Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Christmas.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:38 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
Well, I got:

Grant and Cheape's Periods in Highland History. Necessary for one of my ilk.

Shingleton's High Seas Confederate: The Life and Times of John Newland Maffitt. Purportedly given to expand what the giver believes is a deficit in my lifetime study of the American Civil War. I think it is a clandestine attempt to indoctrinate me into sympathy with a reprobate Rebel.

Prados' Islands of Destiny: The Solomons Campaign and the Eclipse of the Rising Sun. WWII, Pacific, Marines -- what else could one wish for in a book? Purportedly a bit revisionist. But it's about the Solomons, so it has to be pretty good.

Not one of these was other than secondhand, gifted to me by the one of whom we shall not speak, but equal in number to all other gifts I received. So the gift has to be pretty good.

Oh, and a hologram of Marse Robert.

Plus, Longellow's, The Song of Hiawatha. Illustrated by Frederick Remington. Which I bought for myself; meaning I got something I've been wanting for decades.

HIGH SEAS CONFEDERATE was not second hand. It was, OTOH, very cheap, and purchased directly from the publisher, in duplicate.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:45 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Well, I got:

Shingleton's High Seas Confederate: The Life and Times of John Newland Maffitt. Purportedly given to expand what the giver believes is a deficit in my lifetime study of the American Civil War. I think it is a clandestine attempt to indoctrinate me into sympathy with a reprobate Rebel.

Prados' Islands of Destiny: The Solomons Campaign and the Eclipse of the Rising Sun. WWII, Pacific, Marines -- what else could one wish for in a book? Purportedly a bit revisionist. But it's about the Solomons, so it has to be pretty good.

Not one of these was other than secondhand, gifted to me by the one of whom we shall not speak, but equal in number to all other gifts I received. So the gift has to be pretty good.

Plus, Longellow's, The Song of Hiawatha. Illustrated by Frederick Remington. Which I bought for myself; meaning I got something I've been wanting for decades.

HIGH SEAS CONFEDERATE was not second hand. It was, OTOH, very cheap, and purchased directly from the publisher, in duplicate.

GKC
Mea culpa.

Should you ask me, whence these stories?
Whence these legends and traditions, ...

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:45 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:
Well, I got:

GKC
Mea culpa.

Should you ask me, whence these stories?
Whence these legends and traditions, ...

With the odor of the forest,
With the dew and damp of meadows, ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:13 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

GKC wrote:
Norwegianblue wrote:
I got some books too. :fyi:

A good sign.

Titles?

GKC

Union with God, Columba Marmion.

The Immaculate Deception, Jim Gallagher. On Christina Gallagher and her houses of prayer

Consolidating Conquest: Ireland 1603-1727, Padraig Lenihan.

Gaelic Ireland, ca 1250-1650: Land, Lordship and Settlement, Duffy, Edwards & Fitzpatrick (eds).

Universe and Creed, Stanley L Jacki.

The Art of the Hobbit, Tolkien, Hammond & Scull

1001 natt, Vetle Lid Larssen. A book on two Norwegian sailors who were caputred and carried off into slavery on the Barbary coast.

Svaret, Tor Bomann-Larsen. A part of the biography series on Haakon VI, covering part of the war.

Nord-Korea; ni år på flukt fra helvete, Eunsun Kim. About a family's flight from North Korea.

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:31 pm 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
Norwegianblue wrote:
Livet til sylteagurk
:shock: :shock:

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:49 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Norwegianblue wrote:
Livet til sylteagurk
:shock: :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

'The only cure for sagging or fainting faith is Communion.... Like the act of Faith it must be continuous and grow by exercise. Frequency is of the highest effect. Seven times a week is more nourishing than seven times at intervals.'
J.R.R. Tolkien

Blasé member of PPPA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:51 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Norwegianblue wrote:
GKC wrote:
Norwegianblue wrote:
I got some books too. :fyi:

A good sign.

Titles?

GKC

Union with God, Columba Marmion.

The Immaculate Deception, Jim Gallagher. On Christina Gallagher and her houses of prayer

Consolidating Conquest: Ireland 1603-1727, Padraig Lenihan.

Gaelic Ireland, ca 1250-1650: Land, Lordship and Settlement, Duffy, Edwards & Fitzpatrick (eds).

Universe and Creed, Stanley L Jacki.

The Art of the Hobbit, Tolkien, Hammond & Scull

1001 natt, Vetle Lid Larssen. A book on two Norwegian sailors who were caputred and carried off into slavery on the Barbary coast.

Svaret, Tor Bomann-Larsen. A part of the biography series on Haakon VI, covering part of the war.

Nord-Korea; ni år på flukt fra helvete, Eunsun Kim. About a family's flight from North Korea.

Of these, I have a fair amount of Jaki. I think I have ART OF THE HOBBIT. But a good haul, I'd guess.

I went today to my favorite used book store: six titles, at 40% off, plus one for my wife. May have to return for one more for her.

GKC

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ]   Go to page Previous  1, 2