Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 65 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Are Paperbacks Disappearing?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:49 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
... Acres of Books in Long Beach, for tons of stuff.

Once took Highlander to shop for books along Hollywood Blvd. He likely has forgotten that.

I do remember Acres of Books. There was such a mass (in the physics sense) of books on shelves from floor to ceiling and from floor to floor in the building, that I feared an imminent collapse. But did get a volume of Kipling, which I still have.

GKC wept twice during the visit. Once from joy whilst standing in the middle of the emporium and once from grief when we left. But he is pretty much a literary cry baby.
...the Mandalay edition of the collected Kipling, found by climbing up the shelving about 8 feet.

Was your Kipling bound in a dark purplish maroon, with a faded paper label on the spine? If so, I wondered where it had gone.

But the crying was accurate. And I well remember your determination, at the sight of such riches, to learn to read.

Completely forgotten Hollywood Blvd, eh? Even Pickwick Books, across the street from Frederick's of Hollywood?
In order.

Yes, you did relate your tale of climbing the stacks. I instantaneously chose not to attempt a similar mountaineering feat. The stability of the shelving, the height of the stacks, the density of the volumes, and the extremely narrow aisles -- like a Utah slot canyon, all combined to convince me that even a smidgen of a California earthquake -- say -0.1 on the Richter scale -- would result in me being crushed immediately. Or worse, trapped underneath tons of books, unable to read them, until I expired from thirst. And worse than that, trapped with you. And I was sure a fire would then break out. There was enough paper in Acres of Books to result in a domestic Dresden.

No, my Kipling was in a rather cheapish volume. Yours, I'm sure, is buried somewhere in your second garage. Or first. Or first storage shed.

I did learn to read, with much assistance from you. In particular, those picture books in the upper levels of Pickwick helped immensely. Some words but lots of pictures of athletic young women. I left you perusing them while I searched the Holmes pastiches, of which I purchased two or three. And I recollect walking past another book store which had Stephen Donaldson on display in the front window. New hardbacks were out of my price range, so I could only place my nose on the window and gaze longingly at them, whilst the transvestites strolled by. I think that, while I was doing that, you were across the street at Frederick's, but I'm not sure.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
... Acres of Books in Long Beach, for tons of stuff.

Once took Highlander to shop for books along Hollywood Blvd. He likely has forgotten that.

I do remember Acres of Books. There was such a mass (in the physics sense) of books on shelves from floor to ceiling and from floor to floor in the building, that I feared an imminent collapse. But did get a volume of Kipling, which I still have.

GKC wept twice during the visit. Once from joy whilst standing in the middle of the emporium and once from grief when we left. But he is pretty much a literary cry baby.
...the Mandalay edition of the collected Kipling, found by climbing up the shelving about 8 feet.

Was your Kipling bound in a dark purplish maroon, with a faded paper label on the spine? If so, I wondered where it had gone.

But the crying was accurate. And I well remember your determination, at the sight of such riches, to learn to read.

Completely forgotten Hollywood Blvd, eh? Even Pickwick Books, across the street from Frederick's of Hollywood?
In order.

Yes, you did relate your tale of climbing the stacks. I instantaneously chose not to attempt a similar mountaineering feat. The stability of the shelving, the height of the stacks, the density of the volumes, and the extremely narrow aisles -- like a Utah slot canyon, all combined to convince me that even a smidgen of a California earthquake -- say -0.1 on the Richter scale -- would result in me being crushed immediately. Or worse, trapped underneath tons of books, unable to read them, until I expired from thirst. And worse than that, trapped with you. And I was sure a fire would then break out. There was enough paper in Acres of Books to result in a domestic Dresden.

No, my Kipling was in a rather cheapish volume. Yours, I'm sure, is buried somewhere in your second garage. Or first. Or first storage shed.

I did learn to read, with much assistance from you. In particular, those picture books in the upper levels of Pickwick helped immensely. Some words but lots of pictures of athletic young women. I left you perusing them while I searched the Holmes pastiches, of which I purchased two or three. And I recollect walking past another book store which had Stephen Donaldson on display in the front window. New hardbacks were out of my price range, so I could only place my nose on the window and gaze longingly at them, whilst the transvestites strolled by. I think that, while I was doing that, you were across the street at Frederick's, but I'm not sure.

The Donaldsons were on the first floor of Pickwicks, which was a 3 story building. They were remainders.

Frederick's came later. But you recall more than I thought you would.

The Kipling may be in the attic, at that.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:37 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
GKC wrote:
Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:
GKC and Highlander REALLY need to come to Austin. Between Book People ( http://www.bookpeople.com/ ) and Half Price Books ( http://www.hpb.com/ ) y'all would be in hog heaven! :cloud9:

It's tempting. And since I lived in Wichita Falls, and San Antonio, and found all the local stores, it's not totally terra incognito,

I really miss the southern California scene, from around the 1973-1977 period. Torrance, Long Beach, El Sequndo.

Change of Hobbit, for great SF/fantasy, just north of LAX, Acres of Books in Long Beach, for tons of stuff.

GKC

Late to this thread, but, if you ever get to North West Arkansas, there is a wonderful Art Gallery (Crystal Bridges) and the best used bookstore I've ever been in - Dickson Street Bookshop.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:39 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

I love picking up paperbacks for .50 or $1, but, sadly, my eyesight is worse now and paperback print is toooo small. Cannot spring for tri-focals, so, I am stuck with just staring longingly at my paperbacks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:23 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
GKC wrote:
Future Mrs. Timmy wrote:
GKC and Highlander REALLY need to come to Austin. Between Book People ( http://www.bookpeople.com/ ) and Half Price Books ( http://www.hpb.com/ ) y'all would be in hog heaven! :cloud9:

It's tempting. And since I lived in Wichita Falls, and San Antonio, and found all the local stores, it's not totally terra incognito,

I really miss the southern California scene, from around the 1973-1977 period. Torrance, Long Beach, El Sequndo.

Change of Hobbit, for great SF/fantasy, just north of LAX, Acres of Books in Long Beach, for tons of stuff.

GKC

Late to this thread, but, if you ever get to North West Arkansas, there is a wonderful Art Gallery (Crystal Bridges) and the best used bookstore I've ever been in - Dickson Street Bookshop.

It would be my type of place.

GKC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:24 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

kage_ar wrote:
I love picking up paperbacks for .50 or $1, but, sadly, my eyesight is worse now and paperback print is toooo small. Cannot spring for tri-focals, so, I am stuck with just staring longingly at my paperbacks.

:crying:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:40 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
In that case, audiobooks will help.

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:45 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
GKC wrote:
... I really miss the southern California scene, from around the 1973-1977 period. Torrance, Long Beach, El Sequndo...

I grew up in Gardena! (At the time noted above I was away in the Marines.)

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:47 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

TreeBeard wrote:
GKC wrote:
... I really miss the southern California scene, from around the 1973-1977 period. Torrance, Long Beach, El Sequndo...

I grew up in Gardena! (At the time noted above I was away in the Marines.)

At that time, I was away from home in the Air Force. Lived a little south-west of Gardena, south of Del Amo, when my daughter was born. Worked at Rockwell, at LAX.

GKC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:49 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
Small world. :)

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:54 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Paperbacks still do exist, but as others have said they are not as common. I find that some books I want are only available as e-books or hardbacks. So I have to try to get books through ILL or breakdown and purchase an ebook if it is not available for loan. Also on my job as a librarian I can not obtain as many paperbacks as I did in the past.
As for bookstores in the New York area we only have a few big stores, ie Barnes & Noble and my favorite used bookstore the Strand. And we have a few specialty bookstores, but some of the great bookstores have closed.
Mary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:05 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Oh what the heck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taADLPtyDb0&feature=kp

nar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:42 pm 
Prodigal Son of Thunder
Prodigal Son of Thunder

Religion: Dunedain Catholic
Church Affiliations: AWC, CSB, UIGSE-FSE (FNE)
kage_ar wrote:

You could always take one pair of glasses off and put on a pair of reading glasses (which I think can be found at a pharmacy for not too much money).

Or use a magnifying glass. I know someone with a degenerative eye condition (macular degeneration, maybe?) who does just that.

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the King." (1 Peter 2:17)
Federation of North-American Explorers - North Star Group - How You Can Help

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:34 am 
Eminent
Eminent

Religion: Католик
Paperbacks fast disappearing?

Hmm, just like papyri. I think some 80 percent of documents written by Latin writers 2000 years ago are completely lost.

Abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes. (Gaudium et Spes, 51)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:41 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Bagheera wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

You could always take one pair of glasses off and put on a pair of reading glasses (which I think can be found at a pharmacy for not too much money).

Or use a magnifying glass. I know someone with a degenerative eye condition (macular degeneration, maybe?) who does just that.

I have not yet found a pair of "readers" that work - with the degeneration of my arm, holding a book and turning the pages is plenty of work, adding an mag glass, I'd just go find something different to read that is free for Kindle :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:00 pm 

I don't know about paperbacks, but I've seen whole bookstores disappear in my area. E-books are extremely popular. I was having a conversation the other day about this. My friends seem to prefer e-books. I'm very traditional. I won't use e-books as I prefer actual, physical books. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:01 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Yes, indeed. Books are books. eBooks aren't.

I now get most of my books used on Amazon. They are cheap, especially considering the cost of gas and not being able to find a book I want at the local store. Since I don't save many books anymore, I have less angst donating a $4 book (cost+postage) to the library after reading it than I would have donating a $8-10 paperback that I purchased new.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:21 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
Yes, indeed. Books are books. eBooks aren't.

I now get most of my books used on Amazon. They are cheap, especially considering the cost of gas and not being able to find a book I want at the local store. Since I don't save many books anymore, I have less angst donating a $4 book (cost+postage) to the library after reading it than I would have donating a $8-10 paperback that I purchased new.

Which is why you receive different sorts of books these days.

GKC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:28 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Paperbacks. Not real books.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:15 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
Paperbacks. Not real books.

Oh.

Brace yourself.

Bought 2 Ian Douglas books last week. Now to find the time to read them.

GKC

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 4   [ 65 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next