Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 46   [ 901 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:43 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
"Magisterium: Teacher and Guardian of the Faith " By Avery Cardinal Dulles

The documents of Vatican II, currently Sacrosanctum Concilium (and all the subsequent clarifications, amendments, etc.

The National Directory of Catechisis by the USCCB

The Catechism of the Catholic Church

I read about 500 pages a month, some of the above is for school.

http://rootofjesse2.wordpress.com/

Sancte Michael Archangele,
defende nos in proelio;
contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Imperet illi Deus, supplices deprecamur:
tuque, Princeps militiae Caelestis,
satanam aliosque spiritus malignos,
qui ad perditionem animarum pervagantur in mundo,
divina virtute in infernum detrude.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:57 pm 
Spammer

Religion: Spamacism
I like reading a lot of books but you should already know my favorite book is the bible

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:44 am 

I read several books at the same time. Two I'm really enjoying now are Fr. Robert Barrons "The Word on Fire," a collection of scriptural exegesis.

One example here:http://payingattentiontothesky.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/

The second is Jurgen Moltmann's "The Source of Life." He is Protestant so its disappointing when I read something that contravenes Catholic theology but I do like some of his thoughts.

For example:

Quote:
The gift and the presence of the Holy Spirit is the greatest and most wonderful thing which we can experience -- we ourselves, the human community, all living things and this earth. For with the Holy Spirit it is not just one random spirit that is present, among all the many good and evil spirits that there are. It is God himself, the creative and life-giving, redeeming and saving God. Where the Holy Spirit is present, God is present in a special way, and we experience God through our lives, which become wholly living from within. We experience whole, full, healed and redeemed life, experience it with all our senses. We feel and taste, we touch and see our life in God and God in our life. There are many names for God the Holy Spirit, but of them all the Comforter (Paraclete) and the well of life (fons vitae) are the names I like best.

Quote:
The response to the plea for the Holy Spirit is the Spirit’s coming and remaining, its outpouring and its indwelling. People who ask for the Holy Spirit to come to us -- into our hearts, into the community we live in, and to our earth -- don’t want to flee into heaven or to be snatched away into the next world. They have hope for their hearts, their community and this earth. We don’t pray ‘Let us come into your kingdom’ either. We pray ‘Your kingdom come on earth as in heaven.’ The petition for the coming of the divine Spirit to us frail earthly people implies a great, unbroken affirmation of life.

Another response to the petition for the Holy Spirit is its ‘outpouring On all flesh’ (Joel 2:288; Acts 2:17ff). This is a quite astounding metaphor. What is it saying? ‘All flesh’ is of course human life first and foremost but, as Genesis 9:10 ff.) says, it also embraces all the living generally -- plants, trees and animals. In Psalms 36.9 God himself is called ‘the well of life’. In John 4:14 Jesus tells the Samaritan woman that he will give the ‘water’ which wells up out of the fountain of eternal life. The image of ‘the wellspring of life’, and the water which gives life to everything that is parched and dried up, is used as a way of explaining the effect of the Holy Spirit. As ‘the water of life’, the Spirit makes what is dying and withered living and fertile.

The astonishing thing is that here the Holy Spirit is seen not just. as a divine Person but as the divine element too. The Spirit is ‘sent’ and ‘comes’ like a tempest; it spreads itself out over all living things, like the waters of a flood, pervading everything. If the Holy Spirit is God’s Spirit and the special presence of God, then when God’s Spirit is poured out, ‘all flesh’ will be deified. All mortal flesh will be filled with the eternal life of God, for what comes from God is divine and eternal like God himself. In ‘the outpouring of God’s Spirit’, God opens himself and becomes what the the mystic and poet Mechthild of Magdeburg calls ‘the outpouring and flowing Godhead’. In the source, the river and the lake, the quality of the water is the same, but its flow is graduated. The transition from the Spirit itself to the Spirit’s many different energies -- from the charis to the charismata -- is as fluid as an emanation. The divine becomes the all-embracing presence in which what is human -- indeed everything that lives -- can develop fruitfully and live eternally: ‘You encompass me on every side and hold your hand over me’ (Psalms 39: 5).

Hope that gives you a feel for his writing.

His second night in Talkingham, Hazel Motes walked along down town ... The black sky was underpinned with long silver streaks that looked like scaffolding and depth on depth behind it were thousands of stars that seemed to be moving very slowly as if they were about some vast construction work that involved the whole order of the universe and would take all of time to complete. No one was paying attention to the sky.
Flannery O’Connor
http://payingattentiontothesky.com

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:24 pm 
There Can Be Only One

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour by James D. Hornfischer. Very, very good.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:27 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour by James D. Hornfischer. Very, very good.

Leyte Gulf, off Samar Island. Very good, indeed.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:36 pm 
There Can Be Only One

He also wrote Ship of Ghosts about the USS Houston off Java. Not as well received, but I may pursue.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:46 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
He also wrote Ship of Ghosts about the USS Houston off Java. Not as well received, but I may pursue.

I have intended to, but somehow, never picked it up.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:07 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I am re-reading "The Green Hills of Africa" by Hemingway.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:12 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
I've read some of the histories of the naval battles of Guadalcanal. I will look up those posted here. I am Air Force to my toenails but love reading how our good Navy buds fought the good fight. Don't forget Gen. Kenney and his boys though.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:18 am 
There Can Be Only One

Gen Kenny and his 5th AF were, IMHO, the only real AAC innovators of WWII. Of course, the tactical and operational demands required innovation.

Perhaps GKC could share his recent list of books.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:01 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
Gen Kenny and his 5th AF were, IMHO, the only real AAC innovators of WWII. Of course, the tactical and operational demands required innovation.

Perhaps GKC could share his recent list of books.

There's an air war in the Pacific title I'm still meaning to acquire, but can't recall the name. Looked very comprehensive. Hope it's still on the shelf.

On Guadalcanal, Richard Frank's book is outstanding. And there's GUADALCANAL: THE CARRIER BATTLES/Eric Hammel.

Parshall and Tully's SHATTERED SWORD promised to revise the understanding of Midway, and did, upsetting a lot that I thought I knew, from Lord, Prange and especially from Fuchida and Okumiya's books. A revelation.

Just started Barret Tillman's CLASH OF THE CARRIERS, to be followed by Victor Brook's HELL IS UPON US, both on the Marianas campaign, the opening of the end game.

WWII, Pacific theater, is my predominant reading area right now.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:03 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I'm now reading St. Louis de Montfort's Secrets of the Rosary, Cardinal Newman's The Idea of a University, Cardinal Newman's Apologia Pro Vita Sua, Archbishop Sheen's Your Life is Worth Living, and The Autobiography of G.K. Chesterton by someone whose name is on the tip of my tongue but is just out of range of my memory ;)

yes, i read too many books at the same time ... your point?

"Be of good heart ... you who are children of Mary. Remember that she accepts as her children all those who choose to be so. Rejoice! Why do you fear to be lost, when such a a Mother defends and protects you?" - St. Alphonsus Liguori

"Blessed Virgin Mary - Immaculate Mother of God. Crushes Satan's head in her spare time." - CCB

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:22 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

RaginCajunJoe wrote:
I'm now reading St. Louis de Montfort's Secrets of the Rosary, Cardinal Newman's The Idea of a University, Cardinal Newman's Apologia Pro Vita Sua, Archbishop Sheen's Your Life is Worth Living, and The Autobiography of G.K. Chesterton by someone whose name is on the tip of my tongue but is just out of range of my memory ;)

yes, i read too many books at the same time ... your point?

I'm pretty sure that the author you are thinking of was the brother in law of the author of ST.TERESA.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:10 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
No, I will come clean here: it was me.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:23 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

gherkin wrote:
No, I will come clean here: it was me.

And another pillar of my faith collapses.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:17 am 
Citizen
Citizen

In the last week, I finished reading:

Jesus of Nazareth written by Pope Benedict. I learned so much, I can't even express it in words.

Hail Holy Queen by Scott Hahn. I think I would have enjoyed this book more if I hadn't been reading it alongside the Pope's book. Compared to the Pope's writing, Hail Holy Queen seemed simplistic and too general. I do think it would be a great starting place for anyone wishing to know why he or she should honor Mary.

A General's Spiritual Journey wtitten by Retired-General Hal Moore's driver. This is a very short book...it can be read in one sitting. General Moore's love for his late wife brought tears to my eyes.

The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton. The main charater is a terrible person and I never did have any sympathy for her...and yet I kept reading until the end. Quite dramatic.

I am currently reading:

Eucharistic Miracles by Joan Carroll Cruz. I read a miracle a day so it will take a while to get through this one.

Married Saints and Blesseds Through the Centuries by Ferdinand Holbock. Like Eucharistic Miracles, I read a section on one married person/couple each day.

The Rite, The Making of a Modern Exorcist by Matt Baglio. I started this one last night and have already read 100 pages. It's terrifying and comforting at the same time. It's terrifying because it discusses the presence of supernatural evil in the world, and comforting because I know that God can always defeat evil. So far, it really speaks to me on the importance of constantly working toward building one's faith.

Has anyone read Anne Rice's book, The Road to Cana?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:14 pm 
Middle Management
Middle Management

Unfortunately, though Ms. Rice means well, her works are filled with dubious theology. See my posts in this thread.

Whence are we to find words enough fully to tell the happiness of that marriage which the Church cements, and the Eucharistic oblation confirms, and the benediction signs and seals; which angels carry back the news of to heaven, which the Father holds as ratified? -Tertullian

Uniformity with the Will of God by St. Alphonsus Liguori

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:17 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholicus Romanus
Thomism: The Philosophy of Thomas Aquinas, by Etienne Gilson.

I recommend starting with the last chapter.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:20 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus, SVdP
Congar: I Believe in the Holy Spirit volume 2 of 3.

It is true that all roads to success are under construction. It is easy to say because, in this city, all roads are under construction. The real surprise is that success lies not in the road, but in the destination. If you don't go to heaven, your life is a failure!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:04 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Roman Catholic
grasshopper wrote:
Thomism: The Philosophy of Thomas Aquinas, by Etienne Gilson.

I recommend starting with the last chapter.

Gilson annoys me often so I have trouble getting through more than one anyway!

http://stomachosus-thomistarum.blogspot.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 46   [ 901 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 46  Next