Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Housekeeping - Marilynne Robinson
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:42 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Some of this book I liked... some I couldn't stand.
Robinson has a way with words. She crafts these beautiful printed thoughts that just strike me with their wisdom (an effect on me like Chesterton has).
For example:
"Every spirit passing through the world fingers the tangible and mars the mutable, and finally has come to look and not to buy. So shoes are worn and hassocks are sat upon and finally everything is left where it was and the spirit passes on, just as the wind in the orchard picks up the leaves from the ground as if there were no other pleasure in the world but brown leaves, as if it would deck, clothe, flesh itself in flourishes of dusty brown apple leaves, and then drops them all in a heap at the side of the house and goes on."

But, there were many times in this book where I just had no idea what Ruth (the narrator) was saying. These highly personal reflections that in the absence of some fleshing out left me thinking, "What are you trying to say?!?!".

Then there parts of Ruth's narration where I thought she sounded very much like Binx Bolling in The Moviegoer. That at least helped elucidate her thoughts a bit for me.... but all of that hinges on my assumption that that was Ruth's intention.

In some of Ruth's more melancholic reflections I picked up on a vibe of "our hearts are restless until they rest in Him".... which is very possible since Marilynne Robinson is not shy with where her religious inclinations are pointed (God bless her for that).

If anyone has read this book and has more developed thoughts on it I'd love to hear them.