic Flute for instance) is not appropriate to the Mass. That doesn't make it sinful or "of the devil."

Since you are clearly unwilling to engage in a civil conversation ... You're going on ignore.

Author:  Byblos [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Just saw an AC/DC concert and it was by far the BEST concert EVER. Even though they're not exactly a 'godly' group, I do enjoy their music immensely. Rock on!

Author:  Athanasius [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Carole wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
I'm sure Pope Benedict the XVI was completely out of his gourd when he wrote a chapter in his book on liturgy about the power of music. I'm sure the Church has also been wrong all these centuries about Sacred Music.


I never said any of what you are implying. There is a huge difference between what music is suitable for the sacrifice of the Mass - which is what the Holy Father was addressing in his book on the liturgy - and music which is listened to and enjoyed at other times. Even some of my favourite classical music (The Magic Flute for instance) is not appropriate to the Mass. That doesn't make it sinful or "of the devil."

Since you are clearly unwilling to engage in a civil conversation ... You're going on ignore.


Feeeeliiinngs...O, O, O Feelings. Go start your own thread. Stop whining while you are at it.

CDL

Author:  Carole [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Athanasius wrote:
Feeeeliiinngs...O, O, O Feelings. Go start your own thread. Stop whining while you are at it.

CDL


Dan,

I am not whining. I see no point in starting "my own thread." The fact that you don't like or agree with what I am saying does not preclude me from participation in "your" thread. I have given my opinion, you don't like it so now you want me to leave your thread ... And you accuse me of whining? Grow up, Dan.

Author:  Candlemass [ Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Rock

Byblos wrote:
Just saw an AC/DC concert and it was by far the BEST concert EVER. Even though they're not exactly a 'godly' group, I do enjoy their music immensely. Rock on!


My son really like them, I don't much care for them, I'm more into Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, AC/DC is a bit to reduntant for my taste.

Page 4 of 6 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/