Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Anti-Chritian Practices
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:16 pm 

Religion: Christianity
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
The magi used their knowledge of astronomy, not astrology. They took the sudden appearance of a bright star as a sign from heaven (which it was). I’m oversimplifying greatly, but that’s the bottom line.

i thought astronomy was just observing the heavenly bodies and making calculations. so if i go out in the backyard tonight and observe certain patterns in the sky and use those patterns to predict a future event, the birth of my sisters kid and will the kid be a boy or girl , thats just normal everyday astronomy? with respect that doesnt sound like astronomy to me. but maybe i am wrong, i make mistakes all the time.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:48 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It's not clear what the Magi saw or what system they used to interpret it.

Astrology as fortune-telling has the same problem as other forms of fortune-telling:

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.
Catechism of the Catholic Church

The Magi weren't doing that; they saw something in the sky that told them about a present event.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:33 pm 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
It's not clear what the Magi saw or what system they used to interpret it.

Astrology as fortune-telling has the same problem as other forms of fortune-telling:

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.
Catechism of the Catholic Church

The Magi weren't doing that; they saw something in the sky that told them about a present event.

so if i want to look to the skies for a past event or present event its ok as long as i dont look for signs of future events?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:36 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

If you have reason to believe that doing so would be helpful.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:15 pm 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

i wouldnt know the first thing about it, in baptist churches we were taught those things were the devil. me personally i dont think they are. it seems like anything that could lead to personal revelation is off limits and we are told to read the bible, and nothing else. Jesus was taught by the Father, the 12 were taught by Jesus, it would be nice to have experience like that rather than just reading about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:26 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Astrology is bad. I worked with someone who had a book about astrology unlike anything I'd seen before. It was divination. There was a formula involved that was quite complicated. When I asked him if there was anything to it, he said he thought there was.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:16 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: la foi Catholique
Church Affiliations: K of C 4th Degree
jaybird wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

i wouldnt know the first thing about it, in baptist churches we were taught those things were the devil. me personally i dont think they are. it seems like anything that could lead to personal revelation is off limits and we are told to read the bible, and nothing else. Jesus was taught by the Father, the 12 were taught by Jesus, it would be nice to have experience like that rather than just reading about it.

Another important difference is that the Wise Man had a prophecy which they expected to be fufilled.

"I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not near. A STAR SHALL RISE out of Jacob and a sceptre shall spring up from Israel: and shall strike the chiefs of Moab, and shall waste all the children of Seth." (Number 24:17)

So while it might be generally bad and superstitious to speculate about the meanings of stars and heavenly bodies, the Magi lived at a time when they were told one specific celestial event (the rising of a star from Israel) would be a sign of something. So they looked for that particular sign.

Tiber swim team '13

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:27 pm 

im sorry guys but im just having the hardest time understanding this. it makes no sense to me the the Most High would create the stars so that we would have signs, but if we look to the stars for signs its bad?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:35 pm 

ForeverFaithful wrote:
jaybird wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Another important difference is that the Wise Man had a prophecy which they expected to be fufilled.

"I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not near. A STAR SHALL RISE out of Jacob and a sceptre shall spring up from Israel: and shall strike the chiefs of Moab, and shall waste all the children of Seth." (Number 24:17)

So while it might be generally bad and superstitious to speculate about the meanings of stars and heavenly bodies, the Magi lived at a time when they were told one specific celestial event (the rising of a star from Israel) would be a sign of something. So they looked for that particular sign.

how did they know which star? Jacob, scepter, Isreal, etc all seem to represent something celestial. how did they know what all that meant?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:36 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Quote:
it makes no sense to me that the Most High would create the stars so that we would have signs

Where did this come from?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:39 pm 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Quote:
it makes no sense to me that the Most High would create the stars so that we would have signs

Where did this come from?

Genesis 1:14
And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years,

it says signs and seasons. The hebrew for signs is “oth” defined as banners (1), omens (1), pledge (1), sign (43), signs (30), standards (1), witness (1), wondrous (1).
im using an ESV and the Douay Rheims has the same transl;ation.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:08 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I figured there was an obvious answer I was missing.

Do signs have to deal with the future?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:28 pm 

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I figured there was an obvious answer I was missing.

Do signs have to deal with the future?

i wouldnt think so, i would think that it could be any message. im not trying to advocate for people to go out and learn how to read star signs, im just saying that i am not comfortable calling signs from the heavens bad if the Lord sends signs from the heavens. IMO bad is calling the Lords work bad. hope that makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:47 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I see your point. I would (and do) say in reply that signs foretelling the future are a problem, not signs in general. After all, John's Gospel talks about the signs Jesus worked.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:55 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Farmers (use to, anyway) use the positions of the stars and phases of the moon as signs. :fyi:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:00 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

For planting? Nothing wrong with that.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:33 pm 
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
For planting? Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, that's what I meant. The word "signs" can mean so many things.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:47 pm 

my family farmed rice in south east arkansas. i remember my papaw teaching me how to make the proper rice offerings to the constellations of orion and cygnus to ensure a good harvest.
im just kidding about the offerings, we would usually plant mid may and flood the fields the end of june. you havent lived until you flipped a levy gate and have a nest of cotton mouths come after you. the meanest snake on the planet.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2