Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Defending Constantine" - Peter Leithart
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:50 pm 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
Quite an enjoyable read. Leithart has a way of making the already interesting content even more interesting.

One funny part…
After detailing some of the forms of persecution under Diocletian, Leithart quotes Gibbon, “’Such was the mild spirit of antiquity that the nations were less attentive to the difference than to the resemblance of their religious worship,’ Edward Gibbon wrote from the comfort of his study. He avowed that Roman magistrates who persecuted Christians did so reluctantly, ‘strangers’ as they were to the ‘inflexible obstinacy’ and ‘furious zeal’ of bigoted Christians. If Christians were persecuted, they had only themselves to blame: ‘as they were actuated, not by the furious zeal of bigots, but by the temperate policy of legislators, (the officials’) contempt must often have relaxed, and humanity must frequently have suspended, the execution of those laws which they enacted against the humble and obscure followers of Christ.’…. Still, it is hard to make Romans look noble and businesslike when they are flaying Christians alive, and it is even more difficult to make Christians look like ignorant zealots when they are treated with such intense hatred.”

Post subject: Re: "Defending Constantine" - Peter Leithart
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:18 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I bought that book a few years ago but I've only read the first couple chapters.