Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "The Power of Silence" - Robert Cardinal Sarah
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:42 am 
Master
Master

Religion: Roman Catholic
A very good book. I started reading it first like how you would read a novel.... but there's just too much content.
It has a layout that is similar to Fr. Escriva's "The Way"; but the bullet points have much more content.
And they are all related to various questions posed by Nicolas Diat.

There's a theme that keeps coming up that in order to achieve a silence of spirit internally we must practice asceticism, we must mortify ourselves from our consuming passions/desires/appetites.
I'm sure this obvious to most... but for a glutton of junk food myself many times I think I can drag that along with me.

Another theme is the 'poor choice of drug' that noise is. Here's the section by Cardinal Sarah:
Quote:
Without nose, man is feverish, lost. Noise gives him security, like a drug on which he has become dependent. With its festive appearance, noise is a whirlwind that avoids facing itself. Agitation becomes a tranquilizer, a sedative, a morphine pump, a sort of reverie, an incoherent dream-word. But this noise is dangerous, deceptive medicine, a diabolic lie that helps man avoid confronting himself in his interior emptiness. The awakening will necessarily be brutal.

Post subject: Re: "The Power of Silence" - Robert Cardinal Sarah
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:48 pm 
Handmaids of the Lord
Handmaids of the Lord

Religion: Catholic
Church Affiliations: Third Order Lay Carmelite
I read that book and liked it very much. I can open it anywhere to read a few paragaphs and be inspired again.