Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Quite the book. The book (so far... half way through) is 'parting thoughts' that a pastor (who is dying) is leaving for his 7 year old son.

The narrator is a John Ames, a Christian pastor. He's older. I'm not sure how old but he's dying from a heart condition. Still healthy enough to live with his wife (Lila) and son. His wife is in her early 40s. This is John's 2nd attempt at a family, since when he was younger he had a wife (Louisa) and a daughter (Rebecca) who both died during childbirth (or very shortly after for Rebecca).

John was much older when he met Lila and then had a child with her (the 7 year old boy mentioned above).

It's very touching... beautifully written.
here's a blurb from the book that I really like (it was also a liked blurb from the Catholic writers blog: Korrektiv):

Quote:
There’s a shimmer on a child’s hair, in the sunlight. There are rainbow colors in it, tiny, soft beams of just the same colors you can see in the dew sometimes. They’re in the petals of flowers, and they’re on a child’s skin. Your hair is straight and dark, and your skin is very fair. I suppose you’re not prettier than most children. You’re just a nice-looking boy, a bit slight, well scrubbed and well mannered. All that is fine, but it’s your existence I love you for, mainly. Existence seems to me now the most remarkable thing that could ever be imagined. I’m about to put on imperishability. In an instant, in the twinkling of an eye.

The twinkling of an eye. That is the most wonderful expression. I’ve thought from time to time it was the best thing in life, that little incandescence you see in people when the charm of a thing strikes them, or the humor of it. “The light of the eyes rejoiceth the heart.” That’s a fact.

While you read this, I am imperishable, somehow more alive than I have ever been, in the strenght of my youth, with dear ones beside me. You read the dreams of an anxious, fuddled old man, and I live in a light better than any dream of mine – not waiting for you, though, because I want your dear perishable self to live long and to love this poor perishable world, which I somehow cannot imagine not missing bitterly, even while I do long to see what it will mean to have wife and child restored to me, I mean Louisa and Rebecca. I have wondered about that for many years. Well, this old seed is about to drop into the ground. Then I’ll know.

Looking forward to reading other works by her.

Post subject: Re: "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:34 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
Just finished it today and I loved it.
If I were to make a top 5 fiction novels list.... this book would be in it.
Picked up her book "Housekeeping" today.