Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Miquel Serrano, Jung and Hesse, Record of Two Friendships
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:54 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
I've just finished Miguel Serrano's CG Jung & Hermann Hesse: A Record of Two Friendships; it was a gift from a friend, and particularly interesting to me because I've long thought that Jung made a very sincere effort to seek reconciling links between Catholicism, psychology, and philosophy.
I'm curious if our science fiction buffs see any redeeming values in Hesse's writings, to which I've never paid much attention, or whether both he and Serrano were neck-deep into the crowd trying to bury all Christianity in a fog of pseudo-protestant, feel-good spirituality, whether Eastern or other.
Also, I am trying to decipher Serrano's multiple references both to Aurea Catena (p 71, 112, +?)--(is he referring to St Thomas Aquinas? or just to pagan pseudo-Homerianism?), and also to a Hermetic circle (p2, 24, 25,71, 125+)-- does this refer to sincere searchers for truth or primarily agnostics and/or atheists?

Post subject: Re: Miquel Serrano, Jung and Hesse, Record of Two Friendship
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:35 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

I'm a SF buff, but of little use on this. I read one of Hesse's books in college (Siddhartha, I think) and recall nothing more than it was tedious in the extreme.

As to Aurea Catena, anything to suggest it isn't the Thomistic commentary?

And all but one of my books on esoteric magic (except one on the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn) are packed deep somewhere. But I'd suspect that the reference to Hermetic circles would be to that sort of thing, as found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeticism

or here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_esotericism

I think this is a non-post.

And the sea rises higher."