Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 33 of 46   [ 901 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:48 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
Next thing we'll see is a 2013 Dick Tracy movie with CGI, Matrix-like flying roundhouse kicks, Dick taking on ninjas and he'll have a voice like Christian Bale (say it to meeeeee!). He'll be in search of some kind of serial killer who slices and dices with meat cleavers. Nolan will direct and Dick will be in the dark. Mr. Tracy will be tattood, pierced, angry, an alcoholic, and dating loose women. In short, he'll be up to date ::):

And GKC will go see it, no questions asked! :P

Probably would.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:22 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
Next thing we'll see is a 2013 Dick Tracy movie with CGI, Matrix-like flying roundhouse kicks, Dick taking on ninjas and he'll have a voice like Christian Bale (say it to meeeeee!). He'll be in search of some kind of serial killer who slices and dices with meat cleavers. Nolan will direct and Dick will be in the dark. Mr. Tracy will be tattood, pierced, angry, an alcoholic, and dating loose women. In short, he'll be up to date ::):

That would be awesome, in fact I had a dream once that there was a Christopher Nolan directed Dick Tracy movie and I woke up thinking it was the greatest idea ever. But he would never do it because Dick Tracy is too close to Batman.

But Dick Tracy is incredibly violent and brutal, with villains who are extremely garish and savage....that's just what Dick Tracy is and has always been.....if they tried adapting the original Chester Gould comic strips from the 30's the movie would be NC-17, then they'd have to tone it down and remove some scenes to get an R.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:58 am 
King of Cool

But Christopher Nolan's actual next movie is 'Mr. Hughes', a biography of Howard Hughes focusing on his later years when he was completely insane......it will be released in 2014 and I am looking forward to it...right now Christopher Nolan is the best working director in Hollywood, and he still has an untainted record, every single movie a masterpiece, never made a single movie in his whole career and very few directors can say that....even Hitchcock made a couple bad movies, even Scorsese has made some bad movies, Nolan hasn't....at least not yet...and as long as Christopher Nolan is on this amazing hot streak I am going to continue to follow his career....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:07 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:

That would be awesome, in fact I had a dream once that there was a Christopher Nolan directed Dick Tracy movie and I woke up thinking it was the greatest idea ever. But he would never do it because Dick Tracy is too close to Batman.

But Dick Tracy is incredibly violent and brutal, with villains who are extremely garish and savage....that's just what Dick Tracy is and has always been.....if they tried adapting the original Chester Gould comic strips from the 30's the movie would be NC-17, then they'd have to tone it down and remove some scenes to get an R.

My favorite years are the 40s-50s. Best villains in comics.

GKC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:12 am 
King of Cool

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:

GKC

I know there is basically zero evidence for this in the actual words of Bob Kane, Bill Finger or anybody associated with the comics....but I've always thought the formula for Batman was

Zorro's secret identity/dual identity stuff + Dick Tracy's wild and garish villains....

Batman just seems like 'Zorro+Dick Tracy' and I'm going to continue to think of him that way even though basically no one involved in creating the early Batman has ever cited Chester Gould as an influence...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:50 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Orthodox
seeing as how "good" and "bad" are subjective, such records are non-existent. To say that Nolan hasn't made a bad movie yet and all are masterpieces, it's opinion and subjective. I haven't liked one that I've seen, and admitedly that's only three! But it's subjective. You love them and it's cool that you see such brilliance, style, and depth to his movies. That's cool. But I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks Jennifer Lopez hasn't been in a bad movie yet! ::): If we're equating $$$$ with "good," then you're dead-on. But if we're talking good and bad as in taste of whether the film hits the mark and is well-done, totally subjective.

Doom wrote:
But Christopher Nolan's actual next movie is 'Mr. Hughes', a biography of Howard Hughes focusing on his later years when he was completely insane......it will be released in 2014 and I am looking forward to it...right now Christopher Nolan is the best working director in Hollywood, and he still has an untainted record, every single movie a masterpiece, never made a single movie in his whole career and very few directors can say that....even Hitchcock made a couple bad movies, even Scorsese has made some bad movies, Nolan hasn't....at least not yet...and as long as Christopher Nolan is on this amazing hot streak I am going to continue to follow his career....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:53 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I'm kind of holistic...I like the baddies of the 60's, 70's, and 80's. It is funny how some comic newbies think that there was never an X-Men without Logan/Wolverine when he didn't come to the fore until the early 70's! ::):

I liked the Avengers comics until they got into the second group of Avengers with Quicksilver, Scarlett Witch, and Hawkeye. I hated that group. Lost interest in that generation.

I like the second Green Lantern comic incarnation better than the first.

And I like the 1970's X Men a little better than the first, too. I'm weird...:)

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:

GKC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:54 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Yeah, Dick was no sissy! ::): They might have to for rated R with him now! NC 17 wouldn't cut it!

Doom wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:38 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

I especially like the Avengers starting around #35, and running for 70 or so issues. Like the writing, particularly.

GKC

gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
I'm kind of holistic...I like the baddies of the 60's, 70's, and 80's. It is funny how some comic newbies think that there was never an X-Men without Logan/Wolverine when he didn't come to the fore until the early 70's! ::):

I liked the Avengers comics until they got into the second group of Avengers with Quicksilver, Scarlett Witch, and Hawkeye. I hated that group. Lost interest in that generation.

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:

GKC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:54 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

While I'm definitely not much of a DC person, I like Green Lantern. I'm probably the only person in North America who was ok with the film (with some parts as exceptions). But growing up I liked him a lot. I recently got a copy of the DC Archive Editions Green Lantern Volume 1 comics. Haven't read 'em yet. I definitely prefer the old school comics. But as far as Avengers goes, I liked the first round up until the new Avengers lineup kicked in. I liked Baron Zemo's Masters of Evil. Quicksilver, Scarlett Witch, and the annoying Hawkeye (can't get over how the film Hawkeye is so NOT like the comic, the constant arrogance, brash rude disrespect to the Cap, etc.) were bland, but the baddies were good. Kang really kicked in by that time.

GKC wrote:
I especially like the Avengers starting around #35, and running for 70 or so issues. Like the writing, particularly.

GKC

gurneyhalleck1 wrote:

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:

GKC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:03 am 
King of Cool

gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
(can't get over how the film Hawkeye is so NOT like the comic, the constant arrogance, brash rude disrespect to the Cap, etc.)

When was Hawkeye ever disrespectful to Captain America in the film? :scratch: Or indeed, when was he ever arrogant? He spends the first 2/3 of the film under Loki's mind control, and barely has any scenes with Cap....and the one major scene he does have he willingly follows Cap orders without questioning, which doesn't seem disrespectful?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:55 am 
Citizen
Citizen

No, no, no. I'm not saying that's the way he is in the film. I'm saying he is brash, rude, nasty, and constantly disrespects Captain America in the COMIC BOOK series, The Avengers. In the movie, he's pretty quiet, low-key, tough, likeable. In the comic he's a real jerkwad. That's my point. The likeable guy in the movie isn't the Hawkeye I know.

Doom wrote:
gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
(can't get over how the film Hawkeye is so NOT like the comic, the constant arrogance, brash rude disrespect to the Cap, etc.)

When was Hawkeye ever disrespectful to Captain America in the film? :scratch: Or indeed, when was he ever arrogant? He spends the first 2/3 of the film under Loki's mind control, and barely has any scenes with Cap....and the one major scene he does have he willingly follows Cap orders without questioning, which doesn't seem disrespectful?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic soon
I'm on The City of God. It's so great! Saint Austin is a lot easier to read than Saint Thomas Aquinas, but he's just as deep. I've just gotten to Book Fifteen, where he starts the history of the world. Very interesting stuff, and so very readable for a Father of the Church. It's the Marcus Dods translation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Prester John by John Buchan.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:

I collect Buchan.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:35 am 
Citizen
Citizen

When you're not watching Seinfeld or reading Herbert, you read Buchan.

GKC wrote:
Bagheera wrote:

I collect Buchan.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:47 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

gurneyhalleck1 wrote:
When you're not watching Seinfeld or reading Herbert, you read Buchan.

GKC wrote:
Bagheera wrote:

I collect Buchan.

GKC

Careful. Maybe someone here doesn't know me.

GKC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:06 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

I don't know whether GKC watches Seinfeld but he certainly is no fan of Frank Herbert's. :fyi:

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

GKC wrote:
I collect Buchan.

I had started Greenmantle but put it down. This one is holding my interest a bit better.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:20 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Bagheera wrote:
GKC wrote:
I collect Buchan.

I had started Greenmantle but put it down. This one is holding my interest a bit better.

I am sorry to hear that. I would have recommended GREENMANTLE, as a first choice. But then I'm a Hannay/Leithen/Arbuthnot/etc fan, and there is a minimal connection between PRESTER JOHN, and those characters.

Have you read any others?

GKC

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 33 of 46   [ 901 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 46  Next