Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 6   [ 110 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Rock
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:38 pm 
Defender
Defender

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: Catholic Monarchy
As much as I've tried to resist and as much as I don't like the drug associations with it there is much of rock that I do enjoy. I've always had a grudging appreciation for the Beattles who performed some of the best songs of the 60's and 70's. Jimmie Hendricks and that screamer from Texas still evoke fond memories. Heck, I even liked Bob Dylan. Pray for me. While you are at it did you like "Hey Jude", "Lucy in the Sky", "Purple Haze" and such? Are these just sinful tastes that hang on despite our best efforts or are they of some value for heaven?

Don't misunderstand, Jazz and classical still get top billing but every so often...I can still hear that "Yellow Submarine".

CDL

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

Post subject: Re: Rock
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:01 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Athanasius wrote:
As much as I've tried to resist and as much as I don't like the drug associations with it there is much of rock that I do enjoy. I've always had a grudging appreciation for the Beattles who performed some of the best songs of the 60's and 70's. Jimmie Hendricks and that screamer from Texas still evoke fond memories. Heck, I even liked Bob Dylan. Pray for me. While you are at it did you like "Hey Jude", "Lucy in the Sky", "Purple Haze" and such? Are these just sinful tastes that hang on despite our best efforts or are they of some value for heaven?

Don't misunderstand, Jazz and classical still get top billing but every so often...I can still hear that "Yellow Submarine".

CDL

"Hey Jude", only.

Personal reasons.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:16 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
The vast majority of rock music is just harmless fluff...I don't think there is anything 'sinful' about it, and of the minority of the rock music which actually has offensive content, a lot of that offensive content is covered up in obscure metaphor and euphemism that is hard to decipher by anyone who isn't actively LOOKING for offensive content.... I mean.... look at Jim Morrison song 'Love Me Two Times'.....allegedly this is an extremely vulgar and offensive song.... but this is by no means immediately apparent when hearing the song and its lyrics....

Honestly, I don't think there is anything 'sinful' about the vast majority of rock music.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:17 am 
Defender
Defender

Doom,

I hope you are right but just what was that "purple haze" that Jimmie sang so much about?

CDL

"To say that God turns away from the sinful is like saying that the sun hides from the blind." St. Anthony the Great (of the desert)

"There are those who hate Christianity and call their hatred an all-embracing love for all religions." — G.K. Chesterton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:41 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
By "rock," what do you mean? I just did my weekly downloads a little while ago and don't know how much of it I'd call rock.... Elvis Costello? Black Eyed Peas? Mos Def? Placebo? I'm head over heels for the new Rancid CD, but they're more like The Clash ("London Calling" era) and the new Sonic Youth CD, but it depends upon who you ask as to whether any of that's "rock." Everyone I know calls it "indie rock." The only current stuff that I'd call 'rock' is that Sammy Hagar side project Chickenfoot.

Although the vast majority is harmless fluff, there is nonetheless a resurgence in what used to be called the 'concept album': Green Day's CD (the one that got banned at the same Wal-Mart that allowed the x-rated "Zack and Miri" movie and the unrated "Saw 3": go Wal-Mart) and, in particular, Iggy Pop's new CD are both 'concept albums.' Iggy Pop's concept is a little more benign: it's all in French.

(And for those who think I have no taste in music (the CCM and gospel kind), I do like Mary Mary ("The Sound"), and more recently, "Free To Be Me" by Francesca Battistelli and "The Motions" by Matthew West. Is there any Catholic CCM, as opposed to the fundie-oriented CCM?)

So, I do think what "rock" means depends upon who you ask. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:06 am 
Defender
Defender

havana,

Sorry, I don't know any of those groups.

CDL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:45 am 

Religion: Christian
I've been a Led Zepellin fan since I was a teenager and some of their songs are decidedly suspect. I think the attraction is that there is a certain spirituality to the music. If you listen to "Kashmir" it has a mystical eastern influence with a whole load of rock thrown in - sounds great. I couldn't care a less what Robert Plant was rabbiting on about.

I treat most Rock like "meat sacrificed to idols," if it doesn't violate my conscience, I don't worry about it. I do draw the line on overtly offensive material and stuff that is sacrilegious.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:22 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I really like my rock. I know that some of it crosses the line, but most of it is fine. And I love Kashmir, too. My daughter and I enjoyed the Detroit Symphony Orchestra performing The Music of Led Zeppelin, with Randy Jackson doing vocals. It was an excellent show.

I like classic 60's and 70's stuff, and the British stuff that came to the US during the "British Invasion." I also like some of the newer stuff that my girls have introduced me to. Anyone here familiar with Apocalyptica?

I can appreciate just about any kind of music, with the exception of rap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:39 pm 
King of Cool

Athanasius wrote:
Doom,

I hope you are right but just what was that "purple haze" that Jimmie sang so much about?

CDL

'Purple Haze' is a long song, it describes the feeling of 'love at first sight', pay close attention to the lyrics, he sees a really beautiful and he is so struck by her beauty that he is in a kind of daze, the key to interpreting the song is the line in the first verse 'that girl put a spell on me'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:45 pm 
King of Cool

MySweetLord wrote:

Rap is not music, you steal a base line from someone else's song, and then you TALK, not sing but TALK over that baseline...... you call this 'music'? It has neither beat, nor rhythm, nor melody, nor even singing, nor anything that one would consider to be 'music'.....

ETA: Yeah, I know, everyone says 'it's a drug song', but Hendrix himself insisted that it was not, and given his general openness about his drug use, and the general social acceptability of drug use in the late 60's, he really had no reason to deny the song is about drugs other than that simply was not his intent.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:21 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: disillusioned
I'm a rock fan. I like a wide variety of rock and old R&B. My MP3 player currently has Jackie Wilson and Sam Cooke playing next to Disturbed and Motley Crue. I go in phases. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the music my mom and dad listened to when I was a kid (50s and early 60s rock) at other times it's the music I listened to in high school (heavy metal) and sometimes I like newer bands (like Disturbed and Hinder).

I'm not a huge fan of most pop music (Lady Gaga, Brittney Spears, Beyonce, etc) and I am not a huge fan of what passes these days as R&B. But I do have fairly eclectic taste in music and I agree with Doom (I'm saying that a lot lately - finally reaching the age where I can say I fit in here must have mellowed me). Yes, there is some music that crosses the line but the vast majority of music (rock included) is, if not harmless, at least neutral.

Even though my life is falling apart at the seams ... I find comfort in the fact that I'm not a stripper.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:53 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Doom wrote:
MySweetLord wrote:

Rap is not music, you steal a base line from someone else's song, and then you TALK, not sing but TALK over that baseline...... you call this 'music'? It has neither beat, nor rhythm, nor melody, nor even singing, nor anything that one would consider to be 'music'.....

The first rap song (according to Casey Kasem) was "Rapture" by Blondie. She sang in that.

Of course rap is music. Nobody steals other peoples' bass lines anymore (that's a myth) and of course there's a melody. The Best Song at the Oscars a few years ago was from that movie "Hustle & Flow." It's so melodic there are still parodies of it. If there's no melody, then why are so many hip-hop tracks downloaded as ring tones?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:56 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
Athanasius wrote:
Jimmie Hendricks and that screamer from Texas still evoke fond memories.
CDL

dude that's jimi hendrix and who in the world is the screamer from texas :scratch: buddy holly doesn't fit , and neither does srv

to answer your initial question , i am a child of the 60s and loved ALL the music from that period...and into the 70s... in fact , when i listen to the radio (which is seldom) , i'm still tuning in to the classic rock stations in the area...we are blessed to have 2 :cloud9: the 80s were a waste for the most part for me afa music...with a few exceptions

it's rock and roll all the way always and forever for me 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:50 pm 
Defender
Defender

Janis Joplin.

CDL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:54 am 
Master
Master

Doom wrote:
The vast majority of rock music is just harmless fluff...I don't think there is anything 'sinful' about it, and of the minority of the rock music which actually has offensive content, a lot of that offensive content is covered up in obscure metaphor and euphemism that is hard to decipher by anyone who isn't actively LOOKING for offensive content.... I mean.... look at Jim Morrison song 'Love Me Two Times'.....allegedly this is an extremely vulgar and offensive song.... but this is by no means immediately apparent when hearing the song and its lyrics....

Honestly, I don't think there is anything 'sinful' about the vast majority of rock music.

Robby Kreiger wrote that one. He said it was about the men who went off to war, their women would "love them 2X" to make it last.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:02 am 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Athanasius wrote:
Janis Joplin.

CDL

she could sing the blues...no doubt about it... no wonder i couldn't figure it out...i was thinking of the wrong sex :oops:

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:56 am 
Master
Master

I agree w/Doom's assertions for the most part. However w/someone like me, much of The Doors has been associated w/a decedant lifestyle, that was the soundtrack if you will for my living in a distant land. It's hard for me to listen to them now w/out those feelings being stirred up, it was far more intense when I was emulating Jim! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:28 am 
Defender
Defender

Some Music from my favorite "rock" group http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja35dyPxE74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP7rjppeRA0

This isn't bad either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCwCBh0z3Hs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:54 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

#1 could make out none of the song

#2 heard a little of the song

#3 even with equipment problems , hendrix rooooolzzzzzzzzzz

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:09 am 
Defender
Defender

faithfulservant wrote:
#1 could make out none of the song

#2 heard a little of the song

#3 even with equipment problems , hendrix rooooolzzzzzzzzzz

The problems you had with 1 and 2 all go back to the fact that you were trying to make out the words. My violin playing son had the same problem when he went to college. His friends kept asking him why he liked all those songs without words. :? :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 6   [ 110 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next