Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pulpish stuff for kids
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:04 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Boys, aged 8 and 12.
They have become quite find of John Thunstone, Solomon Kane, Silver John, John Carter, etc as well. They seem to mean more supernatural than sci-fi though. Any thoughts about who else I can delve into here? Thunstone's adventures mention Jules de Grandin a couple of times, but it's been a while since a read those. Don't they trend a bit adult in some cases?

Any other recs? I'm drawing a big fat blank rigt now.

Post subject: Re: Pulpish stuff for kids
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:38 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

HalJordan wrote:
Boys, aged 8 and 12.
They have become quite find of John Thunstone, Solomon Kane, Silver John, John Carter, etc as well. They seem to mean more supernatural than sci-fi though. Any thoughts about who else I can delve into here? Thunstone's adventures mention Jules de Grandin a couple of times, but it's been a while since a read those. Don't they trend a bit adult in some cases?

They have fine literary tastes.

Jules de Grandin is a particular favorite of mine, but occasionally a little on the risque edge. Nothing blatant, as I recall, but 8 might be a little young. On the other hand, I'd have thought Solomon Kane might be similar, for that age.

This interest seems to trend toward the psychic detective subgenre, a favorite of mine. I'm off to do some irritating things this morning, but I'll think on it and return. I have my favorites. Meanwhile have they tried the John Bellairs books, and their continuation titles, by Brad Strickland?

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:21 am 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
When I was a kid, I fell in love with Clifford D Simak. I read everything I could get my grubby paws on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:41 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
When I was a kid, I fell in love with Clifford D Simak. I read everything I could get my grubby paws on.

I was at a Halloween party Sat. I had a discussion with a former college prof, whom I had spoken to before, though he didn't remember that. At the previous occasion we had mainly talked Sherlock Holmes. This time, mainly SF. He was very happy to have met Jack Williamson and Clifford Simak, who he said was a very nice man.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:47 am 
Citizen
Citizen

For a couple years around 10-12 I devoured a series of books (bios) about American heros and legends--I vividly remember riding my bike back from the library trying to keep balance with 6 books (the library maximum). At 12 we moved to another state, and the orange-covered books weren't in the new library, so I moved on to other issues. Thinking back, I remember disappointment that my parents showed little interest in my heros and books. I wish that I had found a similar series about the lives of saints, and that my parents or grandparents would have talked about them with me. Thanks for motivating me to look harder for some for my grandkids, although I can't remember seeing much in the bookstores.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:51 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

We did John Bellairs. Never heard of Brad Strickland. I seem to recall some heaving bosom type stuff in the Jules de Grandin tales which is why I was asking about them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:14 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

HalJordan wrote:
Boys, aged 8 and 12.

Continuing. If I have correctly spotted the line you are trying to trace, I got a number of suggestions. Problem would be finding them. I don't know current examples of that sort of stuff, suitable for YA consumption, though I'm sure there are such. I am a collector primarily of more classic things (Well, there is Jim Butcher and Harry Dresden, but we're not going to offer Harry to a 12 year old. Or Simon Green's stuff, or Larry Corriea (Monster Hunter books), either, I think).

You have got a handle on Manley Wade Wellman, obviously, and that's as it should be. My favorite similar is Carnacki, by the incomparable William Hope Hodgson. Dion Fortune had a good series, with her Dr. Taverner, but good luck finding them. A writer who wrote as Jack Mann had a good psychic PI, Gregory Gordon George Green, known as Gees. But again, might be hard to find them. And they are book length stories.

Joseph Payne Brennan's Lucius Leffing is in the vein, but sort of low key. Appears in several books.

I can think of more, and more contemporary examples, but I'd hate to be recommending something not age appropriate. Say. F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series. A favorite of my daughter's. As is the novelizations of the SUPERNATURAL TV show, featuring the 2 brothers and the Brave Impala sedan. Those might be ok. I see there are 37 books currently in that series; someone must be reading them.

Something that might fit, if not quite squarely, would be Randall Garrett's Lord D'Arcy books. Easily a top 10 in my SF pantheon. And continued by various author's after Garrett's untimely death.

I could keep nattering, but....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:19 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

eschator83 wrote:
For a couple years around 10-12 I devoured a series of books (bios) about American heros and legends--I vividly remember riding my bike back from the library trying to keep balance with 6 books (the library maximum). At 12 we moved to another state, and the orange-covered books weren't in the new library, so I moved on to other issues. Thinking back, I remember disappointment that my parents showed little interest in my heros and books. I wish that I had found a similar series about the lives of saints, and that my parents or grandparents would have talked about them with me. Thanks for motivating me to look harder for some for my grandkids, although I can't remember seeing much in the bookstores.

I think I know those orange books well. I have a few copies somewhere in the house. I also did the bike to the library, for a load of summer reading, in the basket. But I had no limit: the librarian was a very old family friend. And I was likely the best patron of the facility, at the time a small 10x10 foot building. There's where I first found and read OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET, around age 10.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:28 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

HalJordan wrote:
We did John Bellairs. Never heard of Brad Strickland. I seem to recall some heaving bosom type stuff in the Jules de Grandin tales which is why I was asking about them.

Search the local bookstore. I think that by now they are appearing under Brad's name. Many of the ones he did came out as by Bellairs.

I first met Brad just as he was starting to write the series. He was at a SF con and introduced himself to the audience by mentioning that he would be doing more of a series and author that most folks likely wouln't have heard of: Bellairs. I quickly set him straight, as to me and my daughter.

Later, he got my daughter, in her Latin magistra mode, to write a Latin spell, for use in one of the books. Which the publisher declined to use, Latin apparently looking too occult. So the same spell appeared in the book in English.

Maybe heaving bosom,damsels in distress, slinky night gown stuff. Wouldn't bother me, at age 12. Not like covers of SPICY DETECTIVE. De Grandin would be my first recommendation, the heaving aside, or the ages more advanced. But caution is appropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:42 pm 
There Can Be Only One

I remember a collection of blue bound books. Someone else, I believe, remembers them in a different color. He is wrong.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:48 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
I remember a collection of blue bound books. Someone else, I believe, remembers them in a different color. He is wrong.

Orange. I could slap you on top of the head with one, next time you visit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:51 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
8 and 12?

The perfect ages for the swashbuckler genre, The Three Musketeers, The Prisoner of Zenda, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Zorro, maybe even The Count of Monte Cristo, although that one is not really a 'swashbuckler" it is a great adventure story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:23 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
8 and 12?

The perfect ages for the swashbuckler genre, The Three Musketeers, The Prisoner of Zenda, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Zorro, maybe even The Count of Monte Cristo, although that one is not really a 'swashbuckler" it is a great adventure story.

True. But the OP suggests another path.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:24 pm 
There Can Be Only One

GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Orange. I could slap you on top of the head with one, next time you visit.

I have on my shelves, at this moment, two sets of said books. One in noble blue; the other in inglorious orange. The blue one, which I am sure has a grant of imprimatur and nihil obstat, is in an honored position, easily accessible and often consulted. The bilious orange, on the other hand, is placed low -- appropriately so -- and is there only in case a comet strikes the earth and all the proper blue copies have been destroyed. Or if I need to start a fire.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:17 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Much obliged all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:29 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

HalJordan wrote:
Much obliged all.

Don't get the blue ones.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:31 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
8 and 12?

I don't take direction well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:38 pm 
There Can Be Only One

GKC wrote:
HalJordan wrote:
Much obliged all.

Don't get the blue ones.
You're a daisy if you do.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:29 pm 
The Exterminator

Religion: Númenórean Catholic
I mostly played outside at that age, but I know I read Hank the Cowdog. The Hobbit I read about that age as well. Silent Planet and Perelandra about then also. And Narnia. Maybe some others.

- Justice Scalia, dissent, King v. Burwell.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:44 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
GKC wrote:
Doom wrote:
8 and 12?

I don't take direction well.

I run with my strong suits. Given an opening.

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next