Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 22 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: "Handful of Dust" - Evelyn Waugh
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:46 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

gherkin wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Tried Waugh once. Just couldn't connect.

Why do you feel he is great?

I don't know how to answer that apart from saying I couldn't really answer it about Dickens, either.

GKC wrote:
When I was a boy I could not understand why the Dickensians worried so wearily about Dickens, about where he went to school and where he ate his dinners, about how he wore his trousers and when he cut his hair. I used to wonder why they did not write something that I could read about a man like Micawber. But I have come to the conclusion that this almost hysterical worship of the man, combined with a comparatively feeble criticism on his works, is just and natural. Dickens was a man like ourselves; we can see where he went wrong, and study him without being stunned or getting the sunstroke. But Micawber is not a man; Micawber is the superman. We can only walk round and round him wondering what we shall say. All the critics of Dickens, when all is said and done, have only walked round and round Micawber wondering what they should say. I am myself at this moment walking round and round Micawber wondering what I shall say. And I have not found out yet.

CRITICISMS AND APPRECIATIONS (or APPRECIATIONS AND CRITICISMS) OF THE WORKS OF CHARLES DICKENS, London, J. P. Dent, 1911, 1st English edition, chap. XIII, p. 139.

I had forgotten I had written that.

And the sea rises higher."

Post subject: Re: "Handful of Dust" - Evelyn Waugh
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:22 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Highlander wrote:
gherkin wrote:
I don't know if I have a view on that, but it sounds good to me.
Of course it sounds good. I was hoping for stupendous, but I'll take good.

Hey, that line was in my wedding vows!

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 22 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2