Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:52 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34332
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
I've been a Science Fiction girl since I could hold a book. The "Golden Age" stuff got me through my childhood, and then I moved on ... the Cyberpunk stuff kinda got meh and I really stopped reading anyone newish. Then I read Orson Scott Card. Now, I've read just about everything he has written (the lack of some titles at my library

Anyway, I consume audio books like water. Mostly history, science, other non-fiction stuff.

Occasionally I want a novel and a few nights ago I really wanted a SciFi fix.

I've read some of Bova's short stories and novellas over the years, but, can never remember reading a novel. Randomly scrolling on Hoopla at 1 AM... I say Bova's "New Earth" and checked it out. I enjoyed the book. It felt like an old-fashioned read, just a story without gratuitous sex or language.

Over the past years seems that he is writing a loose series "Grand Tour of the Universe" and while they are not a series one must read in order, the characters and events do cross in different titles. I'm now reading "Levithans" which is a sequel to the book about Jupiter, but, that one is not available at my library and this one is very engaging.

As I am only 2 books in on his work, do any of you have suggestions of must-read titles? Do you hate him? I know he is an atheist, I've not had any ham fisted anti-religious stuff thus far.

Also, any suggested authors who write Sci Fi (I am NOT a Fantasy gal in general, have read a few, have loved a few, but, in general I don't want to waste one of my 10 Hoopla titles per month on Fantasy)

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:13 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 77227
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Roger MacBride Allen
Timothy Zahn

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:41 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 18391
David Weber. His works include some fantasy, but they are easy to spot and avoid, if that's your idea of a good time. He does write long series that need to be read in sequence, but while that's his best stuff, there are singletons and duets.

Timothy Zahn is currently involved in parts of the Weber main series (Honor Harrington/Honorverse). I;ve read a fair amount of his work and never not liked any of it.

Jack McDevitt. Everything.

Larry Niven's Known Space series. Again, a series, but RINGWORLD would let you know if you liked it.

I hesitate to include others of my favorites, for fear they might include stuff I've forgotten. Also, I don't know what sort you might favor (space opera, for instance). Or you may already know these.


I have not read much Bova, though I met him once.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:07 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 77227
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Unfortunately McDevitt's atheism comes through every now and then in a non-helpful way. Sometimes it's quite the opposite--he handles religion well in A Talent For War, for example. And then there's the fact that Polaris is a population-control screed :( And that said, his books are books I can reread with enjoyment.

I thought about mentioning Zahn.

Lois McMaster Bujold, up to but not including the latest instalment in the Vorkosigan series.

Does Jack Vance count as s/f or fantasy? The Araminta Station trilogy is definitely s/f, as are the demon princes (despite what one might think from the title).

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:10 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 77227
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
GKC wrote:
Timothy Zahn

I pre-ordered my copy of Thrawn today :cloud9:

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:57 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 18391
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Unfortunately McDevitt's atheism comes through every now and then in a non-helpful way. Sometimes it's quite the opposite--he handles religion well in A Talent For War, for example. And then there's the fact that Polaris is a population-control screed :( And that said, his books are books I can reread with enjoyment.

I thought about mentioning Zahn.

Lois McMaster Bujold, up to but not including the latest instalment in the Vorkosigan series.

Does Jack Vance count as s/f or fantasy? The Araminta Station trilogy is definitely s/f, as are the demon princes (despite what one might think from the title).


"The air was heavy with incense and the sweet odor of hot wax." I concur with your last sentence, especially. All of them. Nothing McDevitt has written has bothered me. Far from it.

I thought about mentioning Lois McMaster Bujold. I buy her Vorkosigan books far faster than I can read them (true of all books I buy), so I have no idea what the last book might be. Her handwriting is admirable, in addition.

Mentioning Zahn was a good idea.

I'd say Vance was SF. Except for DYING EARTH and LYONESSE titles. I own more Vance than I have read, as is common.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:03 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 18391
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
GKC wrote:
Timothy Zahn

I pre-ordered my copy of Thrawn today :cloud9:



In that I'm not a SW fan, his original trilogy is all I've ever read in that line. But certainly, people who like SW speak very highly of his contribution.

There is a new one, as of...?

Added: Ok. I see. April. My daughter might like it.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:25 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 77227
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I loved Gordon Dickson's Childe cycle books years ago. On rereading them, the lone hero motif grows somewhat tiresome, but I still like Soldier, Ask Not.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:33 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 18391
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I loved Gordon Dickson's Childe cycle books years ago. On rereading them, the lone hero motif grows somewhat tiresome, but I still like Soldier, Ask Not.



I do too. I would have liked to have seen the rumored unwritten books, historical and contemporary, that I've seen mentioned as proposed parts of the cycle.

I'd guess you are not likely to read David Drake's SF?

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:33 am 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 77227
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Read some of it, years ago. Wasn't impressed.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:11 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 18391
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Read some of it, years ago. Wasn't impressed.



I am. Mileages differ, to be sure. He writes in several sub-genera, and I read all. His Lt. Leary/RCN series is excellent small scale space opera. As I find it.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:40 am 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34332
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
GKC wrote:

Larry Niven's Known Space series. Again, a series, but RINGWORLD would let you know if you liked it.

I hesitate to include others of my favorites, for fear they might include stuff I've forgotten. Also, I don't know what sort you might favor (space opera, for instance). Or you may already know these.


I have not read much Bova, though I met him once.


When Brad and I were first getting to know each other, Niven was an early shared favorite :cloud9:

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:22 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 18391
kage_ar wrote:
GKC wrote:

Larry Niven's Known Space series. Again, a series, but RINGWORLD would let you know if you liked it.

I hesitate to include others of my favorites, for fear they might include stuff I've forgotten. Also, I don't know what sort you might favor (space opera, for instance). Or you may already know these.


I have not read much Bova, though I met him once.


When Brad and I were first getting to know each other, Niven was an early shared favorite :cloud9:



:)

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:40 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:43 am
Posts: 18
Religion: Catholic
I don't believe you can go wrong with Arthur C. Clarke. His short stories are amazing, and his novels always worth the read...IMO.

_________________
Scott

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe. - St. Augustine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:22 pm 
Offline
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 34332
Location: Here in the center holding my bleeding heart...
Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Cassady71 wrote:
I don't believe you can go wrong with Arthur C. Clarke. His short stories are amazing, and his novels always worth the read...IMO.


Yep, he is a close second to Clifford D Simak as my favorite "Golden Age" author.

_________________
Living life on prayers and hooks and needles...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:12 am 
Offline
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:54 am
Posts: 39546
Location: Ithilien
Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
The Mote in God's Eye by Niven & Pournelle. This is usually my favorite SF book; it's the point of comparison for everything else.

_________________
Formerly Bagheera

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:18 am 
Offline
King of Cool

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 74926
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Peregrinator wrote:
The Mote in God's Eye by Niven & Pournelle. This is usually my favorite SF book; it's the point of comparison for everything else.


While that was good, after I read it, I did have to wonder why it has the reputation it does. It's a nice story, but it is also kind of a screed for Planned Parenthood on the importance of contraception and population control, which was a twist that I found very jarring. It is good, but I have I definitely read better science-fiction novels, including Ender's Game, the Foundation Trilogy and A Canticle for Leibowitz. I don't know why some people, including Robert Heinlein apparently, rank it is as the best science fiction novel ever written.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:31 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 18391
Doom wrote:
Peregrinator wrote:
The Mote in God's Eye by Niven & Pournelle. This is usually my favorite SF book; it's the point of comparison for everything else.


While that was good, after I read it, I did have to wonder why it has the reputation it does. It's a nice story, but it is also kind of a screed for Planned Parenthood on the importance of contraception and population control, which was a twist that I found very jarring. It is good, but I have I definitely read better science-fiction novels, including Ender's Game, the Foundation Trilogy and A Canticle for Leibowitz. I don't know why some people, including Robert Heinlein apparently, rank it is as the best science fiction novel ever written.



Usually because I told them it was.

On alternate weekends, I say it was CANTICLE.

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:55 pm 
Offline
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:54 am
Posts: 39546
Location: Ithilien
Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Doom wrote:
While that was good, after I read it, I did have to wonder why it has the reputation it does. It's a nice story, but it is also kind of a screed for Planned Parenthood on the importance of contraception and population control, which was a twist that I found very jarring.

It actually isn't, but I would not blame someone for thinking that, especially if he had read the sequel (The Gripping Hand). Rather it demonstrates that not every moral dilemma has an easy answer.

_________________
Formerly Bagheera

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ben Bova
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:58 pm 
Offline
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:54 am
Posts: 39546
Location: Ithilien
Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
Cassady71 wrote:
I don't believe you can go wrong with Arthur C. Clarke. His short stories are amazing, and his novels always worth the read...IMO.

Not always, although the only counterexample I can think of off the top of my head is Imperial Earth. Boring and meandering.

_________________
Formerly Bagheera

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 32 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Jump to: