Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 36 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Any fans of Audiobooks ?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:49 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

ElenaMarie wrote:
GKC wrote:
MissBorgia wrote:
I will read a book while treating myself to lunch. sitting in the park etc. Otherwise audio has really been my thing. Love my audible subscription.

Love my books. All 30 thousand (approx) of them. It's been an affair for the ages.

You win. I don't know what but you win.

Books, I hope. Ordered 3 books this weekend.

But as the shadows gather, I think about the monster I have created. Should start selling off the more valuable. Soon. Maybe.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:09 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Roman Catholic
GKC wrote:

Sounds like the perfect prize! BTW great to see you GK. :wave

Quote:
But as the shadows gather, I think about the monster I have created. Should start selling off the more valuable. Soon. Maybe.

That's a real treasure. Is no one interested in taking over custodianship when the time comes? My dad had by weight almost one ton of books (measured when he moved to another state and the movers charged by weight) and I wish my brother hadn't taken them all to the library or dump. My dad was an amateur geologist, a for-real rocket scientist and was partial to books on scientific, war and general history. I would've treasured those volumes.

I'm going to recommend Chesterton to my eldest son as he begins his conversion journey. I think he's going to find Chesterton not only fascinating but informative.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:41 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

ElenaMarie wrote:
GKC wrote:

Sounds like the perfect prize! BTW great to see you GK. :wave

Quote:

That's a real treasure. Is no one interested in taking over custodianship when the time comes? My dad had by weight almost one ton of books (measured when he moved to another state and the movers charged by weight) and I wish my brother hadn't taken them all to the library or dump. My dad was an amateur geologist, a for-real rocket scientist and was partial to books on scientific, war and general history. I would've treasured those volumes.

I'm going to recommend Chesterton to my eldest son as he begins his conversion journey. I think he's going to find Chesterton not only fascinating but informative.

And great to see you, too. And all the interesting stuff going on in your family. I hope the idea of Chesterton goes over well.

It is a treasure, in my eyes. And yes, in theory, it has a destined home: My daughter. She and her husband are book collectors themselves (and book pilferers and borrowers). On one subject last year, she browsed my focused collection of books on a particular WWII subject. Selected maybe 40 she would like to "borrow". I let her borrow a couple, gave her a couple that I had duplicates of, and told her that I'd accumulate copies of all the others for her, by the next time see visited. Which I did. So she has a nice selection, and my reference library is not diminished.

She knows that, at the end, all her mother and I own will go to her, absent some trifling sentimental stuff to one or two other folk. And that extends far beyond the books and other hobbies. I myself am the focus of 3 other family estates, and very sentimental in keeping stuff. So the kid gets all that. And likewise, from my sister, the kid gets a ton. So she will be looking at a considerable pile of loot. I have warned her.

But I likely will dispose of some portions of the library, by attempting to sell off more valuable items, for my wife's benefit. She will only get a portion of my military retirement pay, so a few thousands in book money might help. And Ive already begun to dispose of some duplicates and "potato chip" books, to friends, relatives and the little free library in front the chapel my parish maintains over at the local university. And I can and have donated books to sell to the county library. And still I haven't achieved a net loss in the total. It is a worry.

Books. A tremendous burden. Can't live without them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:51 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

GKC wrote:

And great to see you, too. And all the interesting stuff going on in your family. I hope the idea of Chesterton goes over well.

Me too. He's already expressed a lot of Chesterton's less popular opinions on social topics so I think the two will mesh well.

Quote:
It is a treasure, in my eyes.

My rural public library doesn't have that many books on the shelves. By any measure it's a treasure.

Quote:
But I likely will dispose of some portions of the library, by attempting to sell off more valuable items, for my wife's benefit. She will only get a portion of my military retirement pay, so a few thousands in book money might help.

Makes perfect sense. Tell Ms. GK hi for me?

Quote:

Seems like every good thing in life is like that. Spouses, children, grandchildren . . ..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:59 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

ElenaMarie wrote:
GKC wrote:

Me too. He's already expressed a lot of Chesterton's less popular opinions on social topics so I think the two will mesh well.

Quote:
It is a treasure, in my eyes.

My rural public library doesn't have that many books on the shelves. By any measure it's a treasure.

Quote:
But I likely will dispose of some portions of the library, by attempting to sell off more valuable items, for my wife's benefit. She will only get a portion of my military retirement pay, so a few thousands in book money might help.

Makes perfect sense. Tell Ms. GK hi for me?

Quote:

Seems like every good thing in life is like that. Spouses, children, grandchildren . . ..

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:33 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Hey GKC--

Do you know if The Screwtape Letters are available in audiobook format? I ask because my son listens to a LOT of those (he has a subscription to The Great Lectures and Audible) and I think The Screwtape Letters would engage him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:34 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

[quote="ElenaMarie"]Hey GKC--

Do you know if The Screwtape Letters are available in audiobook format? I ask because my son listens to a LOT of those (he has a subscription to The Great Lectures and Audible) and I think The Screwtape Letters would engage him.[/qc

There used to be at least 2 of them. One done by John Cleese, one by Joss Ackland. I bought both. One of them left out 2 letters, for some reason. Can't remember which. Cleese was born to read Screwtape.

I think that a version is likely available.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:04 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

GKC wrote:
ElenaMarie wrote:
Hey GKC--

Do you know if The Screwtape Letters are available in audiobook format? I ask because my son listens to a LOT of those (he has a subscription to The Great Lectures and Audible) and I think The Screwtape Letters would engage him.[/qc

There used to be at least 2 of them. One done by John Cleese, one by Joss Ackland. I bought both. One of them left out 2 letters, for some reason. Can't remember which. Cleese was born to read Screwtape.

Perfect, thank you! The reader is so critical in an audiobook.

Speaking of which, have you read the Justin Cronin Passage trilogy? If so what did you think of it?

ETA: I found the Ackland version in Audible. Would you approve of it for someone just starting down the Damascus road?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:39 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

ElenaMarie wrote:
GKC wrote:
ElenaMarie wrote:
Hey GKC--

Perfect, thank you! The reader is so critical in an audiobook.

Speaking of which, have you read the Justin Cronin Passage trilogy? If so what did you think of it?

ETA: I found the Ackland version in Audible. Would you approve of it for someone just starting down the Damascus road?

Yes, as to the Ackland version. I can't remember if that was the one missing the two letters, and can't find either version, to check it. I used to keep all the audio of my Lewis/Tolkien stuff on the main bookcase with the books, but I started running out of room there, long ago, and the newer audio drifted to my audio collections, which are who knows where.

Ackland did a fine job. Cleese was Cleese. Or maybe Screwtape. Very expressive. But go with Ackland.

I had never heard of the Passage trilogy. I checked it out. It would never have caught my eye, if I had seen it. You know I
am a heavy-duty SF/fantasy collector, but there are some sub-genres I studiously avoid. Near future dystopias (except for one or two) and vampires. Except for one or two. Or zombies. Except for one or two. The comparison in the review to King's THE STAND would have been enough for me to pass it. I quit reading King back around TOMMYKNOCKERS. Except for one or two.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

GKC wrote:
Yes, as to the Ackland version. I can't remember if that was the one missing the two letters, and can't find either version, to check it. I used to keep all the audio of my Lewis/Tolkien stuff on the main bookcase with the books, but I started running out of room there, long ago, and the newer audio drifted to my audio collections, which are who knows where.

Ackland did a fine job. Cleese was Cleese. Or maybe Screwtape. Very expressive. But go with Ackland.

Perfect, thank you!

Quote:
I had never heard of the Passage trilogy. I checked it out. It would never have caught my eye, if I had seen it. You know I
am a heavy-duty SF/fantasy collector, but there are some sub-genres I studiously avoid. Near future dystopias (except for one or two) and vampires. Except for one or two. Or zombies. Except for one or two. The comparison in the review to King's THE STAND would have been enough for me to pass it. I quit reading King back around TOMMYKNOCKERS. Except for one or two.

Someone compared it to The Stand?? No way.

There's a lot of Christian symbolism in there and one of the primary protagonists is a nun. It really is quite good. Whoever compared it to The Stand either didn't read it or read something completely different than I did.

If you have time and inclination check out the first one. If you like that one you'll really like the next two. The premise is extremely plausible and the character development is exquisite IMHO. None of The Stand's characters come anywhere close.

ETA: Have you read any of the Dark Tower books? That's the only King I care for whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:27 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

ElenaMarie wrote:
GKC wrote:

Perfect, thank you!

Quote:

Someone compared it to The Stand?? No way.

There's a lot of Christian symbolism in there and one of the primary protagonists is a nun. It really is quite good. Whoever compared it to The Stand either didn't read it or read something completely different than I did.

If you have time and inclination check out the first one. If you like that one you'll really like the next two. The premise is extremely plausible and the character development is exquisite IMHO. None of The Stand's characters come anywhere close.

ETA: Have you read any of the Dark Tower books? That's the only King I care for whatsoever.

A number of reviewers made THE STAND comparison. One said something like he had to look twice to be sure it wasn't a Stephen King.

RE: DARK TOWER.
When I was in the used/rare book trade, I thumbed through a copy of the Don Grant ed. with the Michael Whelan illustrations, of THE GUNSLINGER. Nice looking book and I like the publisher and the artist. The story didn't hook me. Never bought any of the titles, except one. When the 3rd volume came out (THE WASTELANDS), I got a nice bargain on it, and bought it as a speculation. It's still in the shrink wrap. There is only so much time.

Last edited by GKC on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:41 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Added.

Have I mentioned that I've sold books to Stephen King, back around 27 years ago?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:40 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

GKC wrote:
Added.

Have I mentioned that I've sold books to Stephen King, back around 27 years ago?

:laughhard :laughhard :laughhard I didn't know that!

I'll admit I'm not a fan of the horror genre in any format. I have enough bad stuff in my head without adding to it via entertainment, and such things almost always result in nightmares that wake my husband. So my experience with King is limited to The Stand and the Dark Tower series.

Thinking about The Passage and The Stand, I came up with several key differences without even trying. The Passage lacks the evil human community of Randall Flagg. The antagonists are victims of a natural disease. Cronin delves into the nature of the soul and its relationship to the body while The Stand has no such theme at all. The Passage also explores the idea of terrible evil coming from an earnest desire to do good, very much in the vein of Chesterton's take on the virtues running amok, while The Stand has no such theme.

The primary theme of The Stand is the survivors choosing which side they want to live in: Randall Flagg's evil but orderly Las Vegas or Abigail's good but not as orderly Colorado. The primary theme of The Passage is what does it mean to be human, how does the soul change (if it changes at all) when the body undergoes dramatic changes as a result of a disease.

Honestly, the only thing I think the two share is the military being involved at the beginning. Even that is vastly different in approach, though.

And you're correct: there are only so many hours in a day!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Oh, and there's no weird sex stuff in The Passage. It's appropriate for late teen readers IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:34 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

ElenaMarie wrote:
GKC wrote:
Added.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of the horror genre in any format. I have enough bad stuff in my head without adding to it via entertainment, and such things almost always result in nightmares that wake my husband. So my experience with King is limited to The Stand and the Dark Tower series.

Thinking about The Passage and The Stand, I came up with several key differences without even trying. The Passage lacks the evil human community of Randall Flagg. The antagonists are victims of a natural disease. Cronin delves into the nature of the soul and its relationship to the body while The Stand has no such theme at all. The Passage also explores the idea of terrible evil coming from an earnest desire to do good, very much in the vein of Chesterton's take on the virtues running amok, while The Stand has no such theme.

The primary theme of The Stand is the survivors choosing which side they want to live in: Randall Flagg's evil but orderly Las Vegas or Abigail's good but not as orderly Colorado. The primary theme of The Passage is what does it mean to be human, how does the soul change (if it changes at all) when the body undergoes dramatic changes as a result of a disease.
Honestly, the only thing I think the two share is the military being involved at the beginning. Even that is vastly different in approach, though.

You've convinced me. But the sub-genre, as I said, is one that I actively avoid, like fried squash or fried chicken. An idiosyncrasy. I can think of one exception, sort of, but basically, I don't read that plot line, no matter how well it is written. Though, for a curious reason, a 1st/1st of a signed copy of THE STAND sat for several years on one of my personal bookshelves. Until I could convince my friend that he could take it and a signed copy of one of the Richard Bachman books, back home.

I do some classic horror, of the H. P. Lovecraft variety, and antiquarian ghost stories, a la M. R. James, and as many Arkham House books as I can afford, in my collection, but little in the contemporary stuff. My knowledge of the field made me the horror/ghost/SF guru for the rare book stores I worked for, 30 years ago. And when I was a store manager, a certain customer was assigned to my store, to service a desire for certain older, collectible, horror/ghost/SF books. I let one of my workers, who was more in sync with the contemporary horror field, handle this customer, who lived in Maine. (though he never spoke to the man, all business being handled by an administrative assistant. In those days, Mr. King was very open to signing books for fans. always insisting on personalizing the books. Hence, I got 2 signed King books in my collection. And my daughter got two also. Long ago.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:26 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

GKC wrote:
ElenaMarie wrote:
GKC wrote:
Added.

You've convinced me. But the sub-genre, as I said, is one that I actively avoid, like fried squash or fried chicken. An idiosyncrasy. I can think of one exception, sort of, but basically, I don't read that plot line, no matter how well it is written. Though, for a curious reason, a 1st/1st of a signed copy of THE STAND sat for several years on one of my personal bookshelves. Until I could convince my friend that he could take it and a signed copy of one of the Richard Bachman books, back home.

I do some classic horror, of the H. P. Lovecraft variety, and antiquarian ghost stories, a la M. R. James, and as many Arkham House books as I can afford, in my collection, but little in the contemporary stuff. My knowledge of the field made me the horror/ghost/SF guru for the rare book stores I worked for, 30 years ago. And when I was a store manager, a certain customer was assigned to my store, to service a desire for certain older, collectible, horror/ghost/SF books. I let one of my workers, who was more in sync with the contemporary horror field, handle this customer, who lived in Maine. (though he never spoke to the man, all business being handled by an administrative assistant. In those days, Mr. King was very open to signing books for fans. always insisting on personalizing the books. Hence, I got 2 signed King books in my collection. And my daughter got two also. Long ago.

My boy is having fantasies now. . .. :wink:

Have a great day GK!

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 36 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2