Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gnosis, Book One, Spread - Amazon Kindle. Catholic Sci-Fi?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:16 pm 

Religion: Catholic
Hello all. New here and still exploring the the site.

Found this on Amazon Kindle. Strange book. I think the guy's a catholic. Seems to be reacting to polarised views on human origins and the whole God Vs Science thing. It's kind of Sci-fi/fantacy but using Genesis and the Fall as a springboard for playing with ideas. Definitely the first time I've read anything in the Science fiction genre that has characters discussing transubstantiation and the ontological argument!

It's a little different - would be interesting to see what anyone else thinks of it. There is some use of bad language in it (which I think could have been avoided) and it seems a little odd in the way it's paced at times but overall I found it interesting.

Post subject: Re: Gnosis, Book One, Spread - Amazon Kindle. Catholic Sci-F
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:31 am 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Church Affiliations: OCDS
mmm... Doubt he's orthodox if Catholic.... looks like he's mixing belief systems....

The image of the Mother of God demonstrates the basic spiritual attitude which corresponds to woman’s natural vocation; her relation to her husband is one of obedience, trust, and participation in his life as she furthers his objective tasks and personality development; to the child she gives true care, encouragement, and formation of his God-given talents; she offers both selfless surrender and a quiet withdrawal when unneeded. -
Edith Stein

Formerly Sunmumy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:29 pm 

sunmumy wrote:
mmm... Doubt he's orthodox if Catholic.... looks like he's mixing belief systems....

That's what I thought. But one of the main characters is actually orthodox theologically. He seems to be drawing a parallel between Gnosticism and modernity (in particular the belief in science as an exclusive route to truth) and older sects obsessed with hidden knowledge as a route to salvation. The fantasy element is barely developed but seems to be a device to explore sociological/moral implications of Genesis and the fall.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:43 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Downloaded the free sample.

I used to like the Sci Fi Catholic blog, seems to be unmaintained now :(

Did like some of the stories in a couple of anthologies called "Infinite Space, Infinite God". There was some unorthodox stuff, some silly stuff and a couple of gems.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:47 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Ech. First chapter put the nail in the coffin for me. If it were a story written by a 13 year old friend, I'd read more.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:56 am 

kage_ar wrote:
Ech. First chapter put the nail in the coffin for me. If it were a story written by a 13 year old friend, I'd read more.

:laughhard It's no Dostoevsky I suppose. I enjoyed it though (that must say a lot about me!). What did you find so awful about it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:48 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

pat list wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

:laughhard It's no Dostoevsky I suppose. I enjoyed it though (that must say a lot about me!). What did you find so awful about it?

I've 13 year old friends who can out write the author. It was painful to read. I have so many books and so little time, cannot spend hours drudging through (this is from memory, so pardon me if I get it a bit wrong) "A brand new, off white, Mercedes S Class pulled into the station."

Kindle publishing is a double edged world, to mix a metaphor.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:40 pm 

kage_ar wrote:
pat list wrote:
kage_ar wrote:

I've 13 year old friends who can out write the author. It was painful to read. I have so many books and so little time, cannot spend hours drudging through (this is from memory, so pardon me if I get it a bit wrong) "A brand new, off white, Mercedes S Class pulled into the station."

Kindle publishing is a double edged world, to mix a metaphor.

Yeah, I thought the same but I think Mercedes do sell the S Class in off white, on Continental Europe. :laughhard