Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: J McSorley's Outline History of the Church
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:00 pm 

Religion: Catholic
I recently got off to a slow start reading McSorley's History, but after getting used to the format in the first couple chapters I'm finding it harder and harder to put down. His writing seems very direct and clear, and I think he's doing a wonderful job, so far, of trying to be concise and objective, although sneak peeks to the back of the book suggest he expresses more emotional involvement in recent or current issues. Does anyone have this book and interest in discussing?
It's already raised a number of issues of issues for me, and I'm hoping members might comment if I post some of them, whether or not you've read this particular History.

Post subject: Re: J McSorley's Outline History of the Church
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:50 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

eschator83 wrote:
I recently got off to a slow start reading McSorley's History, but after getting used to the format in the first couple chapters I'm finding it harder and harder to put down. His writing seems very direct and clear, and I think he's doing a wonderful job, so far, of trying to be concise and objective, although sneak peeks to the back of the book suggest he expresses more emotional involvement in recent or current issues. Does anyone have this book and interest in discussing?
It's already raised a number of issues of issues for me, and I'm hoping members might comment if I post some of them, whether or not you've read this particular History.

I'm almost certain I have the book (which tells anyone familiar with me where it is likely currently located), but have never read it. If any discussions appear here that intrigue me, it will go on the "gotta find it" list.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:18 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

How bad is it that when I first saw "McSorley's" the only thing I thought of was a tall cold glass of beer? (and it's not even 10 AM). :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:59 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Byblos wrote:
How bad is it that when I first saw "McSorley's" the only thing I thought of was a tall cold glass of beer? (and it's not even 10 AM). :oops:

It's what I thought the first time I saw the book.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:15 pm 

My reading of McSorley got much more complicated when I stumbled almost randomly into Jacques Maritain's Philosophy of History online, which I was immediately drawn to start reading. I wish I could hear the two of them discuss the strategy and logic McSorley is following--sort of a mini Inklings meeting.
Maybe it's way past due to learn how to focus on just one book at a time.
Can anyone comment whether there are other histories better than McSorley's?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:50 pm 

My strong inclination is to think of History as akin to a science--focused on the objective questions who, what, where, and when, and leaving most if not all the why and how primarily to sociologists, anthropologists, and political scientists. When theologians write history, things are different. I've read Eusebius, McBrien's Lives of the Popes, and most of Bokenkotter, but find myself topically oriented much more than chronologically. I wonder what others prefer.