Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 42 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Literary characters that make you want to be a better pe
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:04 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Among more contemporary subjects, I found Schulz (about Charles Schulz, creator of Peanuts) a fascinating read about a painfully insecure and introverted man. Charlie Brown was who he was; Linus was who he wanted to be. I have identified with that dichotomy my entire life, and I found myself very introspective while I read the book.

Which one? I read the one by David Michaelis and was not happy. Another one by Daniel Shanahan seems more promising - Sparky's Folks: A Tribute to the Life and Work of Charles Schulz.

I had the pleasure of receiving correspondence from the author in which we both shared our love for Shulz and disdain for the aforementioned bio:

Dear Mr. Shanahan:

I found your review of the Michaelis biography of Charles Schulz amid a pile of clippings I've been meaning to get around to reading. Four years later, a copy of the American Book Review (2008) in which your superb review of Schulz and Peanuts appeared resurfaced.

I had read the biography with great anticipation, but was disappointed for the same reasons you were. I found an over-reliance on reading into his mind the situation in the strips. One example you used was the plot line in which Snoopy touches the soft paw of the dog during a fire at the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm.

Like millions of others, I was and remain a huge fan of Charles Schulz. He was far more than a mere cartoonist. I could not do justice to a review of your review, so I'll just thank you for defending that shy, retiring man with the thick glasses and military-style haircut who created a cast of the most memorable characters since Dickens.

Patrick Hubbell

Sent April 20, 2012

Subject: Re: Schulz and Peanuts review
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 10:49:13 +0200
To: riverboatph@xxx

Patrick,

Many thanks for your kind words. I was, indeed, quite disappointed with the Michaelis biography, so much so that it led me to write my own, short account of Sparky and his work. It's just been published and is available on amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Sparkys-Folks-Tri ... 945&sr=8-1). Mrs. Schulz was kind enough to write a blurb for the back cover, and those who have read it - both those who knew Sparky personally and those who didn't - have given it a warm reception. You might like to have a look.

Thanks again for your message,

Dan Shanahan

Post subject: Re: Literary characters that make you want to be a better pe
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:10 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
Good info.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 3 of 3   [ 42 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3