Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Book recomendation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:40 am 

Religion: Catholic
Hello!
This is my first post here, so I hope I'm posting in the right place. My daughter is dating a young man who was brought up Lutheran, but hasn't practiced his faith in several years. He seems to not have a lot of even base knowledge and, while not hostile to Catholicism in any way, also doesn't seem interested. He's very nice, and they seem to get along very well, but knowing that we live our faith and it is an integral part of our lives, she knows this is going to become an issue if things continue, and she is struggling with how to handle this all.

I was thinking of getting a book for him for Christmas - something that gives a light overview to Catholicism, and is maybe even a little humorous - like, "how to survive dating a catholic," kind of thing. I looked at Catholicism for Dummies, and The Catholicism Answer Book, and both seem really well written, but they are also not light reading by any stretch. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks, Jen

Post subject: Re: Book recomendation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:23 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Welcome to the board.

I don't have any recommendations lighter than the ones you mentioned, but just wanted to say — "Welcome."

If you don't find a book that exactly fits what you are looking for, I would just give him something short to read. Your local Catholic book store might have a section of pamphlets on various topics. (Although pamphlets aren't really Christmas gifts!) Whatever you decide is good-reading make sure you and your daughter read it before giving it to him.

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:21 am 
Corporate Minion Moderator

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
While it's not a book on dating a Catholic, I can recommend a trio of light, easy-to-read "Catholic 101" booklets. They're written by Gus Lloyd, a Catholic layman who hosts a talk show on The Catholic Channel on Sirius/XM. They are called A Minute in the Church, A Minute in the Church, Volume II, and A Minute in the Church: The Mass. You can purchase all three for $10 here: https://guslloyd.com/store/books/a-minute-in-the-church-volumes-i-ii-iii.html

Each one was written with the intent of being a 60-second Public Service Announcement on Catholic radio. You won't find deep theological histories or meanings here, but you will read things that make you say "so THAT'S why we do [fill in the blank]." It's a good way to introduce someone in a low-key manner to the Catholic faith.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:08 pm 

Thank you so much! Those books look like they are perfect! I ordered two sets!!

God bless, Jen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:55 pm 

Religion: Finally Catholic!
Church Affiliations: Legion of Mary, SVdP
Cool! Let me know how you like it. Only Volume I was available when I was in RCIA; still, I found it to be very helpful.

Commit to the Image

formerly "ghall512"--Thanks for the idea, arkcatholic! :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:43 pm 

Someone on another board also recommended, "How Come? Catholic Apologetics for Cajuns." It looks really fun, and I ended up ordering that too. Just figured I'd share in case someone else is interested.

Thanks, Jen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:21 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

A short, 140 p book, is fairly light reading, which I think would offer a wonderful perspective for both you and your daughter, although it might be a bit too direct at this stage for her friend, There We Stood, Here We Stand. by Timothy Drake, tells the conversion stories of eleven Lutherans to Catholicism, including his own.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:51 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Peter Kreeft's "Jesus Shock". If I could, I would give this book to every young person who crosses my path. It is that good.