Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Enthusiasm
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:19 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
I'm particularly unenthusiastic about the fact that it doesn't seem either to be in print or available on kindle. :(

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

Post subject: Re: Enthusiasm
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:48 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

It's available on the OOP market at not too heinous a price. http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl ... 20religion

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:57 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I'm too old to read paper books, the print is usually too small and even with my glasses, it is hard for me to find a place where there is adequate light for me to see the print.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:17 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Being old. How quaint.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Being old. How quaint.

:x

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:40 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

I was just reading a paper book there now-- Vonier's 'A Key to the Doctrine of the Eucharist'. It's brilliant, if challenging. I shall probably have to reread it a few times!

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:46 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Being old. How quaint.

Yay, I'm quaint!!! :sunny:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:53 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You are a spring chicken. Errr, parrot.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:12 pm 
King of Cool

Anyway, the works of Ronald Knox are a classic example of the problems of modern copyright law. It is difficult to get his books reprinted, or made available as an e-book because it isn't clear who owns the copyright, or maybe no one owns it. Knox's works are what would be called 'orphan works', works that cannot be republished because no one owns the copyright and thus no one can authorize republication. Before 1978, this was not a problem, because copyrights existed for only 28 years, and could be renewed only once for another term of 28 years, for a total of 56 years. More than 90% of copyrights were not renewed for the second term, and thus most copyrights lasted only 28 years. A maximum of 56 years, with most copyrights lasting only 28 years, seems to me to be a reasonable standard. It guarantees that authors can make a living from their works but makes sure that there is a lot that can still enter and enrich the public domain, and if it came down to it and the author was still alive after 56 years he could always revise his work in a new edition that he could then copyright while allowing the old edition to enter the public domain.

In 1978, copyright law was changed to conform to the terms of the Bern Convention and conform American copyright law to international copyright law. Under the 1978 law, copyrights existed for the entire lifetime of the author, plus 50 years after his death. This is the standard that still exists in the rest of the western world.

In 1998, for no apparent reason, whatever except pressure by powerful copyright owners the US extended copyrights by another 20 years. The new rule is that for works published after 1978, the copyright lasts for the lifetime of the author plus 70 years, but for works written before 1978, the copyright lasts for 95 years, full stop.

Since the US standard is much, much stricter than what exists in the rest of the western world, there are in fact hundreds of works that are in the public domain everywhere else in the world EXCEPT the United States.

But the result of the extension of copyright law to 95 years for all works before 1978 means that there are tons of works out there that have been out of print for decades and since no one owns the copyright, cannot be reprinted for several more decades.

Under the pre-1998 rules, the complete works of Ronald Knox would have entered the public domain in 2007, 50 years after Knox died. Under the current law, many works of Knox won't enter the public domain until the 2050's. Knox's translation of the Bible was published in 1949, so it won't enter the public domain until 2044. This is absolutely asinine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:42 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Anyway, the works of Ronald Knox are a classic example of the problems of modern copyright law. It is difficult to get his books reprinted, or made available as an e-book because it isn't clear who owns the copyright, or maybe no one owns it. Knox's works are what would be called 'orphan works', works that cannot be republished because no one owns the copyright and thus no one can authorize republication. Before 1978, this was not a problem, because copyrights existed for only 28 years, and could be renewed only once for another term of 28 years, for a total of 56 years. More than 90% of copyrights were not renewed for the second term, and thus most copyrights lasted only 28 years. A maximum of 56 years, with most copyrights lasting only 28 years, seems to me to be a reasonable standard. It guarantees that authors can make a living from their works but makes sure that there is a lot that can still enter and enrich the public domain, and if it came down to it and the author was still alive after 56 years he could always revise his work in a new edition that he could then copyright while allowing the old edition to enter the public domain.

In 1978, copyright law was changed to conform to the terms of the Bern Convention and conform American copyright law to international copyright law. Under the 1978 law, copyrights existed for the entire lifetime of the author, plus 50 years after his death. This is the standard that still exists in the rest of the western world.

In 1998, for no apparent reason, whatever except pressure by powerful copyright owners the US extended copyrights by another 20 years. The new rule is that for works published after 1978, the copyright lasts for the lifetime of the author plus 70 years, but for works written before 1978, the copyright lasts for 95 years, full stop.

Since the US standard is much, much stricter than what exists in the rest of the western world, there are in fact hundreds of works that are in the public domain everywhere else in the world EXCEPT the United States.

But the result of the extension of copyright law to 95 years for all works before 1978 means that there are tons of works out there that have been out of print for decades and since no one owns the copyright, cannot be reprinted for several more decades.

Under the pre-1998 rules, the complete works of Ronald Knox would have entered the public domain in 2007, 50 years after Knox died. Under the current law, many works of Knox won't enter the public domain until the 2050's. Knox's translation of the Bible was published in 1949, so it won't enter the public domain until 2044. This is absolutely asinine.

Fortunately, I started collecting Knox around 50 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have everything.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:55 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

More precisely, someone owns the copyright, but it is cost-prohibitive to find out who, and 90% of the actual owners wouldn't be interested in the minimal income anyhow. But since they can't be identified, there's a legal risk in distributing anything still in copyright lest an owner appear and sue.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:59 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Quote:
powerful copyright owners
***COUGH*** disney ***COUGH*** It has nothing to do with the fact that Steamboat Willie is copyright 1928! Nothing, I tell you! Nothing!

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:01 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
More precisely, someone owns the copyright, but it is cost-prohibitive to find out who, and 90% of the actual owners wouldn't be interested in the minimal income anyhow. But since they can't be identified, there's a legal risk in distributing anything still in copyright lest an owner appear and sue.

Fortunately I do have ENTHUSIASM. And the book, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Ignatius Press still has some Knox works in print. For example, The Belief of Catholics is copyright 1927 by Knox himself, but the next line says "Copyright the Earl of Oxford and Essex," presumably this one, since he converted to Catholicism. Ignatius got permission from someone to reprint it--perhaps the Earl himself, since he lived until 2011. If that is the case, perhaps the copyright in this work resides with the 2nd Earl's heir, the third earl.

Now I will have to go look at the copyright notice in my copy of Enthusiasm which is, naturally enough, across the street. Why is it that the books I need when I'm at the office are always in my quarters, and vice-versa? (Except I have a copy of Jone in both places.)

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:29 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Great Scott! The 2nd Earl was Bellatrix Lestrange's great uncle!

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:31 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Ignatius Press still has some Knox works in print. For example, The Belief of Catholics is copyright 1927 by Knox himself, but the next line says "Copyright the Earl of Oxford and Essex," presumably this one, since he converted to Catholicism. Ignatius got permission from someone to reprint it--perhaps the Earl himself, since he lived until 2011. If that is the case, perhaps the copyright in this work resides with the 2nd Earl's heir, the third earl.

Now I will have to go look at the copyright notice in my copy of Enthusiasm which is, naturally enough, across the street. Why is it that the books I need when I'm at the office are always in my quarters, and vice-versa? (Except I have a copy of Jone in both places.)

My edition is copyright by Oxford University Press/1950. The year of publication.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:34 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Presumably OUP still has the rights, then.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:50 pm 
King of Cool

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Quote:
powerful copyright owners
***COUGH*** disney ***COUGH*** It has nothing to do with the fact that Steamboat Willie is copyright 1928! Nothing, I tell you! Nothing!

I know this may be hard to believe, but there was actually comparatively little lobbying by Disney in 1998. The estates of George Gershwin and F Scott Fitzgerald actually devoted far more money to lobbying than Disney. Disney absolutely supported the law, as did every Hollywood studio, but their efforts were no more strong than any other movie studio in 1998.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:54 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Earl of Oxford and Asquith rather than Essex perhaps?

J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 3   [ 45 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next