Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]   
Author Message
 Post subject: Dowling's History of Romanism
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:08 am 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:15 am
Posts: 4882
Religion: Catholic
I seem to have come across what looks like a first edition of this awe-inspiring work of anti-Catholicism. What should I do with it?

_________________
http://www.popinainteasy.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dowling's History of Romanism
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:43 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19738
HalJordan wrote:
I seem to have come across what looks like a first edition of this awe-inspiring work of anti-Catholicism. What should I do with it?



1846? Edwin Walker?

I'd do what I always do. Keep it for reference.

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dowling's History of Romanism
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:26 pm 
Offline
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:15 am
Posts: 4882
Religion: Catholic
GKC wrote:
HalJordan wrote:
I seem to have come across what looks like a first edition of this awe-inspiring work of anti-Catholicism. What should I do with it?



1846? Edwin Walker?

I'd do what I always do. Keep it for reference.

GKC


Not sure what references id use it for. It's pretty nutty. Not exo-vaticana crazy but still crazy

_________________
http://www.popinainteasy.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dowling's History of Romanism
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:38 pm 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19738
HalJordan wrote:
GKC wrote:
HalJordan wrote:
I seem to have come across what looks like a first edition of this awe-inspiring work of anti-Catholicism. What should I do with it?



1846? Edwin Walker?

I'd do what I always do. Keep it for reference.

GKC


Not sure what references id use it for. It's pretty nutty. Not exo-vaticana crazy but still crazy


Makes a handy reference as to what Dowling's HISTORY OF ROMANISM might say.

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dowling's History of Romanism
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:38 pm 
Offline
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:55 am
Posts: 83233
Location: 1.5532386636 radians
Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I don't know that many people are faced with that question on a regular basis. Or even an irregular one.

_________________
Nos autem in nomine Domini Dei nostri

Need something to read?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dowling's History of Romanism
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:23 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19738
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I don't know that many people are faced with that question on a regular basis. Or even an irregular one.



If that were my criteria, the book/space problem would be much less critical.


GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dowling's History of Romanism
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:31 am 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 76390
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I find that it is often useful to know exactly what the source of is of the wacky ideas that people hold. If someone is cribbing from Loraine Boettner or from Ralph Woodrow or Maria Monk or Charles Chiniquy it is very useful to know this.

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dowling's History of Romanism
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:33 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19738
Doom wrote:
I find that it is often useful to know exactly what the source of is of the wacky ideas that people hold. If someone is cribbing from Loraine Boettner or from Ralph Woodrow or Maria Monk or Charles Chiniquy it is very useful to know this.



I don't think I've got Chiniquy. Though I might.

As to the others....hehehe.

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dowling's History of Romanism
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43 am 
Offline
King of Cool
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 1:30 pm
Posts: 76390
Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I don't know that many people are faced with that question on a regular basis. Or even an irregular one.


Well you certainly won't if you don't have it.....it's like when I go to buy a new tool.....am I going to use a hacksaw? An electric screwdriver? I certainly can't use them if I don't have them.

_________________
Excelsior!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dowling's History of Romanism
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:51 am 
Offline
Some Poor Bibliophile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22 pm
Posts: 19738
Doom wrote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I don't know that many people are faced with that question on a regular basis. Or even an irregular one.


Well you certainly won't if you don't have it.....it's like when I go to buy a new tool.....am I going to use a hacksaw? An electric screwdriver? I certainly can't use them if I don't have them.



I once went shopping with a friend. I bought books, of course (one was the autobio of Christopher Robin Milne). My friend wandered off in the mall to a hardware store. When we met up again, I asked what he had bought. A speedometer cable crimping tool was the answer. Do you often have to crimp a speedometer cable, I asked. No, but if I ever have to, now I have the tool.

I understood.

GKC

_________________
"I tell you naught for your comfort,
Yea, naught for your desire,
Save that the sky grows darker yet
And the sea rises higher."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]   


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Jump to: