Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Mystical City of God
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:46 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
This first volume has simply floored me. The first words, as introduction to the work is:

The Mystical City of God, the Divine History and Life of the Virgin Mother of God, manifested to Mary of Agreda for the encouragement of men.

There are 4 volumes to this work and each is approx 500 pages. I'm only on the first half of the first volume but the reading has been absolutely flawless in it's portrayal of Mary and the Trinity. I have to read it like it's a conversation, really taking my time to ingest all it has to offer. speed reading is impossible ... any more than I could The Dark Night of the Soul.

The description of Mary and who, in real life, she is and was to the Father - Son and Holy Spirit, the inter-relational awareness of the complexity of those relationships with God and their effects on the rest of mankind is phenomenal. It will be a while before I finish the entire set but am anxiously, perhaps better said eagerly devouring the material.

It would not be an understatement to tell you what you think you know of the Virgin Mary is only a scratch on the surface of Her actuality in both our world and the next. Her "hidden-ess" in the NT is well deserved and required for our spiritual effect of the message of the Gospel.

Has anyone else completed these volumes and, if so, what are your thoughts on the work ?

Post subject: Re: The Mystical City of God
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:07 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Be aware that they are private revelation with a checkered history. Read it as meditations if you like, but be very cautious in thinking you are getting actual details of Our Lady's life.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:43 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

absolutely father... private revelation is never going to be as sure a sign as public, but i thought that, before i read, and was surprised that the checkered history was more in line with misinterpretations rather than spiritual content. I do not know exactly what was misinterpreted but it was good enough for a short membership of the "books of the banned" club before again being approved for reading without recourse to bad theology along with (via) 2 imprimaturs.

If you've read any of this material father, you know why it was necessary, for me, to find what those who are in the know on such subject material was sought after. i mean, Obi Wan, what and how this work is describing Mary and Her entire existence, pre birth to the end is brain thumping ... yes ?

I also found this ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5blDl-AeUCk which also relieved a little bit the worry of reading.

Last edited by Essential Sacrifice on Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:46 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Church Affiliations: 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus
i have not read the 4 volumes but i have read one of the abridged editions

the history of the world leading up to the Immaculate Conception of our Mother was a little slow and tedious for me .... the rest of it i enjoyed immensely.... i do have the 4 volumes to read , compliments of my wife for a present of some sort, but that hasn't happened yet

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:58 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

exactly how i got my volumes presented FS, via wife's library. I am pushing to actually read all but it ain't easy reading !

I think father's use for meditation is an excellent offering ... I also think others will agree, with only minimal reading. This is definitely spiritual exercise literature that compels thought well beyond anything I have previously found on Mary and the early NT times and players.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:11 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

when you finish with Venerable Mary of Agreda's account, mosey on over to Blessed Catherine Emmerich's account of our Blessed Mother's life

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:00 am 
Citizen
Citizen

Quote:
mosey on over to Blessed Catherine Emmerich's account of our Blessed Mother's life

when reading of the misinterpretations of Agreda, Emmerich's works were similarily discussed as, in the same boat. Obi is obviously quite right in regards to private revelation, but reading this type of literature is, for some reason, very interesting ... intriguing to me. I am drawn to the personal quality of the writing that extends beyond where most are comfortable, ( I think ?) but as I see it, are most valuable especially when taken in conjunction and comparison to /with what we already know to be absolutely true ... in the Word of God ... the bible.

the lines of distinction are replete with borders of clarity with the Word and more fuzzy with private revelation. Perhaps this is why I am drawn ... because a bigger picture is provided with both sets of information in combination.

Agreda. Emmerich, Valtorta ... many others have strengthened and deepened my faith, and, as Obi has said, for me at least, more in a meditative exercise that dovetails so jointly with the Word.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:38 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

FS, wife went out and bought me "The Dolorous Passion" by C. Emmerich. She did so after I told her of our conversation w / you in here. I guess it had an inspirational hand in The Passion of Christ.
I am really looking forward to the read ! Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:45 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

i enjoyed emmerich's books very much 8-)

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:23 pm 
Our Lady's Gladiator
Our Lady's Gladiator

Essential Sacrifice wrote:
FS, wife went out and bought me "The Dolorous Passion" by C. Emmerich. She did so after I told her of our conversation w / you in here. I guess it had an inspirational hand in The Passion of Christ.
I am really looking forward to the read ! Thanks.

i predict once you read 'the dolorous passion' , you will want to dive into

De Maria numquam satis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:54 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I hate to be Father Critical, but Valtorta's work is under a cloud that still has not lifted and shoud be treated with the utmost caution. I mention this in particular because I never know who's reading and not commenting that might need to know. https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/poem_of_the_man.htm
and
http://www.ewtn.com/library/SCRIPTUR/VALTORTA.TXT

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:34 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Quote:
but Valtorta's work is under a cloud that still has not lifted
ago)
I'm sorry father, but this quote to be incorrect... there is ample evidence of acceptance, (well ahead of EWTN's article of 20 years ago) and their enthusiastic response and encouragement.
http://www.valtorta.org/the_poem__revie ... tiques.asp ... far more current and many more positive responses.

A fructibus eorum cognoscetis eos. By their fruits you shall know them.

Quote:
I mention this in particular because I never know who's reading and not commenting that might need to know

Caution is always advised, especially within personal revelation but I believe this* to be every bit, if not more important, as your disclaimer...

Quote:
It is the content of a “private revelation” granted to a humble Augustinian nun (Catherine Emmerich) with the gift of mystical vision, ranking second only to sacred scripture and sacred tradition, and along side Mary of Agreda’s Mystical City of God, as an authoritative account of the Passion and death of Christ.

All ages, including her own, (C. Emmerich’s) have been skeptical of such experiences. Nevertheless, they continue to occur in every generation, and in nearly every religious tradition. Perhaps such contemporary examples as Medjugorje, mother Teresa of Calcutta and the holy Capuchin Solanus Casey, to name just a few, as well as the historic testimony of the Venerable Anne Catherine Emmerich, *will encourage doubtful readers to acknowledge the possibility of an active and benevolent divine presence in the world.

Jon Strohmeier,
forward; The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:57 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

First: "By their fruits" is not the first test of the authenticity of an alleged supernatural event. God is perfectly able to bring bad from good, especially in someone who is truly inclined to charity and humility. The bad is not to be sought out for this (or any other reason), but if a person can draw good from it, he turns the devil's weapon against him.

Second: Medjugorje is (as you know) not without controversy and scarcely to be invoked as a guide to another controversy.

Third: one can believe (as I do) that there is an active and benevolent divine presence while remaining skeptical about some purported manifestations of it.

Fourth: Nearly every alleged revelation has its supporters, even among the clergy, even after it has received formal disapproval.

Fifth: The book was placed on the Index in an order signed by Pope John XXIII. The Index has not lost its moral force.

I can only second Fr. Pacwa's advice and leave it at that:
Fr. Mitch Pacwa wrote:
When Catholics insist on reading "Poem," despite Church condemnation, I make these requests: First, read three hours of Scripture for every one hour spent in the "Poem." The Church guarantees that the Bible is God's Word, inspired by the Holy Spirit. The Church has judged the "Poem" to be a poorly done human work. Second, read solid Catholic theology books in addition to Scripture. G.K. Chesterton, Frank Sheed, Archbishop Sheen's "Life of Christ" and many other works are excellent starts. Third, maintain a strong prayer life, drawing closer to Christ Jesus, Our Lord, at Mass and at eucharistic adoration, and to our Blessed Mother Mary, especially in the Rosary.

If sheep insist on bad pasturage, at least let them take antidotes.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:03 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
First: "By their fruits" is not the first test of the authenticity of an alleged supernatural event. God is perfectly able to bring bad from good, especially in.... ]

Did you mean "good from bad"?

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:15 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes. Thank you.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:47 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Syro Malabar Christian
Sigh. I thought it was an opportunity to learn something new about God, good and evil. :wave

"May our tongues proclaim Your truth. May Your Cross be a protection for us as we let our tongues be turned into new harps and sing hymns with fiery lips"

-From the introduction to Our Father, "On the feasts of the Lord and other important feasts", Syro Malabar rite