Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Truth of California History
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:46 pm 

Religion: Protestant
Church Affiliations: None
Did the friars enslave the California Indians?
Did the friars whip and beat the California Indians who were dragged to the missions?
Did an overwhelming number of Spanish soldiers keep the tens of thousands of savage California Indians at bay?

Learn the truth about these lies by reading The King's Highway, Book Two of Father Serra's Legacy by Dale Day [US Army Master Sergeant – Retired] available in paperback and e-book format at bluewoodpublishing.com

Post subject: Re: The Truth of California History
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:15 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
As a general statement, virtually all of the European colonizers in the Americas can be found to have treated the native peoples unjustly over centuries of time. You can no doubt, find examples of that even among the religious orders that came with that colonization, but that is not the Catholic faith. That is man's brokenness and failure to truly and justly love their brothers, no matter what their intentions. That is only part of the picture, however. Examples also abound, of Catholic clergy and religious defending to their deaths, the rights and dignity of native peoples as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:20 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I think the OP is trying to point out that the legends concerning mistreatment in the missions are vastly overblown. (The same might be said of the Jesuit Reductions in South America, BTW.)

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:24 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Church Affiliations: Knights of Columbus
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
I think the OP is trying to point out that the legends concerning mistreatment in the missions are vastly overblown. (The same might be said of the Jesuit Reductions in South America, BTW.)

Right, and any good history of Fr. Serra I'm sure is well worth reading. Mine was just a general statement along those lines.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:24 pm 

Religion: Protestant
Church Affiliations: None
Thank you all for your responses.

The questions are based upon what is taught in many public schools as politically correct. My effort in writing the Father Serra's Legacy novels is to set the record straight. One has to understand that the history of California is based, generally, on the writing of Hubert Howe Bancroft. Bancroft was a Midwestern Protestant who hated the Catholic church and all it stands for. He went to San Francisco and had a team go out and gather all the records of the missions and other government locals, including writings by those who lived there. He complied and edited this information, putting it into a format that served his own bias and bigotry.

One has to put everything into context.

A small band of less than 100 soldiers, most seriously ill with scurvy and disenteria, passed through hundreds of league of unknown territory without firing a single musket shot to wound or kill the thousands of Indians they met. Then, two friars, supported by 5 soldiers, set out to build complex missions, each pair drawing hundreds of Indians to join their efforts - only 1 death incurred and that by the only savage Indians in California, the Kumeyaay of the San Diego area.

For the next 50 years, these devoted friars gave their lives for the betterment of the Indians who they looked upon as their children. As for mistreating the Indians, they only so-called "mistreatment" was an occasional spanking, public shaming, or brief incarceration. The friars punished themselves a thousand times worse with flagellating themselves in front of their disciples.

I think people will gladly read to see the awesome dedication and devotion of the friars who left everything they knew behind to set off into a new and unknown world. They spent 24 hours of every day in prayer and devotion, doing amazing things to create gems in California - some of the most beautiful churches and industrial complexes in North America.