Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: John C Wright
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:22 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
DS bought me a copy of Mr. Wright's "City Beyond Time" for Christmas. I'm not familiar with him, however, Jude is really into his writings.

Jude TXTd me last night "looks like he is Catholic", and I found this article about his conversion https://strangenotions.com/wright-conversion/

Just wondered, who here is familiar with his work?

Post subject: Re: John C Wright
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:53 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
DS bought me a copy of Mr. Wright's "City Beyond Time" for Christmas. I'm not familiar with him, however, Jude is really into his writings.

Jude TXTd me last night "looks like he is Catholic", and I found this article about his conversion https://strangenotions.com/wright-conversion/

Just wondered, who here is familiar with his work?

I'm more familiar with him than his work so I will proceed not to help you.

He's an interesting person, from what I've read. He's on the side of the Right People in the Sad Puppies wrangle in SF. He speaks his mind, forcefully. He likes a lot of the people in SF that I like. And I own 2 of his books, but have read nothing of his work. When I look at them, I don't get hooked. When I look at a list of his titles, the same. Even when he's continuing works by van Vogt or Hodgson, whom I like, he's continuing books by them I don't like.

So, ...

If you read him, report.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:34 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
The only thing I've read by him is Awake in the Night Land which is an excellent pastiche of Hodgson's The Night Land. Highly recommended.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:28 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
I read his collection of 4 short stories "Awake in the NightLand" and really liked it.
The first of the four "Awake in the Night" was the best. Some pretty terrifying moments but an ending that was very touching.
The last of the four "The Last of All Suns" started off really good, but the end of it was just too over my head.

Wright's book inspired me to read William Hope Hodgson's book "The NightLand" (which Wright's are connected to).
The first half of Hodgson's book was great.... the 2nd half had me thinking that my reactions were being filmed by some hidden camera reality show.

The 2nd half was so bad that it had our hero, who is now out in the nightland with his beloved surrounded by forces that want to kill them both, swooning over the feet of the lady he was with. At first his comment had me thinking his focusing on her feet was symbolic for how much he loved her. But after that theme surfacing repeatedly you're left thinking "no.... he's a pervert with a foot fetish".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:15 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

p.falk wrote:
I read his collection of 4 short stories "Awake in the NightLand" and really liked it.
The first of the four "Awake in the Night" was the best. Some pretty terrifying moments but an ending that was very touching.
The last of the four "The Last of All Suns" started off really good, but the end of it was just too over my head.

Wright's book inspired me to read William Hope Hodgson's book "The NightLand" (which Wright's are connected to).
The first half of Hodgson's book was great.... the 2nd half had me thinking that my reactions were being filmed by some hidden camera reality show.

The 2nd half was so bad that it had our hero, who is now out in the nightland with his beloved surrounded by forces that want to kill them both, swooning over the feet of the lady he was with. At first his comment had me thinking his focusing on her feet was symbolic for how much he loved her. But after that theme surfacing repeatedly you're left thinking "no.... he's a pervert with a foot fetish".

And I like every other thing Hodgson wrote.

Well, HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND not so much.

You might try THE DREAM OF X, which is, literally, THE NIGHT LAND, cut by 90%.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:15 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

I rather like House on the Borderland. But The Night Land is very repetitive ("I ate two of the tablets and drank some of the water"), which is unfortunate because the opening chapters and the ending are brilliant.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Peregrinator wrote:
The only thing I've read by him is Awake in the Night Land which is an excellent pastiche of Hodgson's The Night Land. Highly recommended.

"Awake in the Night Land" I now have on Kindle.

So, to be the good soldier, I downloaded "The Night Land". I tried, I really tried, but, the first chapter almost killed me. (For the record, I also have that feeling with every Russian novel I've attempted and with all of Dickens, and I could not even get through the audio book of "Moby Dick")

Now I feel like I need to give it another go? Is it like eating your vegetables where eventually you develop a taste for them?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:13 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Chapters 2-5 are a bit better, chapters 6-10 are not bad (but do suffer from repetition), then 11-14 are more or less a waste, and 15-17 are good again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:46 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

There's a house in my neighborhood that, when decorated for Christmas, is outlined in dim LED lights that cast more shadow than light. I took to calling it "the House of Silence" and now my wife and kids do the same, it's become a point of reference.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:10 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Peregrinator wrote:
There's a house in my neighborhood that, when decorated for Christmas, is outlined in dim LED lights that cast more shadow than light. I took to calling it "the House of Silence" and now my wife and kids do the same, it's become a point of reference.

Okay, I'm going back in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:

"Awake in the Night Land" I now have on Kindle.

So, to be the good soldier, I downloaded "The Night Land". I tried, I really tried, but, the first chapter almost killed me. (For the record, I also have that feeling with every Russian novel I've attempted and with all of Dickens, and I could not even get through the audio book of "Moby Dick")

Now I feel like I need to give it another go? Is it like eating your vegetables where eventually you develop a taste for them?

HOUSE is on line in a radio dramatization.

If that helps.

I'm not advocating NIGHT LAND or HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND; but tastes do differ. I advocate Hodgson's sea stories and his Carnacki.

Careful and attentive readers here may recall that some time back, during a discussion here, I took my Mycroft & Moran copy of CARNACKI, THE GHOST-FINDER and my Don Grant edition of OUT OF THE STORM, from the shelf, to look something up. They disappeared and have not been seen since. So eerie is that writing. Chilling.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:22 am 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

I liked one or two of the Carnacki stories, but the remainder weren't terribly impressive. YMMV. I don't think I've read the sea stories.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:58 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Peregrinator wrote:
I liked one or two of the Carnacki stories, but the remainder weren't terribly impressive. YMMV. I don't think I've read the sea stories.

Carnacki is a prime example of the "occult detective" sub-sub-genre, which delights me endlessly, and I collect assiduously. I do have a backup copy of CARNACKI, but that Mycroft & Moran edition is collectible, for a couple of hundred books, currently. I miss it. And OUT OF THE STORM has a very good 100 page intro, on Hodgson. Those two books are starting to scare me.

The sea stories are multitudinous, and collected in various places. If you can find my OUT OF THE STORM, that's one.

Otherwise, GHOST PIRATES, BOATS OF THE GLEN CARRIG are novels, of that sort.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:21 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
p.falk wrote:

That's Wright for you. When he's on, he's really on. When he's off, he's had a wonderful idea that degenerates into characters making epic but incomprehensible speeches at each other about What It All Means.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:21 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
p.falk wrote:

That's Wright for you. When he's on, he's really on. When he's off, he's had a wonderful idea that degenerates into characters making epic but incomprehensible speeches at each other about What It All Means.

Sort of like Atlas Shrugged????

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:55 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Never read it. Don't intend to.

Need something to read?