The Catholic Message Board
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/

What are you reading?
http://forums.avemariaradio.net/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=78413
Page 34 of 46

Author:  GKC [ Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

Bagheera wrote:
I don't know whether GKC watches Seinfeld but he certainly is no fan of Frank Herbert's. :fyi:



Gurney knows that, and is following a pattern of twitting here. He himself is fond of Seinfeld, and is a devotee of DUNE.

He is (mostly) harmless, for all that, and a fine fellow, to boot.

GKC

Author:  Doom [ Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

Seinfeld is the best sitcom in the history of television, at least American television anyway...and it also one of the most influential...it's funny because when I was growing up I thought my sense of humor was bizarre and distinctive and that no one else shared it....then I saw shows like Seinfeld and realized it is actually pretty common...

Author:  gurneyhalleck1 [ Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

This is it, Doom. This is it, man. We did it. You and I are 100% on the same sheet of music. Both Seinfeld fans. We need to start a thread on Seinfeld and go with this good mojo we got goin' here, bro! ::):

Doom wrote:
Seinfeld is the best sitcom in the history of television, at least American television anyway...and it also one of the most influential...it's funny because when I was growing up I thought my sense of humor was bizarre and distinctive and that no one else shared it....then I saw shows like Seinfeld and realized it is actually pretty common...

Author:  Doom [ Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
This is it, Doom. This is it, man. We did it. You and I are 100% on the same sheet of music. Both Seinfeld fans. We need to start a thread on Seinfeld and go with this good mojo we got goin' here, bro! ::):

Doom wrote:
Seinfeld is the best sitcom in the history of television, at least American television anyway...and it also one of the most influential...it's funny because when I was growing up I thought my sense of humor was bizarre and distinctive and that no one else shared it....then I saw shows like Seinfeld and realized it is actually pretty common...


What I like about Seinfeld is the structure of the plots of the episodes, they are well planned out, after about the third season or so all of the plots all become self referential, and they fold back upon themselves like a Moebius strip....it is really very clever and inventive....

Author:  gurneyhalleck1 [ Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

And I appreciate so many of the recurring characters. Dave Puddy gives me laughing pains in the abs with that "yeah, that's right" and his heavy panting and that ignorant stare. He's hysterical. Kramer and George are my favorites. Kramer is always obsessed with some new, weird kick. Remember that episode where George goes to the holistic healer. "stop using hot water." Kramer says, "yeah, I'm already off hot water!" :)

One of my other favorite smaller characters was Jackie Chiles, the lawyer. I swear he is so freakin' funny that I about pass out. "She flaunting society's conventions! It's lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!"

You're right about the plots. There's all these weird links and loops and layers. Recurring characters and aftermath abound. I think that show was ingenius. Seinfeld and King of Queens are my two favorite comedy sitcoms of the last 30 years. I adore both. Most people mock and chide me for it. I am in a minority still liking both these days it seems.
Doom wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
This is it, Doom. This is it, man. We did it. You and I are 100% on the same sheet of music. Both Seinfeld fans. We need to start a thread on Seinfeld and go with this good mojo we got goin' here, bro! ::):

Doom wrote:
Seinfeld is the best sitcom in the history of television, at least American television anyway...and it also one of the most influential...it's funny because when I was growing up I thought my sense of humor was bizarre and distinctive and that no one else shared it....then I saw shows like Seinfeld and realized it is actually pretty common...


What I like about Seinfeld is the structure of the plots of the episodes, they are well planned out, after about the third season or so all of the plots all become self referential, and they fold back upon themselves like a Moebius strip....it is really very clever and inventive....

Author:  Doom [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

"Who told you to put the balm on, I didn't tell you to put the balm on, balms are mysterious, no one ever knows what a balm is going to do!"

No, Puddy is hilarious, I only have to see that guy on screen for about 2 seconds and I just crack up....when I was in graduate school there was another student there who could do David Puddy absolutely perfectly, I would ask him some simple question and he would respond 'yeah, that's right' and I would just crack up and start laughing uncontrollably for the next several minutes....it never failed...

There is an episode of King of Queens where they become worried that they fight too often when Kerri accidentally records one of their arguments with the computer program that dictates speech, so they have this program on the computer that records what they say...and they say well let's have another argument here and read what it says, and they say 'oh come on if we know we're being recorded we'll be nice, it won't be a real argument'....and then they cut to the two of them screaming insults at each other directly into the computer's microphone...'you're fat and stupid...oh yeah, well you're a whore....fat...whore...fat....whore...etc etc etc' that scene absolutely cracks me up every single time I see it....they just scream insults at each other directly into the microphone.... :laughhard

Author:  gurneyhalleck1 [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

And what's hilarious about that episode is that Arthur uses all their vulgar insults and that fight and makes a stage play out of it where he and that old lady play Doug and Carrie. She sprays like hair spray on his food, etc. That was a funny one.

Arthur was the greatest. I like the episode where Arthur is going through Carrie's purse and she catches him. He finds her diaphragm and says, "Does he touch you!!?" even though Doug's married to her! :)

I loved Spence and Danny. That "are they gay?" ongoing arc was too funny. Spence is a Batman and Star Trek fan and they quote funny Trek stuff or he stands outside that movie theatre waiting for that Lord of the Rings knockoff! :)

Doom wrote:
"Who told you to put the balm on, I didn't tell you to put the balm on, balms are mysterious, no one ever knows what a balm is going to do!"

No, Puddy is hilarious, I only have to see that guy on screen for about 2 seconds and I just crack up....when I was in graduate school there was another student there who could do David Puddy absolutely perfectly, I would ask him some simple question and he would respond 'yeah, that's right' and I would just crack up and start laughing uncontrollably for the next several minutes....it never failed...

There is an episode of King of Queens where they become worried that they fight too often when Kerri accidentally records one of their arguments with the computer program that dictates speech, so they have this program on the computer that records what they say...and they say well let's have another argument here and read what it says, and they say 'oh come on if we know we're being recorded we'll be nice, it won't be a real argument'....and then they cut to the two of them screaming insults at each other directly into the computer's microphone...'you're fat and stupid...oh yeah, well you're a whore....fat...whore...fat....whore...etc etc etc' that scene absolutely cracks me up every single time I see it....they just scream insults at each other directly into the microphone.... :laughhard

Author:  GKC [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
This is it, Doom. This is it, man. We did it. You and I are 100% on the same sheet of music. Both Seinfeld fans. We need to start a thread on Seinfeld and go with this good mojo we got goin' here, bro! ::):

Doom wrote:
Seinfeld is the best sitcom in the history of television, at least American television anyway...and it also one of the most influential...it's funny because when I was growing up I thought my sense of humor was bizarre and distinctive and that no one else shared it....then I saw shows like Seinfeld and realized it is actually pretty common...



Ban Doom and Gurney.

GKC

Author:  faithfulservant [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

poor gherkin...he's feeling so left out :(

Author:  Doom [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

Jerry Stiller could well be the funniest comedic actor of all time....it doesn't even really matter what he says, it's the way he says it, sounding completely crazed and somewhat psychotic even when the things he is saying are completely normal.....

I know it's a cliche but you could have him reading the phone book and I would be in stitches....

Author:  gurneyhalleck1 [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

I feel the same way. Stiller is the greatest. That irrational yelling while he keeps his eyes deadpan serious kills me. That episode of KofQ where the phone rings and it's Arthur's lawyer on the phone....Doug yells to Arthur telling him the lawyer wants to talk to him and Arthur yells "tell him to go to hell!" and Doug says "uh, I can't tell him that!" and Arthur replies, "fine, then you go to hell!" and Doug says "yeah, well you go to hell!" and Carrie walks in....

I love that stuff

Doom wrote:
Jerry Stiller could well be the funniest comedic actor of all time....it doesn't even really matter what he says, it's the way he says it, sounding completely crazed and somewhat psychotic even when the things he is saying are completely normal.....

I know it's a cliche but you could have him reading the phone book and I would be in stitches....

Author:  gurneyhalleck1 [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

GKC, you have to see a shrink about the anti-Seinfeld stuff. Seriously. Get help. Ban Jim! :) Ban the George Lucas clone! ::):

Author:  GKC [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
GKC, you have to see a shrink about the anti-Seinfeld stuff. Seriously. Get help. Ban Jim! :) Ban the George Lucas clone! ::):



George who?

GKC

Author:  gurneyhalleck1 [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

You, oh elusive one...who refuses to let anyone see his real identity...

GKC wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
GKC, you have to see a shrink about the anti-Seinfeld stuff. Seriously. Get help. Ban Jim! :) Ban the George Lucas clone! ::):



George who?

GKC

Author:  GKC [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
You, oh elusive one...who refuses to let anyone see his real identity...

GKC wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
GKC, you have to see a shrink about the anti-Seinfeld stuff. Seriously. Get help. Ban Jim! :) Ban the George Lucas clone! ::):



George who?

GKC



Well, I admit it has happened. Those two fans at the Charlotte Con, in early June being the latest.

GKC

Author:  gurneyhalleck1 [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

The latest what?

GKC wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
You, oh elusive one...who refuses to let anyone see his real identity...

GKC wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
GKC, you have to see a shrink about the anti-Seinfeld stuff. Seriously. Get help. Ban Jim! :) Ban the George Lucas clone! ::):



George who?

GKC



Well, I admit it has happened. Those two fans at the Charlotte Con, in early June being the latest.

GKC

Author:  gurneyhalleck1 [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

So word on the street is that Doom is an expert in the Beatles....

Author:  GKC [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

Folk who mistake me for George Whatshisname.

GKC


gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
The latest what?

GKC wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
You, oh elusive one...who refuses to let anyone see his real identity...

GKC wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
GKC, you have to see a shrink about the anti-Seinfeld stuff. Seriously. Get help. Ban Jim! :) Ban the George Lucas clone! ::):



George who?

GKC



Well, I admit it has happened. Those two fans at the Charlotte Con, in early June being the latest.

GKC

Author:  Jakub [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

Going to purchase The Book of Man by William Bennett...

Author:  gurneyhalleck1 [ Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What are you reading?

Hey, you're the one who told me that he's your clone!

[quote="GKC"]Folk who mistake me for George Whatshisname.

GKC

Page 34 of 46 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/