Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Brideshead Revisited
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:11 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I don't think there was anything other than the cold relationship and the infidelity.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
His prose is beautiful.

I just finished this part where Charles is reflecting on Julia's comment that maybe she too is just a forerunner to something else. She says this after Charles said that Sebastian was a forerunner to her. Then Charles has this thought:

"Perhaps, I thought, while her words still hung in the air between us like a wisp of tobacco smoke – a thought to fade and diminish like smoke without a trace – perhaps all our loves are merely hints and symbols… Perhaps you and I are types and this sadness that sometimes falls between us springs from disappointment in our search, each straining through and beyond the other, snatching a glimpse now and then of the shadow which turns the corner always a pace or two ahead of us."....

Though Charles is still an agnostic at this part I take this to prefigure a love for Christ. Like how CS Lewis speaks of signs that point beyond themselves to something greater.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:15 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Just finished it.

That burning flame in the beaten copper lamp... is that meant to represent Christ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:39 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
It's the sanctuary lamp in the house chapel.

Need something to read?

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2