Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Secrets of the Interior Life
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Secrets of the Interior Life is a little book I picked up at a Catholic bookstore that I did not bother to read until now. I'm almost finished with it and now, I wish I had started it a year and more ago when I was going through such suffering and turmoil. Written by +Luis M. Martinez (1881-1956), Archbishop of Mexico City and Primate of Mexico, it is an excellent book in broadening and deepening our understanding of faith and it's detachment from the sensual, emotional, & temporal. It has given me great insight into understanding the role of faith during those times of great spiritual emptiness and/or spiritual, physical, and mental, suffering. I wish my Spanish was good enough to read it in the language it was written as the translator testifies to the splendid Spanish of it's author but even in it's English translation, the writing is beautifully crafted. Link below to Amazon.com but it can be purchased from numerous sources and is very inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Interior-Life-Luis-Martinez/dp/1928832873

Post subject: Re: Secrets of the Interior Life
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:15 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Catholic
cool. i have been trying to find advice on how to go about detaching and mortification. not making progress.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:39 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Ohhhh.... seems he wrote another (to add to my list)
Worshipping a Hidden God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:47 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Thanks for mentioning this book.
Adding it to the Christmas list. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:14 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Two chapters in and it's pretty good.

First chapter was about how in order to ascend we must descend (practicing humility in all of our fallings) allowing God to descend into our misery with us to unity ourselves to Him.

The 2nd chapter is about inordinate affections (leading to mortal and venial sins).... how any of our affections that spring from love of God can't be inordinate. But the affections that spring from our own nature can become inordinate and impede the love of God within us from growing.