Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Catholic Intellectual Life in America
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:01 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Religion: Catholic
This ambitiously titled book by Margaret Meher, the head of the Religion department at Cabrini College, PA, is one of six volumes authorized by NCCB in celebration of the Church's bicentennial of the appointment of the first US Catholic Bishop, John Carroll of Baltimore.
I'm nearly finished, also reading back and forth in McSorley's Outline History of the Church (see other thread) looking for similarities and differences. It's interesting how McSorley tries so consistently to be non-partisan in discussing heterodoxy, whereas Meher is so outspokenly partisan.
Meher celebrates the careers, so to speak, of Orestes Brownson, Isaac Hecker (to whom she refers as an American St Paul), and others that my RCIA class ignored entirely. I'm hoping others will discuss the values and lessons here.

Post subject: Re: Catholic Intellectual Life in America
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:19 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Brownson and Hecker are tricky figures to handle. I wouldn't cover them in RCIA either.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:44 pm 
Citizen
Citizen

Sorry, Reher is the last name of the author of CILA. The book seems more a bad collection of quotes, maxims, and sophisms from other sources than a real book. It's six chapters seem odd:
1-1780-1830 Enlightenment and Episcopal Leadership
2-1830-1850 Romanticism: Brownson and Hecker
3-1850-1880 Hecker
4-1880-1900 Catholic University of America and Americanism
5-1920-1985 The path to pluralism
Enlightenment, romanticism, liberalism, humanism, progressivism, transformationism, pluralism, all seem virtually meaningless generalizations that do little more than sound nice and raise the spirits of those who wave them as banners of superiority.
I've reached the last page: "Within the Catholic Church there is pain and frustration. Some of the frustration is born of the desire, typically American, for a quick solution to complex and time-conditioned problems; other problems are rooted in the Church's failure to develop a full theology of Christian freedom for all its members." Reher doesn't capitalize Church.
Does this seem helpful? I'm absolutely not encouraging anyone to read this book, but I am curious who liked it and why?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:29 am 
Citizen
Citizen

I'm now nearly half-way into Patterns of Episcopal Leadership, edited by Gerald Fogerty, SJ, my second book in the 6-volume series Bicentennial History of the Catholic Church in America, and I'm pleased to find it is very different in tone and structure than the Reher book on Catholic Intellectual Life. The 14 Chapters discuss 16 American Bishops, written by 14 contributors, and are quite interesting; I may be encouraged to look for some of the other books in this series.
If anyone has interest in discussing this Leadership book, or will comment on any of the other four books in the series, let's open a new thread.