Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 43 of 46   [ 901 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:09 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

eschator83 wrote:
I'm a bit like Highlander (below); I often find myself with a good size pile of books next to my favorite chair. At the moment top priorities are to read the "Saint of the Day" (Foley) and also the Mass Missal, plus Ven Archbishop Sheen's "Life of Christ," Francis MacNutt's "Healing," Scott Hahn's "Swear to God," and Richard Chilson's "Prayer Making."
I recently finished Pope Francis' "Church of Mercy" and St Thomas Aquinas' "The Ways of God." I'd love to discuss any of these of these if there is interest.

This moved me to count. Immediately beside my chair are 92 books in 7 stacks. Until this afternoon there were 88.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:40 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
They are like coat hangers and bicycles, if you recall the very old SF short story.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:07 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
They are like coat hangers and bicycles, if you recall the very old SF short story.

I seem to recall coat hangers and socks. But I know where those additional 4 books came from. I bought them today.

Plus one for the wife.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:10 pm 
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator
Jr. Wazzooship-Winning Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Right now, I'm reading Verily, A New Hope. It's the original "Star Wars" script (now known as "Episode 4") rewritten in Shakespearean iambic pentameter. I'm enjoying the daylights out of it!

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:59 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Among a long list of my personal regrets that seems to be percolating ever more menacingly in my twilight years, only recently have I ever sought to read all the writings of an author I admired--fortunately, thankfully, something motivated me to find CS Lewis, whom I have greatly enjoyed (and very strongly recommend) except that I don't have enough patience for his fiction, even though I love his writing and greatly admire the concept of smuggling theology into secular literature. Yes, I admit he never converted to Catholicism, but I think he got pretty close, and wonder if that will count anywhere besides in horseshoes.
Now I'm searching these posts for another author to focus on--considering Chesterton, Newman, Hahn, Kreeft--and wondering whether you folks follow anyone in particular.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:33 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

eschator83 wrote:
Among a long list of my personal regrets that seems to be percolating ever more menacingly in my twilight years, only recently have I ever sought to read all the writings of an author I admired--fortunately, thankfully, something motivated me to find CS Lewis, whom I have greatly enjoyed (and very strongly recommend) except that I don't have enough patience for his fiction, even though I love his writing and greatly admire the concept of smuggling theology into secular literature. Yes, I admit he never converted to Catholicism, but I think he got pretty close, and wonder if that will count anywhere besides in horseshoes.
Now I'm searching these posts for another author to focus on--considering Chesterton, Newman, Hahn, Kreeft--and wondering whether you folks follow anyone in particular.

Chesterton, Lewis, Belloc, Sayers, Lunn, Williams, Knox. For over 50 years.

And yes, some of these folk were not RC. But then, neither am I.

GKC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:01 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I'm almost finished with City of God.
From there it's The Social Message of the Early Church Fathers.

I'm also reading SnowCrash.

Any thoughts on Neal Stephenson?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:45 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

HalJordan wrote:
I'm almost finished with City of God.
From there it's The Social Message of the Early Church Fathers.

I'm also reading SnowCrash.

Any thoughts on Neal Stephenson?

I liked his CRYPTONOMICON.

Have several others of his, including SNOWCRASH, which looked interesting, but they all remain unread.

GKC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:58 pm 
Grand WaZOOM college bowl game picker.
Grand WaZOOM college bowl game picker.

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus 4th Degree
Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Right now, I'm reading Verily, A New Hope. It's the original "Star Wars" script (now known as "Episode 4") rewritten in Shakespearean iambic pentameter. I'm enjoying the daylights out of it!

I got the entire "Shakespeare's Star Wars" trilogy for Christmas. Haven't finished the first book yet. It is pretty cool, though. At some point I need to get some friends together for a dramatic reading. :mrgreen:

For you love all things that are, and hate none of the things which you have made: for you did not appoint, or make anything hating it. Wisdom 11:25

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:11 pm 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Reading a book titled "Um Caminho sob o Olhar de Maria", biography of Sister Maria Lúcia de Jesus e do Coração Imaculado in Portuguese. She was one of three little children who saw Our Lady of Fátima. The English version will be available in March and has title "A Path under the Gaze of Mary", translated by James A. Colson.

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 pm 
There Can Be Only One

I am reading the third of five comics about one Honor Harrington.

No, I won't defend my choice or compare it to more elevated tomes.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:56 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
I am reading the third of five comics about one Honor Harrington.

No, I won't defend my choice or compare it to more elevated tomes.

And I see no reason you should.

Finished the last of 6 Honorverse-related novels (and 7 additional Weber works) that I started early in September, yesterday.

GKC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:17 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

What is a good introductory book that digs a bit deeper into the Catholic faith?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:59 pm 
There Can Be Only One

I do so love to quote myself...as I have done below. Down below is text from a mail I sent to a person who asked me to recommend an approach to reading poetry. I sent him several books, with the comments provided below. With some editing for privacy.

What do you think of my approach, selection, and advice?

Quote:
Don't approach poetry like a textbook. Just browse and read whatever seems interesting. I'd start with short poems, because longer ones take much more work. Don't try to read a dozen at a time; the concepts and images will overwhelm you.

Which is why I sent you a bunch of cheap paperbacks. You can carry them around and beat them to death and read a poem or two whenever the urge strikes you.

Specifically:

1. Early Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
William Butler Yeats

He is the most famous and loved Irish poet. In one poem, he writes about the Isle of Inishfree, .... When I first read him in a survey English class, he made no impression. I really like him now. His earlier poems, I like better -- he became an Irish Nationalist and his poetry became political later in his life.

2. Collections:

a. Great Short Poems (Dover Thrift Editions) They are short. I have this.

b. World War One British Poets: Brooke, Owen, Sassoon, Rosenberg and Others (Unabridged). During WWI, a generation of Brits learned that war wasn't the romantic thing they had been taught in public schools. And they were great poets. So they wrote poetry about it. Some of it isn't pleasant. I have this.

c. 100 Best-Loved Poems (Dover Thrift Editions) Another general collection.

d. Songs for the Open Road: Poems of Travel and Adventure (Dover Thrift Editions) Like the title says. I have it.

e. 101 Great American Poems (Dover Thrift Editions) Also like the title says. I have it. I think.

3. Spoon River Anthology (Dover Thrift Editions) by Edgar Lee Masters. Different. This is one poem comprised of many shorter vignettes. It illuminates the private lives of the citizens of the fictional town of Spoon River. If it is not annotated, you will have problems with the language and images, because it is set before 1920 (I think). Some is interesting; some is not.

4. The Classic Tradition of Haiku: An Anthology (Dover Thrift Editions). A particular type of Japanese poetry. Translated. Very short. I used to be a member of the American Haiku Society. Usually merges two images together. Thought you might be interested in a poetry tradition outside of English.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:50 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: OCDS
Holly Pierlot, A Mother's Rule of Life -- issues with this book. Woman has a lot of issues with authority
The Education of John Quincy Adams -- I didn't think anything could be as good as McCullough, but pretty good.

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:59 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Quote:
3. Spoon River Anthology (Dover Thrift Editions) by Edgar Lee Masters. Different. This is one poem comprised of many shorter vignettes. It illuminates the private lives of the citizens of the fictional town of Spoon River.
Well, sort of fictional. The people of Petersburg and Lewistown thought some of the fictional characters were based on very non-fictional people.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:20 am 
There Can Be Only One

Thinks2much wrote:
... The Education of John Quincy Adams -- I didn't think anything could be as good as McCullough, but pretty good.
McCullough is my idea of the perfect popular historian. I've read The Johnstown Flood three times. I think thrice read happened with only one other book.

Oh, I just finished Before Night Falls by Reinaldo Arenas. Antes que anochezca in Spanish. We ought to have the verb "anochecer" -- to get dark -- in English. English has the seldom used "darkle", which is attractive in itself, but doesn't have the same feeling as anochecer when transitioning from day to night.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:24 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I'm currently reading 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelly, the last secular book I will finish before Lent....

During Lent, I have a stack of books I hope to get through, including 'The Assumption of Mary' by Killian Healy, 'The Historical Reliability of the Gospels' by Craig Bloomberg and 'Papal Primacy' by Klaus Schatz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:35 am 
There Can Be Only One

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Quote:
3. Spoon River Anthology (Dover Thrift Editions) by Edgar Lee Masters. Different. This is one poem comprised of many shorter vignettes. It illuminates the private lives of the citizens of the fictional town of Spoon River.
Well, sort of fictional. The people of Petersburg and Lewistown thought some of the fictional characters were based on very non-fictional people.
As were the people of Asheville when Thomas Wolfe published Look Homeward Angel. The photographs didn't help his assertion that is was fiction [I just made that up, but one could argue that Wolfe might as well have included photos.]

Thomas "Overwrought" Wolfe is one of most and least favorite authors. But he does reach the heights of narcissism. I toured the Old Kentucky Home (Dixieland) when I was last in Nashville. Well worth if for a Wolfe reader.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:20 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

I'm approaching the conclusion of the extended run of SF/fantasy books I started in early Sep. Over the past 5 months I have read only such (roughly 28-30 books) and no non-fiction. As of Tuesday night I will switch to my customary Lenten practice of reading only non-fiction, with some studies of Lewis and Chesterton, and some Church history leading off.

GKC

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 43 of 46   [ 901 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next