Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Walker Percy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:26 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Are his other books very different from Love in the Ruins? If not, I don't think I'll bother with them... :?

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

Post subject: Re: Walker Percy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:45 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Have you all, very wisely, stayed clear of it?

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:49 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Lost in the Cosmos is a very different kind of book. But I tried to read one of his novels once (not that one) and didn't get very far.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:08 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
The only Walker Percy I've ever read is 'The Moviegoer' a story which is really an extended character study in which not much happens, the title character is a self-described atheist who is obsessed with movies and is emotionally distant and detached from everyone around him, including his girlfriend, whom he drives to a suicide attempt, but is rather blase and unconcerned about it all. I'm no dummy, I don't think, but I really didn't understand the point of the story. I'm sure I could find an analysis somewhere that would explain it all, but since if I have to read someone's analysis to understand the point of a story, then that story doesn't seem to be very good at making the point of its own. I'm not prepared to say that he wasn't a good writer after all 'The Moviegoer' won the National Book Award and was listed in Time Magazine's '100 Best Novels Since 1923' so SOMEONE out there must think it is a good book, but he certainly was not the kind of writer who could write things that appeal to me. I don't know if I'm ever going to try to read another Walker Percy book.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:31 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Doom wrote:
The only Walker Percy I've ever read is 'The Moviegoer' a story which is really an extended character study in which not much happens, the title character is a self-described atheist who is obsessed with movies and is emotionally distant and detached from everyone around him, including his girlfriend, whom he drives to a suicide attempt, but is rather blase and unconcerned about it all. I'm no dummy, I don't think, but I really didn't understand the point of the story. I'm sure I could find an analysis somewhere that would explain it all, but since if I have to read someone's analysis to understand the point of a story, then that story doesn't seem to be very good at making the point of its own. I'm not prepared to say that he wasn't a good writer after all 'The Moviegoer' won the National Book Award and was listed in Time Magazine's '100 Best Novels Since 1923' so SOMEONE out there must think it is a good book, but he certainly was not the kind of writer who could write things that appeal to me. I don't know if I'm ever going to try to read another Walker Percy book.

If you do, don't go for Love in the Ruins! I highly recommend staying away from it!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:54 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
I read a bulk of Love in Ruins and was just confused.
I read The Last Gentleman and enjoyed the end quite a bit.
The Moviegoer was good too.... but for both The Last Gentleman and The Moviegoer I needed to read alittle background.

Oh, I read Lancelot too. Again, I enjoyed it.... pretty dismal for the majority of the book. But it ends on a hopeful note.