Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Enthusiasm
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:55 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
:shock: I can't believe gherkin edited my post like that! :shock:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:00 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
More precisely, someone owns the copyright, but it is cost-prohibitive to find out who, and 90% of the actual owners wouldn't be interested in the minimal income anyhow. But since they can't be identified, there's a legal risk in distributing anything still in copyright lest an owner appear and sue.

Who could possibly own the copyright to the works of a childless priest with no heirs, other than, I suppose, the government or his diocese? Baronius Press was able to reprint his Bible only after more than a decade of negotiations with the diocese of London which owned the copyright, why the diocese was so hesitant to make money off a copyright that had been sitting around unused for close to 50 years is beyond my capacity to understand.

Another good question is: if the copyright owner is aware that he owns a copyright, and believes it isn't worth the effort to try to get the work back into publication to make money off it, then what is the point of even owning the copyright in the first place? If I owned a copyright to a work that I didn't think was worth anything, I would either try to sell the copyright or just fill out the paperwork to renounce the copyright and put the work in the public domain.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:08 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Quote:
Who could possibly own the copyright to the works of a childless priest with no heirs

If he left a will, then whoever he left them to. If he didn't, then inheritance laws specify how it works--siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews, whatever.

And that's assuming he kept ownership of the copyright himself.

Copyright law in the US (and probably other places) is set up the way the big entertainment corporations want it, not in any way that makes actual practical sense.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Code:
Title                 Enthusiasm; a chapter in the history of religion with special reference to the XVII and XVIII centuries.
Author                Ronald A. Knox.
Registration Date     26Oct50
Renewal Date          28Dec78
Registration Number   A49042
Renewal Id            RE041533
Renewing Entity       Earl of Oxford and Asquith, Julian Edward George Asquith (E)

https://collections.stanford.edu/copyri ... regISO%29=

So it's the same person (presumably the third Earl of wherever) who holds the copyright to The Belief of Catholics, which Ignatius was able to re-publish.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:21 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sheed and Ward did the renewal for Knox's translation of the OT, so Baronius was dealing with someone else in getting that reprinted. Either the NT was done after the need for renewals was done away with, or it wasn't renewed, or it's not showing up in that database for some other reason.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:27 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I would guess that the holdup here is not the copyright; it's that no one has plates to print more copies with, and no one thinks that the market will bear what it would cost to retypeset the book.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:45 pm 
King of Cool

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I would guess that the holdup here is not the copyright; it's that no one has plates to print more copies with, and no one thinks that the market will bear what it would cost to retypeset the book.

It costs next to nothing to convert it to an e-book.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:58 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

More if you want one without scannos and with proper formatting.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 pm 
King of Cool

But only a fraction of what it costs to print, with a much higher return on your initial investment. And, if the owner doesn't find the copyright worthwhile, they could try selling it and letting someone else worry about it or just letting the work the public domain. I see no point in holding on to a copyright if you don't intend to do something with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:04 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

There was an attempt a few years ago to get a law freeing orphaned works that were obviously abandoned by their owners. It didn't pass :(

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:06 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Interestingly (to me, at least), my University of Notre Dame Press copy of Enthusiasm was published in 1994 using what look like the Newman Press's plates from the 1950s. No copyright renewal notice was printed.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:07 am 
King of Cool

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
There was an attempt a few years ago to get a law freeing orphaned works that were obviously abandoned by their owners. It didn't pass :(

What concerns me is that under the 1998 law, a lot of stuff is going to enter the public domain starting on January 1, 2019. And then more every year. Is Congress going to actually LET these copyrights lapse, or are they going to do the same thing they did 20 years ago and pass yet another unnecessary copyright extension act to prevent it from happening? 2018 is the moment of truth testing whether Congress will ever let anything entire the public domain again. There is absolutely no talk yet of any copyright extension act, but then Congress has a way of passing these things late at night with little public debate when no one is looking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:18 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

:cry:

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:26 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Doom wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

What concerns me is that under the 1998 law, a lot of stuff is going to enter the public domain starting on January 1, 2019. And then more every year. Is Congress going to actually LET these copyrights lapse, or are they going to do the same thing they did 20 years ago and pass yet another unnecessary copyright extension act to prevent it from happening? 2018 is the moment of truth testing whether Congress will ever let anything entire the public domain again. There is absolutely no talk yet of any copyright extension act, but then Congress has a way of passing these things late at night with little public debate when no one is looking.

If they want to make Disney pay $10M a year to keep Steamboat Willie under copyright, I'd be cool with that. Let those who really want to hang on to their copyrights do so, and let the rest go free. But that's probably too sensible.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:26 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Doom wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

If they want to make Disney pay $10M a year to keep Steamboat Willie under copyright, I'd be cool with that. Let those who really want to hang on to their copyrights do so, and let the rest go free. But that's probably too sensible.

Probably.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:45 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Am I the only person who saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-sV-O2-jCY

Guess I'm slated for more time in Purgatory than I'd thought. :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops:

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Am I the only person who saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-sV-O2-jCY

Guess I'm slated for more time in Purgatory than I'd thought. :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops:

I'm not gonna click that for fear of the word "curb".

Just cautious.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:57 am 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Curb? :scratch: You lost me there, compadre.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:46 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Poor orphaned works. :cry:

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:24 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Mrs. Timmy wrote:
Curb? :scratch: You lost me there, compadre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_Your_Enthusiasm

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next