Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I published two ebooks: 1 of saints and 1 of mystries
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:02 pm 

Religion: Catholic
I fancy myself a writer and to that end I have published a couple ebooks.

Last fall, I published a collection of noir detective stories entitle Trouble is My Client

This Easter I published a collection of short saint biographies entitled Church Triumphant: 25 Men and Women who Gave Their Lives to Christ

These links are for Amazon, but these books are available at your major ebook retailer.

I haven't had much luck selling very many. I hope someone here will find them interesting.

Post subject: Re: I published two ebooks: 1 of saints and 1 of mystries
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:53 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Congratulations on your efforts and stamina, and best wishes for an expanding reception of your books. I have several book drafts in process and have made a few contacts with publishing options. Would you suggest any do's and don'ts?
I'm not buying many books because as a result of my nearly 25 years' involvement in RCIA and SCC teams, I've received gifts of several thousand books, many of which were given to me for some particular purpose (although I may not know what), and all of which I feel an obligation to read or at least review. But I love books on Saints, and have drafted one myself. Could you encourage us with a comment on how you selected your 25 saints (most imortant contributions? or?) and are your bios written differently than others? Have you considered posting a review or comment in Goodreads? I'll peak at Amazon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:06 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

FYI- the Amazon options for a free sample and to look inside the book (Saints) aren't working at the moment (or IE can't connect?). I'll try again later.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:32 am 

eschator83 wrote:
FYI- the Amazon options for a free sample and to look inside the book (Saints) aren't working at the moment (or IE can't connect?). I'll try again later.

I just tried it and it is work for me. But then I'm using Chrome. Maybe IE is the problem. Thanks for taking the time to look at my books. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:00 pm 

eschator83 wrote:
Congratulations on your efforts and stamina, and best wishes for an expanding reception of your books. I have several book drafts in process and have made a few contacts with publishing options. Would you suggest any do's and don'ts?
I'm not buying many books because as a result of my nearly 25 years' involvement in RCIA and SCC teams, I've received gifts of several thousand books, many of which were given to me for some particular purpose (although I may not know what), and all of which I feel an obligation to read or at least review. But I love books on Saints, and have drafted one myself. Could you encourage us with a comment on how you selected your 25 saints (most important contributions? or?) and are your bios written differently than others? Have you considered posting a review or comment in Goodreads? I'll peek at Amazon.

I originally wrote saint biographies for my parish's bulletin, but the DRE started writing a weekly column so there was no room. Then this past Lent, I decided that I would compile my saint bios into an ebook. I picked saints that were recently canonized (or beatified) or that people were not familiar with. I also picked a couple saints I like. The bios were written so that busy people would learn about a saint without making to read a whole book.

Do you mean post my own reviews to Goodreads? I don't think I can do that.

I'll try and post a list of does and don'ts later. There should be a writing group on this forum! :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:11 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Many thanks for motivation to try getting sample on Kindle. This time it worked fine this time--on IE--and I greatly enjoyed your life of Bl Charles of Austria, which is deeply inspiring.
I must admit I'm essentially phobic about buying on-line--but I'm very tempted by your sample, and am now off to try to find your "gift horse." Also, I like the title "Trouble Is My Client;" is that also an e-book and is there a sample available?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:03 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Hi JPW, how are you?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:13 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

I know this isn't really a chat format, but I see you listed a being in this thread, and I'd like to hear more about how your e-books are doing. I've spent hours dreaming of getting a book together, but probably. and foolishly, less time actually trying to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:25 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

eschator83 wrote:

Hi eschator83. I have a few novels on Amazon and other places. It doesn't look like we're into the the same kind of books, but I might be able to help you with questions about the self-publishing process. Feel free to PM me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:30 am 

eschator83 wrote:
I know this isn't really a chat format, but I see you listed a being in this thread, and I'd like to hear more about how your e-books are doing. I've spent hours dreaming of getting a book together, but probably. and foolishly, less time actually trying to do it.

Well, self-publishing an ebook is rather easy. You have to:

1. Write your content
2. Get feedback from several people on your manuscript
3. Have an editor look at it
4. Purchase a cover (I usually got mine from Fiverr for $5. You can also hire an editor there.)
5. Upload your finished product to an ebook distribution site like Smashwords or Draft2Digital. (you have to upload to Amazon separately.)

If you follow these steps, you will become a published author. Then the work begins because your have to spend a lot of time marketing your book to get people to buy it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:09 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
eschator83 wrote:

Are you familiar with the Catholic Writer's Guild? www.catholicwritersguild.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:13 pm 

eschator83 wrote:
Hi JPW, how are you?

H, :wave

Not too bad. Sorry, I don't reply sooner. :( Been busy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:31 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

I'm an OTR collector myself. , likewise mystery (not exclusively or even heavily noir/PI).

Ebooks, not at all, though. Would have looked at a print version of these.

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:52 pm 

GKC wrote:
Would have looked at a print version of these.

My book on the Saints was available as a paperback, but the company that I had it listed through stopped supporting paperbacks. I've been meaning to resubmit it to CreateSpace, but haven't had a chance to.