Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 62 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: lord of the rings
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:28 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Just bought the Fellowship and the 2 sequels. I bought them because it's been a few years since I attempted to first read it and I did not get too far. I'm now at the point where they made it through Moria.

1. Any tips for reading this...e.g. "pay close attention to The Council of Elrond" as some have said. Any other tips?

2. Also, are there any good illustration books (maps, etc.) that anyone knows of to accompany these 3 books? I know. I'm a nerd.

3. Does anyone here have the audiobooks, read by Rob Inglis, and would like to sell them?

Post subject: Re: lord of the rings
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:40 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
The most important tip is that The Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy, it is one book that was printed in three volumes against Tolkien's desire due to a paper shortage.

Sorry, it is a bit of a pet peeve to me to hear it being referred to as a 'trilogy'.

More seriously, it is not necessarily an easy book to read the first time through, you might need to read it twice or three times to really understand the story.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:10 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
The most important tip is that The Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy, it is one book that was printed in three volumes against Tolkien's desire due to a paper shortage.

Sorry, it is a bit of a pet peeve to me to hear it being referred to as a 'trilogy'.

More seriously, it is not necessarily an easy book to read the first time through, you might need to read it twice or three times to really understand the story.

Or, as I always like to repeat, one can read it the way I did, the first time. Backwards.

While yes, Tolkien wanted it published as a single entity, perhaps under one title, with numbered volumes, there being no natural division of it, beyond the 2 "books" in each of the published volumes, Allen & Unwin held out for 3 individually named volumes. One reason: to not throw off readers by the size of the thing, and to increase the possibility of publicity and reviews as each new title appeared(Carpenter bio). Tolkien (Letters) referred to the the problem being "length and cost". Paper shortage, I dunno.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:32 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Strider wrote:
Just bought the Fellowship and the 2 sequels. I bought them because it's been a few years since I attempted to first read it and I did not get too far. I'm now at the point where they made it through Moria.

1. Any tips for reading this...e.g. "pay close attention to The Council of Elrond" as some have said. Any other tips?

2. Also, are there any good illustration books (maps, etc.) that anyone knows of to accompany these 3 books? I know. I'm a nerd.

3. Does anyone here have the audiobooks, read by Rob Inglis, and would like to sell them?

There's Fonstad's ATLAS OF MIDDLE EARTH, likely available through Barnes & Noble's OP dealer net. Illustrations, I've never found anything I'd recommend.

Is your query saying that they don't include the maps anymore, with the books? I haven't bought any of the LOTR volumes since I bought the 50th anniversary one volume edition in 1994 and gave it to my daughter. My reading copies are the hardback 2nd American editions, with all the maps I needed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:40 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

GKC wrote:
Strider wrote:

There's Fonstad's ATLAS OF MIDDLE EARTH, likely available through Barnes & Noble's OP dealer net. Illustrations, I've never found anything I'd recommend.

Is your query saying that they don't include the maps anymore, with the books? I haven't bought any of the LOTR volumes since I bought the 50th anniversary one volume edition in 1994 and gave it to my daughter. My reading copies are the hardback 2nd American editions, with all the maps I needed.

I bought the 50th ed. you speak of. There are no maps in this one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:27 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Strider wrote:
GKC wrote:
Strider wrote:

One needs maps. I used to copy the ones in the 2nd edition.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:32 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: RCIA(ish)
I didnt read Lord of the Rings until I was late in my 20's. I was very biased against it from the get go as my only exposure was the movies. The films left a bad taste in my mouth and made little sense. I only read it because I was bored at the time and I heard Tolkien was a friend of CS Lewis (who I was knee deep into reading at the time). I found Lord of the Rings to be perhaps my favorite book and I would say probably the work of fiction that has most impacted and changed me as a person (and in some ways it subconsciously opened up my imagination to a Catholic way of thinking, but that is a story for another time).

But I think the most helpful advice has already been given: read it a few times.

Also, consider reading the Hobbit and Silmarillion if you find yourself wanting more.

Oh, and try to forget a lot of things from the movies. :)

I have Fonstad's Atlas of Middle Earth. I liked it and it helped me but I really like maps in general, so that could be why. I found it most helpful in giving me a visual and condensed introduction to the vast pre-history before the events of Lord of the Rings (most which is covered in the Silmarillion). It helped me to keep straight the regions belonging to elves and dwarves, understand just where Numenor was, and helped me to understand differences between elven places like Rivendell from Lothlorien from Mithlond. But so I understand she makes some interpretive decisions in her cartography (you can read more detailed reviews of the book online that may touch this). Basically if you like maps and you find yourself really wanting to know more about the larger lore and lands of Middle Earth and would benefit from a visual aid then the atlas is helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:37 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Great literature is worth reading more than once.

I too took a long time (years) to "get into it," but once I did I found another world. I have skipped around, reading chapters out of order and reacquainting myself with it several times.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:10 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

TreeBeard wrote:

I too took a long time (years) to "get into it," but once I did I found another world. I have skipped around, reading chapters out of order and reacquainting myself with it several times.

I read it first, retro style, in the mid 60s, when the pirated Ace pbs were the only thing around. I turned to it throughout my AF career, as a tension reliever. I think I've read it around 10 times.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:35 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
I was introduced to Tolkien in college. My roommate was reading The Hobbit and recommended it to me. I read the first 20 pages or so, but could not get interested in it at the time. I put it aside for a long while. My loss.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:40 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

GKC wrote:
Strider wrote:
GKC wrote:
Strider wrote:

One needs maps. I used to copy the ones in the 2nd edition.

I think I will purchase Fonstads Atlas. It looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:53 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

GKC wrote:
TreeBeard wrote:

I read it first, retro style, in the mid 60s, when the pirated Ace pbs were the only thing around. I turned to it throughout my AF career, as a tension reliever. I think I've read it around 10 times.

I think the reasons you partly read it was the reason Tolkien wrote it (at least the beginnings of the story)...while he was in the middle of war, serving.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:01 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
bumble wrote:
The films left a bad taste in my mouth and made little sense.

Because they are shite.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:02 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
I read it about once per year, so I have probably read it 30+ times.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:01 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Strider wrote:
GKC wrote:
TreeBeard wrote:

I think the reasons you partly read it was the reason Tolkien wrote it (at least the beginnings of the story)...while he was in the middle of war, serving.

I suspect he was more tense than I.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:02 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Peregrinator wrote:
I read it about once per year, so I have probably read it 30+ times.

:salut:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:28 am 
Citizen
Citizen

GKC wrote:
Strider wrote:

Just recently bought the Atlas you recommended. Can't wait.

I'd like to try and find a good artwork book too, other than maps, that illustrate the events throughout lotr. My guess is there are none...good ones, that is...well, I did not see any on amazon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:05 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Strider wrote:
GKC wrote:
Strider wrote:

Just recently bought the Atlas you recommended. Can't wait.

I'd like to try and find a good artwork book too, other than maps, that illustrate the events throughout lotr. My guess is there are none...good ones, that is...well, I did not see any on amazon.

Hope you like it.

I've never found any good systematic books illustrating the events, though my Tolkien collection is extensive and I would be happy to find such. For years I bought Tolkien calendars, if the artwork was good, and somewhere in my boxed books are maybe 20 years of them, often with illustrations that did just this sort of thing. I was fond of (most) of the work of the Hildebrandt brothers in their 76-78 ones. Was using somebody's 1973 calendar, and got to mark my daughter's birth in August and Tolkien's passing in Sep.

There are concept art books from the various LOTR movies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 am 
There Can Be Only One

Read The Hobbit first. It has a different tone, but it is essential to creating the LOTR world and introducing you to a small part of it.

Then, just read LOTR. Go along for the ride.

I liked the movies, but they are different in many ways than the book. I sat in the theatre and drank in the world and the special effects and didn't get too involved in the plot or action. Loved Laketown. And, of course, the Shire.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:20 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
Read The Hobbit first. It has a different tone, but it is essential to creating the LOTR world and introducing you to a small part of it.

Then, just read LOTR. Go along for the ride.

I liked the movies, but they are different in many ways than the book. I sat in the theatre and drank in the world and the special effects and didn't get too involved in the plot or action. Loved Laketown. And, of course, the Shire.

Speak softly, here, of those.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 4   [ 62 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next