Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 6 of 6   [ 120 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: The Man who was Thursday
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:36 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
GKC wrote:
You know that folks on here are going to blame me for that post.

I blame gherkin. :fyi:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:28 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
GKC wrote:
You know that folks on here are going to blame me for that post.

I blame gherkin. :fyi:

I agree with Fr. Obi-Wan.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:54 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
If Weir has legs, I'll follow him.

I'm currently reading his second novel, Artemis. This one takes place not on Mars but on the moon, it's about a smuggler who gets caught up in a conspiracy for control of Artemis, a lunar colony.

Wondered what it was about.

It is too early for me to give you a full review, but I think I am far enough into the novel to say that it has all of the strengths of 'The Martian', I don't think he is suffering the sophomore slump with this one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
If Weir has legs, I'll follow him.

I'm currently reading his second novel, Artemis. This one takes place not on Mars but on the moon, it's about a smuggler who gets caught up in a conspiracy for control of Artemis, a lunar colony.

Wondered what it was about.

It is too early for me to give you a full review, but I think I am far enough into the novel to say that it has all of the strengths of 'The Martian', I don't think he is suffering the sophomore slump with this one.

Sounds good. And while I don't expect it to be anything like Heinlein, sounds Heinleinianish (conspiracy to control the moon).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Have you read Roger McBride Allen's The Farside Cannon?

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:11 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Church Affiliations: KoC, Legion of Mary
GKC wrote:
Givi46 wrote:
I'll have to take a gander, I need a new sci-fi author to latch on to since Weber is being super slow about another update to the Multiverse series :argh

That's likely more the co-author's schedule than his. I was just delighted to see it continued after Linda Evans died.

OTOH, the next Honorverse is due out in Oct. I think. Hasten the day.

Who do you read and like?

True.. it's likely his co-author is doing all the heavy lifting here. Joelle Presley does an admirable job I think though.

In sci-fi, I like Weber and Timothy Zahn. (I have read just one of the Honorverse series, didn't get any further yet). I haven't made up my mind as to whether I want to try Dune yet, Herbert's Buddhism is a bit off-putting.
And Benson, cannot forget Robert Hugh Benson.

Last edited by Givi46 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:13 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Dune is worth reading. The first two sequels are OK. The rest are disposable reading.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:15 am 
Citizen
Citizen

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
Givi46 wrote:
I'll have to take a gander, I need a new sci-fi author to latch on to since Weber is being super slow about another update to the Multiverse series

Have you read 'The Martian' by Andy Weir? It's a spectacular science fiction adventure narrative, if I have one complaint, it is the rather excessive use of profanity, but it's such an extremely well written and well-scripted story that it is easy to overlook. And it is a very, very funny book. It is a science fiction adventure comedy, I've never read another book quite like it. The book is much better than Ridley Scott film starring Matt Damon.

It is pretty good. OTOH, the 18th book in the major Honorverse line is due out this fall. It's been a great trip. If Weir has legs, I'll follow him.

Ahh the Honorverse... Part of me wants to pick it up, but the effort in trying to figure out what parts of the story go where :D Maybe I'll give it a wack this summer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:16 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Dune is worth reading. The first two sequels are OK. The rest are disposable reading.

Good to know! (summer reading list grows exponentially longer)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:38 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Givi46 wrote:
GKC wrote:
Givi46 wrote:
I'll have to take a gander, I need a new sci-fi author to latch on to since Weber is being super slow about another update to the Multiverse series :argh

That's likely more the co-author's schedule than his. I was just delighted to see it continued after Linda Evans died.

True.. it's likely his co-author is doing all the heavy lifting here. Joelle Presley does an admirable job I think though.

In sci-fi, I like Weber and Timothy Zahn. (I have read just one of the Honorverse series, didn't get any further yet). I haven't made up my mind as to whether I want to try Dune yet, Herbert's Buddhism is a bit off-putting.

Personal opinion. DUNE is marginal. Next two sequels were rancid. I never tried another. My position is a minority one, generally.

Honorverse is my main reading in Weber; Weber and his associates are among my main reading in SF, since I discovered ON BASILISK STATION around 22-23 years ago, about the time I first met David. SF reading runs back over 60 years, though Weber is sui generis, in my opinion. My wife and I are rereading the last 4-5 titles of the main line Honor series, in anticipation of the next volume, for several reasons.

Which Honor did you read? And if you like Weber and Zahn (good choices) have you tried the Manticore Ascendant series? Three volumes out, excellent story of the rise of the Star Kingdom.

For other recommendations, at this point: David Drake, Jack McDevitt.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Have you read Roger McBride Allen's The Farside Cannon?

If me, maybe. I've read something of his that sort of reminds me of what that title implies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:23 am 
Citizen
Citizen

GKC wrote:
Givi46 wrote:
GKC wrote:
Givi46 wrote:

Personal opinion. DUNE is marginal. Next two sequels were rancid. I never tried another. My position is a minority one, generally.

Honorverse is my main reading in Weber; Weber and his associates are among my main reading in SF, since I discovered ON BASILISK STATION around 22-23 years ago, about the time I first met David. SF reading runs back over 60 years, though Weber is sui generis, in my opinion. My wife and I are rereading the last 4-5 titles of the main line Honor series, in anticipation of the next volume, for several reasons.

Which Honor did you read? And if you like Weber and Zahn (good choices) have you tried the Manticore Ascendant series? Three volumes out, excellent story of the rise of the Star Kingdom.

I got to A Rising Thunder.
I think I tried one of the Manticore series, I really do need to give it a serious go however... I will read Drake and McDevitt. Ever read anything by Joe Abercrombie? He writes mostly fantasy but of what I've read so far is quite excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Givi46 wrote:
GKC wrote:
Givi46 wrote:
GKC wrote:
Givi46 wrote:

I got to A Rising Thunder.
I think I tried one of the Manticore series, I really do need to give it a serious go however... I will read Drake and McDevitt. Ever read anything by Joe Abercrombie? He writes mostly fantasy but of what I've read so far is quite excellent.

RISING THUNDER is the book which joins the CROWN OF SLAVES story line (Eric Flint's inspiration within the Honorverse) and the mainline Honor Harrington stuff. The Saganami Island sub-series also is integrated at this point, and the whole beautiful, orchestrated ballet is moving toward...something. I love it. Every convoluted story turn and exploding super dreadnought. But RISING THUNDER is far downstream to jump in.

I read more fantasy when I was younger. These days, if I do read it, it's usually something like Weber's War God series, or Jim Butcher's Alera series or Cinder Spires series (which series is currently 1 book in length). Or urban fantasy like Butcher's Harry Dresden books, or Simon Green's numerous interrelated series. Have not tried Abercrombie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:36 pm 
King of Cool

GKC wrote:

Sounds good. And while I don't expect it to be anything like Heinlein, sounds Heinleinianish (conspiracy to control the moon).

Our protagonist stumbles onto the conspiracy entirely by accident and then becomes a target, and as you can imagine, there aren't a lot of hiding places on the moon, and the hero is at pretty much every conceivable disadvantage. Much like Wattnery in The Martian, everything that possibly can go wrong does, and our hero is forced to survive entirely by her wits. The protagonist is a Saudi Arabian woman about 19-20 years old who had a falling out with her father for many reasons, not least of which is her rejection of his religion. Yeah, there are elements that are Heinlein-esque.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:45 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

Our protagonist stumbles onto the conspiracy entirely by accident and then becomes a target, and as you can imagine, there aren't a lot of hiding places on the moon, and the hero is at pretty much every conceivable disadvantage. Much like Wattnery in The Martian, everything that possibly can go wrong does, and our hero is forced to survive entirely by her wits. The protagonist is a Saudi Arabian woman about 19-20 years old who had a falling out with her father for many reasons, not least of which is her rejection of his religion. Yeah, there are elements that are Heinlein-esque.

Noted. Filed. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:37 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Quote:

Rising Thunder was still quite good. Exploding Super dreadnoughts made it awesome. Solarian League ftw! (I root for them them because Weber goes a little too far in portraying them as bumbling, arrogant antagonists)

So many books you've just listed for me to try! ::):

Last edited by Givi46 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:01 pm 
King of Cool

GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

Noted. Filed. Thanks.

I finished it earlier today, I regard it as excellent, with some very exciting action at the end.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:19 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:

Noted. Filed. Thanks.

I finished it earlier today, I regard it as excellent, with some very exciting action at the end.

I need to go order a book on Lewis/MERE CHRISTIANITY. I'll look for this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:54 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Givi46 wrote:
Quote:

Rising Storm was still quite good. Exploding Super dreadnoughts made it awesome. Solarian League ftw! (I root for them them because Weber goes a little too far in portraying them as bumbling, arrogant antagonists)

RISING THUNDER. And Sollies are...nah. You judge for yourself. Who am I to tell someone how to react to a book(s). I'd recommend the long trail of 18 or so other mainline titles before choosing sides, or making judgements, though. And come Oct...

David Drake has a very large list of very good reading. For a parallel (in a sense) to Honor, try his RCN series. His Hammer's Slammers titles are to my taste. Indeed, I've never read one of his books (and I've read most of them) that I didn't enjoy.

I've read all of Jack McDevitt's stuff. He writes a little more slowly paced stuff, lower key, with a puzzle embedded in most titles.

TALENT FOR WAR, ENGINES OF God, are among my favorites from Jack. For reasons not mentioned here, MOONFALL, CHINDI, DEEPSIX and ANCIENT SHORES are near to my heart.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:16 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

GKC wrote:
Givi46 wrote:
Quote:

RISING THUNDER. And Sollies are...nah. You judge for yourself. Who am I to tell someone how to react to a book(s). I'd recommend the long trail of 18 or so other mainline titles before choosing sides, or making judgements, though. And come Oct...

David Drake has a very large list of very good reading. For a parallel (in a sense) to Honor, try his RCN series. His Hammer's Slammers titles are to my taste. Indeed, I've never read one of his books (and I've read most of them) that I didn't enjoy.

I've read all of Jack McDevitt's stuff. He writes a little more slowly paced stuff, lower key, with a puzzle embedded in most titles.

TALENT FOR WAR, ENGINES OF God, are among my favorites from Jack. For reasons not mentioned here, MOONFALL, CHINDI, DEEPSIX and ANCIENT SHORES are near to my heart.

So many books to try!

It'd take some really, really screwed up stuff to make me give up my Sollies haha, I love an underdog (An actual underdog, not a clever-and-better-armed-and-faster David vs a sleepy-halfwit Goliath who has his hands tied)

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 6 of 6   [ 120 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6