Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: catholicphilosophy.com
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:48 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
This may be a non-post, as someone referred to one of my recent posts. But I hope it might be of interest and useful to some members that the Trilogy by Xavier Zubiri (Man and God, History of Religion, Christianity) is available free at the site on the subject line, and I'm wondering whether Zubri hasn't made one of the best efforts to enunciate at least some portions of a Catholic philosophy.
Many of Zubiri's writings are included in this site, and I'd be grateful for comments on his work. It's all in English.
I hope this isn't a non-post--I don't know what that means--or if I care. But the comment did put a kabash on conversation.

Last edited by eschator83 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: catholicphilosophy.com
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:46 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

eschator83 wrote:
This may be a non-post, as someone referred to one of my recent posts. But I hope it might be of interest and useful to some members that the Trilogy by Xavier Zubri (Man and God, History of Religion, Christianity) is available free at the site on the subject line, and I'm wondering whether Zubri hasn't made one of the best efforts to enunciate at least some portions of a Catholic philosophy.
Many of Zubri writings are included in this site, and I'd be grateful for comments on his work. It's all in English.
suppose I hope this isn't a non-post--I don't know what that means--or if I care. But the comment did put a kabash on conversation.

That was my post, in which I used the phrase, that I was referring to. Had no useful comment.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:39 am 
Criminally Insane Cucumber
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
At one point, I thought I might try to read a bunch of Zubiri. Seemed like an interesting and untapped philosophical resource. Like Rosmini. But I never did. So I can't comment on his thought. But I wonder why you'd ask "whether he hasn't made one of the best efforts to enunciate at least some portions of a Catholic philosophy." What prompts the question? Are there specific ideas you have in mind? And to whom are you comparing him?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:48 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Thanks for both comments. I'm sorry for my slow response--I've become very interested in Bl Antonio Rosmini, his Rosminian Congregation, and the Institute of Charity, as well as his philosophic writing. I'm struggling to express my regret that most of my life I've viewed most philosophers as atheists struggling vainly to explain the world in the absence of God, and paid little attention. Since the publication of Fides et Ratio, I've been hoping the Church might encourage a canonizable philosophy, as addition to mere critical discernment. The perseverance of Rosmini's disciples through censure to restoration is laudable, and I'm very grateful you brought my attention to his work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:52 am 
Citizen
Citizen

At www.zubiri.org the North American Zubiri foundation has some glowing comments on his work (expectably, I suppose):
"The creation of a new philosophical system is a staggeringly difficult task, fraught with myriad dangers, pitfalls, and problems. Only one of supreme genius can undertake this enterprise with any expectation of success, and then only when old ways of thought have shown themselves inadequate to cope with the march of human knowledge. It is fortunate that these conditions have been fulfilled in our day and in the person of Xavier Zubiri (1898-1983). No one can say now if this or any future philosophical system will be the definitive one; but Zubiri’s effort is surely the grandest, most boldly and most radically conceived effort to integrate the Western (and to a considerable extent, Eastern) philosophical tradition, the explosive growth of scientific knowledge, and the rich artistic, literary, and cultural traditions of European and world civilization."
Many of his books are accessible and downloadable free. I still hope to encourage readers to explore and comment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:29 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Quote:
old ways of thought have shown themselves inadequate to cope with the march of human knowledge
I am suspicious of this claim.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:03 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Agreed. There is a great CS Lewis quote about the foolish arrogance of modernists presuming that anything newly written must be better than anything old.