Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: David Bentley Hart "Atheist Delusions:..."
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:05 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Religion: Roman Catholic
"Atheist Delusions: The Christian Revolution and Its Fashionable Enemies" is one heck of a book.

David Bentley Hart digs into the issues much deeper than other Christian apologetical works I have read.

Many times it just seems that books of this sort offer an attack on criticisms directed at Christianity; but, Hart does a good job of showing what exactly Christianity replaced when it came into the late antique period of the Roman Empire. Contrasting Christianity's message with that of various pagan beliefs. Showing that the pagan world wasn't simply brimming with earthy, happy, content souls.

He takes aim Ramsay MacMullen's methods and tendencies - which at first I thought was kind of bold of him. Hart is more philosopher than historian, relative to MacMullen.

Anyway - really enjoying this.

Post subject: Re: David Bentley Hart "Atheist Delusions:..."
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:44 am 
Sons of Thunder
Sons of Thunder

I read it some time ago. The first half was good. The second half... can't remember.

Hart denies the eternity of hell in the book. He's Orthodox.