Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Force fingered by 10 days, I’m afraid. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=170216

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

Post subject: Re: Gene Wolfe died
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:39 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

p.falk wrote:

I thank you, very much, for the link. I'll check the books of his short stories to see if I can read it. I'm a better reader than listener.

And this post made me go check and see if I could get a separate copy of his short story, "Christmas Inn", in print. And to my amazement, there is one. I ordered it, at my wife's specific directions (GET IT! NOW!, she said). It's my favorite Gene short story, and is only available in the British edition titled THE VERY BEST OF GENE WOLFE. Which Gene sent me, knowing I wouldn't likely see it, over here. And he wanted me to see it.

A very kind man.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:44 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
I read the posts in the link... GKC, I had no idea you were that close with Gene Wolfe.
On the one hand that's incredibly cool; to the other I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

I'm curious - have you figured out any of his books? Like take The Land Across. I really liked it... but I knew that there were much deeper and more profound things happening - most of which just completely escaped me. I felt the same way with Peace and Home Fires.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:26 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

p.falk wrote:
I read the posts in the link... GKC, I had no idea you were that close with Gene Wolfe.
On the one hand that's incredibly cool; to the other I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

I'm curious - have you figured out any of his books? Like take The Land Across. I really liked it... but I knew that there were much deeper and more profound things happening - most of which just completely escaped me. I felt the same way with Peace and Home Fires.

I am never sure I've figured out any of Gene's books. And I've got reference books and interpretative explanations and commentaries and stuff like that. I also hesitated to ask him, though he occasionally asked me for my reactions to some of his things, as I got them. He asked about THE KNIGHT, for example, wondering if it, which he thought of as his first traditional fantasy book, had hit the mark. I stammered something or other, expressing what I felt. I liked it. I liked everything of his I read. It was something like if Chesterton had written all his fiction in the manner of THE MAN WHO WAS THURSDAY.

It was cool and it was a fan-thing for me. And it was a wonderful experience, that I was very, very lucky to have. We swapped letters and family pictures, and related what we were doing. And he spoke of his wife, whom he had loved so long (I only met her once). His faith was a great comfort to him, as her health declined.

I made a few other friends, in the field, but I'll probably not out live them. Gene was special. I'm still depressed. His major works ran to about 50+ titles. I have them all. All but the first and the last are signed. I got the first book only after he died, the last after I realized that something had changed, back in 2015. But I discovered last night that I have 4 signed bookplates from him, that I had forgotten. Perfect.

And I've got to get on with trying to re-read all of his stuff, including some of the small press limited things. I won't understand much more of it, but I'll meet Patera Silk and Severian, and others, again. And there's "Christmas Inn" which is special to me and my wife. And PEACE, which he told me was his favorite of his books.

Peace.

Last edited by GKC on Thu May 02, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:34 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I just re-read the Urth of the New Sun set (or whatever the Severian series is). I'm still not sure if I've been had.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:55 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I just re-read the Urth of the New Sun set (or whatever the Severian series is). I'm still not sure if I've been had.

I doubt it. I had fun, myself.

Book of the New Sun, the 4 titles. Urth of the New Sun is the sequel.