Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 24 of 46   [ 901 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:40 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Just started reading a new book. Is there ever a gap? I think not. At any rate, I'm now reading "Early Christian Writings: The Apostolic Fathers" by: Maxwell Staniforth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:20 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
I'm reading this book which I just bought at Bordeaux, France:

1000 YEARS Of ANNOYING THE FRENCH by Stephen Clarke

I wonder how those Brits annoy the French... Stephen Clarke still lives at Paris, France.

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:30 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: OCDS
Doom wrote:
Right now I am reading the 'Dune' series by Frank Herbert....I'm about halfway through the second book in the series 'Dune Messiah'.....don't know if I will finish the series or not.

Dune Messiah is so-so.
I like Dune I and Dune III the best. (I've read all the books and even some dreadful junk by his son)
Children of Dune is definitely my favorite.

The main thing I love about it is the clear and basic good vrs evil, honor vs dishonor thing that most 'moral' tales have. I find the book as moral and as inspiring as fiction can be. I long ago read an interview with Herbert about how he came to the topic of Dune and it seemed an interesting premise. He was at the time studying desertification and the phenomena of messiahs in monotheistic religions. I think he draws a tremendous amount of interesting derivatives from how a culture would be impacted by the near absence of water and I think his extrapolations of water into tribal life are really just well imagined (water rings, kanli) I also like the idea of a post/technology society, where AIs are considered anathema. (Nice to think people could make moral decisions about technology)

The children of dune, I think stands out as a 'correction' of what a messiah is compared to Dune Messiah (i.e. the anti-messiah). The God Leto on the other hand is a very brutal portrayal of the Jewish God, which I was unsure what I thought about. After those, the books get less interesting. The Golden Path as an amalgamation of the Pax Romana/ Jehova thing kind'a finishes the series for me. The other books and thenes... Honore Matres, Gholas, are such a minor moral tales as to be really quite boring and only interesting in a post-feminist kind'a way. As for No-Ships and such tecnological backsteps, they just kill my buzz.

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:17 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
sunmumy wrote:
I also like the idea of a post/technology society, where AIs are considered anathema. (Nice to think people could make moral decisions about technology)

I don't think there is anything 'moral' about outlawing computers, indeed, I am less worried about computers than I am about the lack of computers. The reason why he made the society outlaw computers is because he wanted his society to be 'primitive' and yet still in the future, so he needed some kind of excuse why all the technology is gone.

Anyway, I think many of the assumptions behind the series are preposterous, such as the idea that all of the religions on Earth combined into one religion....okay, there is indeed a modern trend towards syncretism, but the idea that ALL religions are wiped out and replaced with one super-religion which combines them all is ridiculous.

He keeps making reference to 'ZenSunni' religion....apparently a combination of Buddhism and Islam....

Uh huh...could you pick a single religion which is LESS likely to ever mingle with any other religion than Islam?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:04 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: OCDS
Doom wrote:
sunmumy wrote:
I also like the idea of a post/technology society, where AIs are considered anathema. (Nice to think people could make moral decisions about technology)

I don't think there is anything 'moral' about outlawing computers, indeed, I am less worried about computers than I am about the lack of computers. The reason why he made the society outlaw computers is because he wanted his society to be 'primitive' and yet still in the future, so he needed some kind of excuse why all the technology is gone.

Anyway, I think many of the assumptions behind the series are preposterous, such as the idea that all of the religions on Earth combined into one religion....okay, there is indeed a modern trend towards syncretism, but the idea that ALL religions are wiped out and replaced with one super-religion which combines them all is ridiculous.

He keeps making reference to 'ZenSunni' religion....apparently a combination of Buddhism and Islam....

Uh huh...could you pick a single religion which is LESS likely to ever mingle with any other religion than Islam?

Well, a lot of SF is about setting boundaries on how much should be delegated to AI's....

In Dune, the Butlerian Jihad is about the usual war between humanity enslaved by AI's and a return to more self-reliance and to the cultivation of human talent: high computation and analytical talent (mentats) as well as more subtle talents (humanities, if you will) of the BeneGesserits. I don't necessarily think computers are bad, but they cannot replace the human intuition and spirit for me. (but you are probably right that if we are talking about a war for survival its less likely to be a moral 'choice', but rather a necessity)

I don't have a problem with this device to obtain a 'primitive' society as used by Hebert, but to be sure its probably more of a 'retrofitted' society. (Fits what I know about aggressive humanity, strike now ask questions later.)

If you read the books, there is never really not-one religion, The OC Catholics still continue to exist, even under Leto II.... Well as to Islam uniting with anything, I think there is a fair bit of evidence that that is how Muhammed ummm... learned.... about monotheism by taking a bit of this and that..... So no, I don't find it hard to believe......

Like I said, I quite like the first triad of books and the storytelling.... goes without saying that everyone likes different stuff. I myself have never been a big fan of Hitchhiker, and THAT's supposed to be a big classic but it don't kill me.... Go figure....

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:10 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
The Orange Catholic Bible is the text of the 'super religion' it is a compilation of citations from various 'scriptures' around the world, along with a bunch of stuff made up by Frank Herbert.....

OC Catholicism is the religion of the Bene Gesserits, it is not 'Catholicism' by any means.....and it is not clear in the Dune series whether actual Catholicism as it exists today still exists within the Dune universe, but I'm guessing no based on the whole syncretism thing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:57 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: yes no and maybe
so many people on this thread have mentioned what they are reading and then failed to follow it up - surely they have finished these books now and can tell us what they thought of them?

Today I got from the library
1. "how to live safely in a science fictional universe" by Carles Yu
2. "great house" by Nicole krauss
3. "Lord Malquist & Mr Moon" by Tom Stoppard
4. "The Informers" by Juan Gabriel Vasquez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:24 am 
Adept
Adept

All the above books rubbish apart from the Informers....

THE INFORMERS by Juan Gabriel Vasquez.....‏
All I can say is WOW.
This is one of the best written books I've read in a very very very long time.....
Its not a book to read while you're tired. Its complex and needs you to be awake.
so many sub-plots: its about dying, about writing, about lying, about Colombia, about families, about sons relationships to fathers and mothers and the the other way around - not to mention Nazis and Jews etc etc.

This weeks books:
1. Continue to read Informers by Juan Gabriel Vasquez.
2. Mr Peanut by Adam Ross
3. Ape House by Sara Gruen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:56 pm 

Just finished "Lionheart" by Sharon Kay Penman. Excellent.

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:47 pm 
Adept
Adept

This weeks 4 books are:
"The Final Evolution" by Jeff Somers
"Red Riding Hood" (book of movie) by Sarah Blakley-cartwright + David Leslie Johnson
"Planet of the Apes" by Pierre Boulle (Captured by Japanese in WW2 - I guess he knew the worst side of humanity in minute detail).
"Maps of Hell" by Paul Johnston.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:51 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
"Between Heaven and Mirth - Why Joy, Humor, and Laughter Are at the Heart of the Spiritual Life" by James Martin, SJ.

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:09 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Roman Catholic
Brighton Rock - Graham Greene

Therefore, if God wills that we be struck down by some affliction, take it as
a sign that he considers us mature enough to be associated even more closely
with his redeeming Cross.

Stand up against lies heresy and distortion: I DON'T BELIEVE Michael Sean Winters or NCR Online

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:38 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
"The Father's Tale" by Michael D. O'Brien.

It has over 1,000 pages and I am on page 291. Michael O'Brien never disappoints!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:42 am 
Adept
Adept

finished "the final evolution" by Jeff Somers. It was so hard boiled all that was left was a black stain on the bottom of the saucepan. To say it was rubbish would be unfair on the residual aestheticism of junk - avoid avoid avoid. I also read "planet of the apes" by Boulle. What can I say, it was too short; its definitely not worth buying, it only took an hour to read the whole thing. It would not be published nowadays unless they added another 10,000 words - way too many plot weaknesses for such a short story. Why did his old professor suddenly lose his intelligence? Was it time travel or alternative universe? why did he put a book in a bottle? why did he have sex with a woman with no brain - what sort of morality is that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Just ordered from amazon "Being Logical" by Dr. Daniel McInerny. I heard it was on the basic principles of philosophy and a remedy to combat the prevailing errors of thinking today. My friend said it was really good. It teaches one how to think well. I definately "need" this ::):.

Currently reading Saint Alphonsus's book, "To Love Christ Jesus". Very, Very, small book, but right to the point. It's probably one of the best books I have ever read. It's in the top five.

Some of these ecumenists are so preoccupied with Christian unity that they are willing to destroy Catholic unity in the name of Christian unity. - Fr. John Hardon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:14 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Roman Catholic
i also finished 112263 by Stephen King last week..

Therefore, if God wills that we be struck down by some affliction, take it as
a sign that he considers us mature enough to be associated even more closely
with his redeeming Cross.

Stand up against lies heresy and distortion: I DON'T BELIEVE Michael Sean Winters or NCR Online

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:35 pm 
Adept
Adept

I got from the library a massive book that contains three zombie novels:
1. Tide of Souls
2. Hungry hearts
3. Way of the barefoot zombie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:18 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Southern Living Cooking for Christmas
:mrgreen:

During His trials Our Lord would not respond to the chief priests (Mt 14:61), or Herod (Lk 23:9) or Pilate (Jn 19:9). Words had failed. All that could penetrate those hardened hearts was the witness of divine love, the offering of His life to the Father. So also for us — when words fail the greatest way to “win” an argument is by acts of love. - Fr. Paul Scalia

There is no law about nougatine. - Chef Stephane Glacier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:24 pm 
Adept
Adept

Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
and
The Ghost Rider by Ismail Kadare

Enjoyed them both - greatly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:35 pm 

The Little Word of Don Camillo by Giovannino Guareschi

SV

“Be sober and vigilant: because your enemy the devil, like a roaring lion, is roaming around seeking whom he might devour. Strong in faith, resist him knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world. ” 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 24 of 46   [ 901 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 46  Next