Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: We need more good book reviews by Catholics
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:41 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
As the web increases in size and power, and booksellers and publishers struggle, the need is increasing for Catholic voices to express both recommendation and disapproval of new and old books, whether or not they have appeared in print or just ether. Although I'll be the first to admit that the profit motive is high for most booksellers, nevertheless they tended to be a reasonably effective source of quality and fact check for erstwhile authors, because most booksellers can't afford to invest in the publication of nonsense or deceit (at least when they though it couldn't make a profit). Obviously, the web has no quality control whatsoever, unless righteous people will speak out against both deceit and ignorance.
As I wander in search of meaningful book reviews, it seems the vast majority are by non-Catholics, even on the subjects of religion, history, and philosophy. When I search Amazon, Goodreads, even LibraryThing.com, which I think is best, there are very few Catholic voices. I pray to encourage readers to express the support and recommendation of quality writing, and disapproval of error and deceit.
May I add, on the subject of profits, and capitalism, I believe freedom to earn and spend freely is the greatest and most tangible freedom, greater by far than the freedom to spread deceit, threats, and fraud, which I think we are obliged as Catholics to oppose.

Post subject: Re: We need more good book reviews by Catholics
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:49 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

How to kill a thread in a few short sentences :twisted:. Observe . . .

My novels could use more good book reviews by Catholics and otherwise. If you're willing. :wave.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:21 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I thought I was the thread killer supreme. I tip my hat to you. I'm in a phase where I'm dismayed about how little history I know --of all sorts: Church, natural, culture, science , et al and just can't keep my nose in fiction; despite or even possibly due to my BA in Eng Lit.
Nevertheless, I greatly admire your ambition and effort and extend best wishes, especially if you'd toss up a non-fiction review every now and again, just for fun and practice.
Would anyone comment on where they look for good Catholic non-fiction reviews? -- other than NYT-against my religion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:28 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
First Things, though I think the quality of their book reviews has gone down lately, and of course not all the reviewers are Catholic.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:26 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Thank you, Fr O.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic