Login Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A week ago ...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:05 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

I bought 33 books.

In case anyone thought I had slowed down.

And the sea rises higher."

Post subject: Re: A week ago ...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 pm 
There Can Be Only One

Religion: Catholic
Only 33? You are. Slowing down.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:22 pm 
Adept
Adept

Religion: Christian
Two weeks ago on vacation with my daughter in Pittsburgh. She and her cousin saw books being thrown in a dumpster behind a used book store going out of business. The girl that can browse for days on minimal nourishment, lost in the stacks, at Powells Book Store in Portland, was heart sick. They were not capable of saving the majority but the ones that were saved are like gold.

But our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, our Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:56 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

EtcumSpiri22-0 wrote:
Two weeks ago on vacation with my daughter in Pittsburgh. She and her cousin saw books being thrown in a dumpster behind a used book store going out of business. The girl that can browse for days on minimal nourishment, lost in the stacks, at Powells Book Store in Portland, was heart sick. They were not capable of saving the majority but the ones that were saved are like gold.

Books are like that, yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:58 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:

Well, that was only on the Friday. Probably another 4-5 in addition, last week. And I've been sick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:42 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
I bought one. And all my friends yell at me because they don't want to move books again.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:33 am 
King of Cool

Religion: Anticukite Catholic
Not wanting to move books is 99% of the reason I rarely buy books in print anymore and mainly read ebooks and audiobooks.

Therefore.....let it burn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:47 am 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Church Affiliations: 4th Degree KofC
But sometimes when I go by the bargain table at Barnes & Noble, I just can't help it.

Need something to read?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:54 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
But sometimes when I go by the bargain table at Barnes & Noble, I just can't help it.

One such temptation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:57 am 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Doom wrote:
Not wanting to move books is 99% of the reason I rarely buy books in print anymore and mainly read ebooks and audiobooks.

My child, who is, in this, a junior edition of myself, has just moved, military PCS, to a new duty station. While her holdings are not as ridiculous as mine, one reason we are visiting her soon is to unpack the books.

And she does read electrons. I must have stumbled somewhere in her upbringing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:27 am 
There Can Be Only One

GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Well, that was only on the Friday. Probably another 4-5 in addition, last week. And I've been sick.
That's probably it. Have you seen a doctor?

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:08 pm 
There Can Be Only One

EtcumSpiri22-0 wrote:
... Powells Book Store in Portland ...
I visited Powell's City of Books about two years ago. If one buys books, one must surely have heard of it. Powell's advertises itself as the largest independent new and used bookstore in the world. I nearly had a case of the vapors anticipating the experience and had cleared a good two hours out of a demanding day to revel in the stacks.

It was my greatest disappointment ever in book browsing. Yes, it has nearly an infinite number of books, but finding those that interested me and enjoying the browsing experience were issues. In most book stores there is a certain reverence for the volumes, the arrays of volumes, one's fellow bibliophiles, the smell of paper and ink of various vintages, the quiet shuffling of feet of the seekers -- of being with like minded people in a brotherhood of love for books.

Powells was more like a Texas liquor store a half hour before closing on Saturday night. It was packed with people. In some areas, elbow to elbow. There were kids running around, parents shouting for kids when not ramming baby carriages through clusters of customers, what appeared to be busloads of Japanese and European tourists wandering around and taking lots of photos with lots of flashes, people pushing around and through and into the browsers, some browsers sitting in the narrow aisles and completely blocking them and either refusing to move or moving with ample eye rolling and aggrieved sighing. It was thoroughly unpleasant.

In addition, for a first time visitor, it requires the navigational skills of a smart bomb to read the signs directing one to the area of one's interests. The signage is contradictory, confusing, and inaccurate at times. Combine that with the labyrinth of stairs and narrow passages and different floors and half floors of different levels that is the physical layout of Powells and one can waste a good part of one's two hours trying to find the military history and science fiction sections. In one case, I had to go from one part of the third floor (I think) to the ground floor and then find a way to get back up to the third floor to continue my time consuming search -- cause it was impossible to reach parts of the floor from other parts of the floor. Asking employees for help wasn't a solution as they were absent and, generally, uninterested.

I picked up 3-4 books and, upon reaching the checkout area, just put them down again. One look at the mayhem and the even surlier employees, and I decided not to pass through that Scylla and Charybdis to buy my books.

To be fair, I think I would have enjoyed Powells had I been there on a quiet day when its denizens were folks like me. People who came for the books and not the experience of being able to claim they had visited the store. I don't see how I could enjoy the employees, who almost universally seemed to think that interacting with customers was ruining whatever else they would rather be doing.

So, was my experience normal or an anomaly?

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:51 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Not at the book store.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:56 pm 
There Can Be Only One

GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:
GKC wrote:
Highlander wrote:

Not at the book store.
You could have looked in the Health and Medical Sciences section.

Benedicamus Domino!
~Hilaire Belloc

Semper Fi!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:52 pm 
Criminally Insane Cucumber

Religion: The True One
Church Affiliations: OblSB
Someday, I will make it to Loome. :fyi:

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:52 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

Highlander wrote:
EtcumSpiri22-0 wrote:
... Powells Book Store in Portland ...
I visited Powell's City of Books about two years ago. If one buys books, one must surely have heard of it. Powell's advertises itself as the largest independent new and used bookstore in the world. I nearly had a case of the vapors anticipating the experience and had cleared a good two hours out of a demanding day to revel in the stacks.

It was my greatest disappointment ever in book browsing. Yes, it has nearly an infinite number of books, but finding those that interested me and enjoying the browsing experience were issues. In most book stores there is a certain reverence for the volumes, the arrays of volumes, one's fellow bibliophiles, the smell of paper and ink of various vintages, the quiet shuffling of feet of the seekers -- of being with like minded people in a brotherhood of love for books.

Powells was more like a Texas liquor store a half hour before closing on Saturday night. It was packed with people. In some areas, elbow to elbow. There were kids running around, parents shouting for kids when not ramming baby carriages through clusters of customers, what appeared to be busloads of Japanese and European tourists wandering around and taking lots of photos with lots of flashes, people pushing around and through and into the browsers, some browsers sitting in the narrow aisles and completely blocking them and either refusing to move or moving with ample eye rolling and aggrieved sighing. It was thoroughly unpleasant.

In addition, for a first time visitor, it requires the navigational skills of a smart bomb to read the signs directing one to the area of one's interests. The signage is contradictory, confusing, and inaccurate at times. Combine that with the labyrinth of stairs and narrow passages and different floors and half floors of different levels that is the physical layout of Powells and one can waste a good part of one's two hours trying to find the military history and science fiction sections. In one case, I had to go from one part of the third floor (I think) to the ground floor and then find a way to get back up to the third floor to continue my time consuming search -- cause it was impossible to reach parts of the floor from other parts of the floor. Asking employees for help wasn't a solution as they were absent and, generally, uninterested.

I picked up 3-4 books and, upon reaching the checkout area, just put them down again. One look at the mayhem and the even surlier employees, and I decided not to pass through that Scylla and Charybdis to buy my books.

To be fair, I think I would have enjoyed Powells had I been there on a quiet day when its denizens were folks like me. People who came for the books and not the experience of being able to claim they had visited the store. I don't see how I could enjoy the employees, who almost universally seemed to think that interacting with customers was ruining whatever else they would rather be doing.

So, was my experience normal or an anomaly?

Beats me. Their site online looks uninviting. And I can't follow their online stock.

I'll take Acres of Books in Long Beach. If they were still in business.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:56 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

gherkin wrote:
Someday, I will make it to Loome. :fyi:

I dealt with them, back when I was in the business.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:57 pm 

OK, I hate to do it, but I am going to. I have four shelves in my office at home, and some good-sized shelves in my office at work. I do not use the shelves at work for very many books, because I usually work at home. So my four shelves are kinda where it's at. Not that I don't have a few piles here and there on the floor and such. And then there's the small shelf. My personal books are pretty much confined to those four shelves. Now, we've got many shelves downstairs for family books. Kid books, school books, etc. But my books go on the four shelves. And that has taken some work. I have sold and given away many books in order to attain this kind of compactness. Just a few months ago, I did a large Amazon buy back deal. I sent them a large box of books. They gave me a $300 credit (or thereabouts). And I used it....not for books (mostly), but for a few needed items for the house.

Keeping it down. I'm keeping it under control. I'm not good at it, but I'm learning.

Suscipe me secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam: et non confundas me ab exspectatione mea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:41 pm 
Some Poor Bibliophile

gherkin wrote:
OK, I hate to do it, but I am going to. I have four shelves in my office at home, and some good-sized shelves in my office at work. I do not use the shelves at work for very many books, because I usually work at home. So my four shelves are kinda where it's at. Not that I don't have a few piles here and there on the floor and such. And then there's the small shelf. My personal books are pretty much confined to those four shelves. Now, we've got many shelves downstairs for family books. Kid books, school books, etc. But my books go on the four shelves. And that has taken some work. I have sold and given away many books in order to attain this kind of compactness. Just a few months ago, I did a large Amazon buy back deal. I sent them a large box of books. They gave me a $300 credit (or thereabouts). And I used it....not for books (mostly), but for a few needed items for the house.

Keeping it down. I'm keeping it under control. I'm not good at it, but I'm learning.

Hmmph.

My personal books are pretty much confined to one house/garage/attic, and two rented storage units, plus a small shed. Not counting those on loan. I'm learning, too. Every day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:48 pm 

GKC wrote:
Hmmph.

I hear you, brother. I hear you. It's tough on me, too. :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]   Go to page 1, 2  Next