Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Great Divorce
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:43 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
I enjoyed this reading...

Are there other novels like it by Mr. Lewis?

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

Post subject: Re: The Great Divorce
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:31 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Not "like it," but have you read The Screwtape Letters? Kind of a quick read and a classic. :D

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:50 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

And, also not like it, and a little more obscure, PILGRIM'S REGRESS.

Or the 3 Ransom novels.

Or even less like it, TILL WE HAVE FACES.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:15 pm 

CS Lewis' strangely titled book, The Great Divorce, is his vision of Purgatory and Heaven, and God's continuing call to each of us to seek the perfection of His Kingdom and divorce ourselves from sin. Although the book concept and structure is unique (a dream), Lewis used a fiction format for many of his Christian evangelistic and apologetic writings, like his Narnia series and his Space Trilogy.
See the two great blogs today about Lewis' belief in God's Call and our inherent longing for His Kingdom. I hoped to add the following comment to the blogs, but have to get Java and cookies first:

Great blogs, many thanks. I must add that Lewis' quest was for not just Beauty, but also Joy, Truth--indeed I wish he had referred more often to perfection but I think he feared society would have scorned that goal, as he did himself as a student.
Surprised By Joy, his wonderful autobiography of his return to Faith, provides much detail of his search. Also, in his earlier and fascinating allegory of the path to Christian Faith, The Pilgrim's Regress, he further discusses his belief in the inherent human longing for Goodness, Beauty, Joy, Truth, Love, Faith, Peace, in short, perfection.
How could anyone of intelligence and honesty listen to the denial of nihilists and atheists?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:26 pm 

Blessings to Dionysius and Defenders for the forum and this post--further thinking led me to a great site related to CS Lewis: www.cslbookclub.com, which features concise reviews of many of his books, free study guides, and long selections of text of some some of the books.
The site opens with a picture I find very moving of Lewis' writing desk, and comments on the heavy curtains used to "blackout" in wartime (WWII) England. For those who may not know or recall, Lewis was not subject to the English draft (WWI) because he was Irish, but he volunteered, turning of age just as he entered college, and returned from France wounded but also as hero after having single-handedly captured a large squad of Germans. Later, in WWII he served as a coastal patrol spotter and also broadcast weekly on BBC, becoming the most-recognized voice in England after PM Winston Churchill.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:13 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

eschator83 wrote:
Blessings to Dionysius and Defenders for the forum and this post--further thinking led me to a great site related to CS Lewis: http://www.cslbookclub.com, which features concise reviews of many of his books, free study guides, and long selections of text of some some of the books.
The site opens with a picture I find very moving of Lewis' writing desk, and comments on the heavy curtains used to "blackout" in wartime (WWII) England. For those who may not know or recall, Lewis was not subject to the English draft (WWI) because he was Irish, but he volunteered, turning of age just as he entered college, and returned from France wounded but also as hero after having single-handedly captured a large squad of Germans. Later, in WWII he served as a coastal patrol spotter and also broadcast weekly on BBC, becoming the most-recognized voice in England after PM Winston Churchill.

His BBC broadcasts were eventually published in three slim volumes, THE CASE FOR CHRISTIANITY (BROADCASTS TALKS, in England), CHRISTIAN BEHAVIOR and BEYOND PERSONALITY. Which were the genesis of MERE CHRISTIANITY. Good account found in C.S. LEWIS IN TIME OF WAR/Justin Phillips.

And the sea rises higher."