Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: T Bokenkotter's History of the Catholic Church
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:02 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
Bokenkotter begins his history almost evangelically, with a brief life of our Lord Jesus, except he seems determined to communicate more about what he finds unbelievable in the Gospels rather than what he believes. He seems rushing to get to his political views; his index lists 93 references to liberalism, and then he repeats most of them in his index listings by country. By contrast he has only 37 references to Jesus, five to Church, and seven to Catholic topics.
Anybody want to discuss this book?

Post subject: Re: T Bokenkotter's History of the Catholic Church
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:07 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
The only discussion I have of it is that it is a waste of your time to read it. As you have surmised, it is a lot more about his politics than the Church. Here, let me summarize it for you:

1) First few centuries of the Church, as creatively reimagined by the best outdated scholars: Good.
2) Everything else before Vatican II, but especially after Trent, and with maybe the exception of St. Francis or something: Awful.
3) Vatican II: The best thing that ever happened, even if the parts he likes best are parts that didn't actually happen.

See? I just saved you several hours. You're welcome. I just wish you'd asked sooner so I could have saved you the money, too.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:28 am 
Citizen
Citizen

The Bokenkotter book was a gift, years ago--after a very brief scan, I've been trying to ignore it. But now I find it as the only Catholic history book on the shelves of the bookstore at our local Catholic college. I'm wondering why, and whether I'm going to express concern to someone. Isn't there a new and better history?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:40 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Some people like Triumph, but I think it goes overboard in the opposite direction from Bokenkotter--it views absolutely everything through as rose-colored glasses as possible, and then some.

There's one by Vidmar that is always on the verge of saying something Bokenkotter-esque but never quite does. I didn't like it either.

James Hitchcock has a recent history that I started but didn't like because he makes significant errors (IMHO) dealing with theology. It's better than Bokenkotter.

Yes, I'm picky.

Need something to read?