Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dracula by Bram Stoker
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:37 pm 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
I started reading this for the first time in late 2009 and I got about 4/5 of the way through it and never finished it....since I can't stand having something incomplete I decided that it is finally time to finish the book...I decided that after 3+ years the only sensible thing to do is start over....I'm now in chapter 9 (of 27 so I'm about 1/3 of the way through).....

You know....it is a little sad that Dracula has become such a big, iconic character...because this entire story is a mystery story...the mystery is 'what's the deal with Dracula, what are these weird powers he has, how has he lived so long, what the hell is the deal with the bite on Lucy's neck etc etc etc' the solution to the mystery is that Dracula is a vampire....I appears that this fact was originally supposed to be something of a shocking revelation at the time the book was originally published....

But Dracula has become such an iconic character that it is basically impossible for anyone to read this book not knowing that he is a vampire....any sense of mystery is pretty much impossible to sustain.....

It's still an excellent work of gothic horror....but I do wish that I could somehow eliminate my knowledge of the 'shocking twist' from my mind so that I could have the same experience as the original readers

Post subject: Re: Dracula by Bram Stoker
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:55 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Religion: Catholic
From a movie standpoint, that was the way things were with me and Psycho.

I can't imagine what it was like for audiences when they first found out what the deal was with Norman Bates and his mom.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:10 pm 
King of Cool

HalJordan wrote:

I can't imagine what it was like for audiences when they first found out what the deal was with Norman Bates and his mom.

The real twisty it's Psycho is that the alleged 'star' of the movie, Janet Leigh, dies in the first half hour and that story t turns or to not be about her at all. Imagine doing that today, take one of the biggest stars working in Hollywood, make the entire advertising campaign new about about that actor and then kill him off previously on the first scene.Would never happen. Imagine if Julia Roberts died during the first half hour of 'Erin Brockavich'....in addition to making it a much better movie it would be shocking to learn that the person who promoted as the star is barely even in the movie.

Last edited by Doom on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:51 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

HalJordan wrote:

A shock, in my case.

GKC

And the sea rises higher."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:10 pm 
King of Cool

I finished chapter 15, I could easily finish the entire book tonight if I really wanted to....but I think I need to stop reading....otherwise I'm likely to spend all night dreaming about the book.....and that won't make for a pleasant night's sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
HalJordan wrote:

The real twisty it's Psycho is that the alleged 'star' of the movie, Janet Leigh, dies in the first half hour and that story t turns or to not be about her at all. Imagine doing that today, take one of the biggest stars working in Hollywood, make the entire advertising campaign new about about that actor and then kill him off previously on the first scene.Would never happen. Imagine if Julia Roberts died during the first half hour of 'Erin Brockavich'....in addition to making it a much better movie it would be shocking to learn that the person who promoted as the star is barely even in the movie.

My parents made that comparison with Steven Seagal in Executive Decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Doom wrote:
I finished chapter 15, I could easily finish the entire book tonight if I really wanted to....but I think I need to stop reading....otherwise I'm likely to spend all night dreaming about the book.....and that won't make for a pleasant night's sleep.

Which is how Bram Stoker came up with the plot. Allegedly, he had nightmares after eating some bad crab for supper one night.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:43 pm 
King of Cool

HalJordan wrote:
Doom wrote:

Which is how Bram Stoker came up with the plot. Allegedly, he had nightmares after eating some bad crab for supper one night.

I've never heard that.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:30 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Quick google

http://public.wsu.edu/~delahoyd/dracula.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 pm 
King of Cool

Finished it today, I am definitely going to have to read this again....preferably around Halloween

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:39 pm 
Trophy Dwarf
Trophy Dwarf

Religion: Catholic Convert
Church Affiliations: Dorothy Day Guild
Another that I like to re-read is Frankenstein.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:28 am 

This book makes my top five favorite novels list. It is one I re-read almost every year, which given that my job entails reading, says a lot. I have read a lot of Stoker's other fiction, but nothing comes close, not even "The Jewel of the Seven Stars".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:07 pm 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

Location: The carrefour of ignorance is bliss & knowledge is power.
Religion: The One with All the Marks.
HalJordan wrote:
Doom wrote:

As someone else said: "You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you..."

- I try to have a little something for everybody in my posts. If you notice a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error... well... I put that in for you.

- I remember a lot of things. (Some of which actually happened.)

- Even the best of men may be born in times unsuited to their virtues.