Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lectio Divina
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:27 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Any recommendations for a good book on Lectio Divina?

Post subject: Re: Lectio Divina
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:23 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Many thanks for your inquiry, which sent me to the basement to find Fr Basil Pennington's fine book, Lectio Divina, and an enjoyable hour or more looking through it again. In truth, my stack of books to read frequently gets moved to the basement when we have company overnight, and sometimes the books don't always make it back upstairs. Thus I must admit I've read only about a third, but it's enjoyable, motivating, and informative, as were two other of Fr Basil's books that I've finished. He is OCSO at St Joseph's Monastery in nearby Spencer, MA.
One of my favorite web sites, http://www.librarything.com, lists this as the second most sold book on the subject, with 188 member purchases, which trails the 300 members that own Too Deep for Words by Thelma Hall. Both books are rated 3.9. Dr Christine Paintner has two books on the subject with a combined member ownership of only about 60, but both are rated 5. Praying the Word by Enzo Bianchi has a 4 rating, but only about 40 members.
Happily, Fr Basil is now back at the top of my reading pile, and I recommend him for yours as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:01 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Very nice...I just might have to check it out. Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:12 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I reluctantly feel I should admit that I've been struggling to resume reading Lectio, and when I pulled out Centering Prayer I found similar reservations and concerns that I've either forgotten or just didn't think of a few years ago. My bride says I'm getting more skeptical and critical in my twilight years-I keep hoping I'm actually getting a bit smarter, even though my memory is undeniably somewhat more shakey.
There is considerable negativism, revisionism, and vagueness here that borders on heresy, foolishness, and arrogance. I regret and withdraw my recommendation. Would anyone care to discuss further?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:21 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
eschator83 wrote:
I reluctantly feel I should admit that I've been struggling to resume reading Lectio, and when I pulled out Centering Prayer I found similar reservations and concerns that I've either forgotten or just didn't think of a few years ago. My bride says I'm getting more skeptical and critical in my twilight years-I keep hoping I'm actually getting a bit smarter, even though my memory is undeniably somewhat more shakey.
There is considerable negativism, revisionism, and vagueness here that borders on heresy, foolishness, and arrogance. I regret and withdraw my recommendation. Would anyone care to discuss further?

In the past I remember hearing warnings about Father Basil Pennington. I found this online:

http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/dissent ... prayer.htm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:04 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Many thanks for this fascinating link. Isn't it a shame that religious publications aren't more consistently reviewed and praised or criticized appropriately, as they used to be.